PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chiefs fans debate trading 3rd pick overall for Matt Cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Us Chiefs fans have not been as lucky as you Patriot fans. We have not got the cheating thing down yet!

you do have the losing thing down!

Hopefully if some of your fans go through with the LJ trade that has been proposed on this site then some of the loosing would rub off on your team:)

How about a package with gonzalez, LJ, and KCs first rounder for cassel and a second rounder. LJ has stated that he wants to play closer to home. I know he has a history outside of football, but I wonder if he would strive in our system

The Chiefs should probably kick in their 2010 first rounder to make this trade a little more fair. :)

they can trade down the #3 pick...

Or............ swap it to Carolina for Peppers who in turn, the Panthers (no first rounders anyway) could go for QB Matt Stafford to groom under the Jakester for a year. They will be in QB hell shortly as Jake looked like dog poop in the playoffs and he is now 34 years old. Stafford will not get thrown into "The Joey Harrington circle of dismal failure as a franchise savior" in Carolina like he would in Detroit. The Lions at 0-16 have more than a QB issue. Stafford would beg on his hands and knees to go to the Panthers versus the Lions.

That #3 pick and the Chiefs #34 pick in round two and we give them our #23 pick and we get Peppers ($15m for Cassel to stay versus perhaps $9m for Peppers). Pioli keeps a first rounder in the pure Pats way of doing things. It all makes perfect sense. We might have to give the Panthers a fifth rounder to sweeten the pot or not.

It has been stated that there are 37 players with a first round grade in this draft class. We would sit at #34. So, in essence a late first rounder plus Julius Peppers for Cassel? Who wouldn't take that deal.
It helps us, the Chiefs and the Panthers.
DW Toys

Or............ swap it to Carolina for Peppers who in turn, the Panthers (no first rounders anyway) could go for QB Matt Stafford to groom under the Jakester for a year. They will be in QB hell shortly as Jake looked like dog poop in the playoffs and he is now 34 years old. Stafford will not get thrown into "The Joey Harrington circle of dismal failure as a franchise savior" in Carolina like he would in Detroit. The Lions at 0-16 have more than a QB issue. Stafford would beg on his hands and knees to go to the Panthers versus the Lions.

That #3 pick and the Chiefs #34 pick in round two and we give them our #23 pick and we get Peppers ($15m for Cassel to stay versus perhaps $9m for Peppers). Pioli keeps a first rounder in the pure Pats way of doing things. It all makes perfect sense. We might have to give the Panthers a fifth rounder to sweeten the pot or not.

It has been stated that there are 37 players with a first round grade in this draft class. We would sit at #34. So, in essence a late first rounder plus Julius Peppers for Cassel? Who wouldn't take that deal.
It helps us, the Chiefs and the Panthers.
DW Toys

Not I. Peppers doesn't have a position, and you want to pay him $9 miillion per? Is it probable the Patss could play a 290 lb OLB that was not exactly an edge setter in Carolina, never mind the quickness to cover anybody. I suppose he would improve the rush by sitting Warren on passing downs. Seymour had as many sacks and is a better interior rusher.:eek:

I don't want to touch the LJ talk (ps, working him into a stable is the best possible situation for the "lots of wear on the tread" back...) or the Gonzo talk (tempting as it is from a dream point of view.)

Just talking about trade value for Cassel:

Clearly Pioli knows how to trade down and get value for the 3 overall. Regardless, what we are expressing on this thread (see the guy w/the list of high draft pick busts,) is that the draft affords you high upside and high risk. What Cassel gives you is pretty decent upside and very low risk; i.e. he is proven, and he CAN get better. Obviously it doesn't hurt that Pioli's "picked" him once already.

What are you looking for with a #3 overall guy? Obviously a superstar, but that's also not necessarily what you get. In most cases, you are hoping that you will get a significant NFL player who can play right out of the box.

Well, that's what Cassel already is.

So to me, sure, a GOOD NFL QB, with some upside potential still, represents a significant enough upgrade to merit a #3 overall. I'm sure this will piss off the usual crop of draftniks, but they're never right anyway so I'm only so worried about that LOL.

Do I think Pioli does it? Do I think the Carolina scenario is sexier? No, and yes. But we'll see. As I recall we'll be alllllll the way up to the Combine soon. We have a ways to go.

PFnV

if we do a trade with kc i can hear espn now. "pioli trying to help his old team", "pioli still working for pats", "pioli and bb, friends for life", "cheating", "nepotism". if it happens, it will be great. those jest fans at espn will have a coronary.

if we do a trade with kc i can hear espn now. "pioli trying to help his old team", "pioli still working for pats", "pioli and bb, friends for life", "cheating", "nepotism". if it happens, it will be great. those jest fans at espn will have a coronary.

More than likely, every GM who "passed" thinking MC was a flash-in-the-pan will say "DOH!" if Pioli grabs him up. It will prove that a few guys know the facts on Matty and they were wrong in making assumptions.

you do have the losing thing down!

:banned:Well with all our cap space (57 Million) and all your cap space (3.2 Million) I think the gap will close pretty quickly between this year and next year. Who knows, with Pioli here in KC now we will probably buy a couple of your key free agents and draft some of the players that "BB" would of gotten if it wasn't for Pioli defecting to the promise land.:banned:

:banned:Well with all our cap space (57 Million) and all your cap space (3.2 Million) I think the gap will close pretty quickly between this year and next year. Who knows, with Pioli here in KC now we will probably buy a couple of your key free agents and draft some of the players that "BB" would of gotten if it wasn't for Pioli defecting to the promise land.:banned:

bg-1.jpeg

Great post!
DW Toys

I just saw something on Scout KC about Cassel rumors really heating up with KC. I'm not a member, so I couldn't read the full article, but the blurb clearly stated that dialog is in the works.............

Link Please?

Didn't see anything there about rumors "heating up". I WANTED to see it, but i didn't. lol Hopefully in the next couple of hours something good happens with Cassel.

There WERE some forum thoughts on Cassel. Most(KC) fans think a 2nd rounder is ok for Matt.

Didn't see anything there about rumors "heating up". I WANTED to see it, but i didn't. lol Hopefully in the next couple of hours something good happens with Cassel.

There WERE some forum thoughts on Cassel. Most(KC) fans think a 2nd rounder is ok for Matt.

I saw it. When I clicked it I was offered the chance to be poorer. I'd rather just wait and let poorness overtake me in the fullness of time.

This is what the link says :

"Updated Matt Cassel Rumors?
By ChiefsInsider at 4:13pm"

But I can't read it either.

Hopefully if some of your fans go through with the LJ trade that has been proposed on this site then some of the loosing would rub off on your team:)

How dumb can you be?.... he even spelled "losing" correctly in the post that you quoted. Yet you go on to spell it "loosing" what exactly are you "loosing" the chin strap on your protective tard helmet, because its cutting off circulation to your brain?
:rofl:

well for all ya pats fans who wanted the #3 pick this year too bad. I told you he would go for a 2nd round pick and not a 1st round pick.

well for all ya pats fans who wanted the #3 pick this year too bad. I told you he would go for a 2nd round pick and not a 1st round pick.

It's been written by several sources that a 1st and third were offered for Cassel, but it was after the deal with KC had already been filed. You may wish to reserve your "I told you so" for a situation where the alternative wasn't actually offered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST