PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chad Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.
BelichickFan said:
You guys are starting to suck. Go and watch some videos of The Twig.

Perhaps YOU missed the Chris Canty dance party.

Personally, I don't like it when anybody does it on their own as a "Me" thing. But it's quite different when a Rodney Harrison does it AT THE END OF A GAME than when a Chris Canty or some rookie who has questions hovering around him does it. Ever wonder why the rookies on the Patriots are not allowed to talk to the media - - and why the VETS enforce it? Things are different here than, say..... Cincinnati.

That being said, I didn't like it when the Twig danced either. I didn't have a cow over it, just didn't give me the electric thrill it gives you evidently.

shmessy said:
Perhaps YOU missed the Chris Canty dance party.
No I didn't. But Branch did it. Dillon is doing it. Maroney is doing it. It is what it is. You may not like it. I may not like it. But it has nothing, NOTHING, to do with his ability or maturity.

BelichickFan said:
No I didn't. But Branch did it. Dillon is doing it. Maroney is doing it. It is what it is. You may not like it. I may not like it. But it has nothing, NOTHING, to do with his ability or maturity.

Branch and Dillon are proven commodities. Maroney does the Dillon Dance out of respect for his Dillon - - there's a message in that - - it's an obvious tribute to his mentor.

Regarding Jackson, you just don't get it. I NEVER said it had anything to do with his eventual "maturity" or "ability". I happen to think this kid will be a GREAT player. I also hold out hope that he will continue to mature. He seems like a nice kid from the backwater who is a bit out of his comfort zone right now and has gotten unfairly targeted by a wise arse "journalist" at PFW who started a whispering campaign about him.

I'm rooting for him and I defended this kid here the past two weeks against "PFW's Geraldo Rivera". I just didn't care for him turning away from Ben Watson in the EZ so he could do his dance. It's a simple taste thing. I'm in the kid's corner. Don't get all bent out of shape. The greatest non-game moment in Pats history was when they came out together in SB 36 - - THAT'S what make this team different and special to me.

The guy is 21 years old. So he doesn't make a great interview, so what. So he doesn't think on his toes yet and have pre-memorized answers that he's been programmed to say.

Would it really make you feel better if he just spat out the regular BS most players do? Gimme a break.

As for the TD dance, some of you guys need to lighten up. To any of the folks who have a problem with a player celebrating, have you played sports before? To me, it seems like the same type of people who talk about "distractions" and worry about what a player does in his free time. These people don't realize that players are humans too, and actually have lives outside of football which they are completely able to detatch from the field, and have spent their whole lives doing so. If Tom Brady can engage in all out prank wars with Matt Cassell and still be Tom Brady, I don't think we have to worry about a TD dance.

Last edited:
I going to have to punch my ticket for the "why is everyone making a big deal out of nothing?" train.

I see no problem with it. It's a game, and it's fun. If you're dancing when you score a TD in a game you're losing, then I have an issue. People get all worked up over it, but it's just another game the players play. It's just like when Brady spikes the ball against the Raiders or Colts in the playoffs. A player dancing in the end zone does not make him selfish, or a "me-first" player, and does not take away from the concept of the team. The players really don't mind, and if anything, it just gives them some extra ammo to rib the guy in the lockerroom by critiquing his moves.

The original post of this thread was about Jackson not sensing the big picture of the team he's on. It wasn't a post about the touchdown dance. It may not turn out to be anything, but I thought the sentiments of the original post were very perceptive and the (small) fears hinted at, rang true to me. Nobody's pressing any panic button.

Last edited:
I am still not a big fan of Chad, but at least I can see some progress now.

I want to see more of him on the field and if that comes with a silly dance I'll take it.

I just want to follow-up and give Chad credit for last night's game. The touchdown was great, he took a short pass for little gain and willed it into a touchdown. I thought there was another play where he showed good body control in evading a defender but cannot recall it specifically.

The deep catch (called back because of a holding) was nice too and won't show up in his stats. I wanted to see it again because it looked like he used his body well but they wouldn't show a replay and I don't have DVR in the bedroom.

Anyway, I was never looking for him so I have no idea if he was running good routes or blocking well or whatever. I just know that every time the announcers called out his name he looked really good.

He didn't look so good when the announcers called out his name on the false start penalty.

PatsWickedPissah said:
He didn't look so good when the announcers called out his name on the false start penalty.

Or the dropped ball. But the effort on the crawl made up for that. And he didn't dance! :D

Chad looks like he has a world of talent. Great natural ability. But we all know that great raw talent does not translate into a great player, although I have no doubts Chad can become a great player. But further, a great player does not translate automatically into a great member of a championship team.

In today's market of mercenary "gold-mining" in professional sports it gets harder and harder to find players who just want to win, and who are willing to pay the price for the win. Chad needs to learn this aspect of his game, the Patriots' game, if he will pan out as a great contributor to the Patriots' legacy.

He could hone his NFL skills to a high level, then take them to the free market, like Damian Woody and others we don't need to mention; or, he could grow up to learn that to have that winning experience requires that the individual sacrifice something for the good of the team. I hope Chad can do that. If he grows the same heart as Troy Brown, he will be forever remembered in New England. It's up to him, though.

//

I hope BB took him aside and talked to him about Bethel Johnson after the game last night.

Last night was a mixed bag for Chad, and as a CJ homer I have to admit that it wasn't all good. That TD showed what a playmaker he is, it was a fine effort. But the false start and a couple of other times he didn't seem too sure of himself out there.

He didn't return punts much in college, but showed some promise last night, made a good move to get about 10 yards on the return.

It's too bad that 30 yarder was called back - I love the play call of a 3rd and 1 going over the top. It seems pretty much anytime they ask him to, he's beating his man downfield, which is good news. He beat a man on another play in the first half which left Watson open (on replay, I think Brady could've just launched it to CJ deep, but it worked out well anyway).

JackBauer said:
I am still not a big fan of Chad... Mind if I ask why?

If you are going to quote some one do it right don't take things out of context. Here is the entire quote.

I am still not a big fan of Chad, but at least I can see some progress now.

I want to see more of him on the field and if that comes with a silly dance I'll take it.

Last edited:
sieglo said:
I hope BB took him aside and talked to him about Bethel Johnson after the game last night.

There is a big difference between Chad and Bethel. Bethel came to a team with a strong set of receivers. Chad did not. How Chad failed to crack the starting lineup is a bad sign.

It likely will not happen this season now. Gabriel and Reche seem to be getting on track

hallfamebrady said:
There is a big difference between Chad and Bethel. Bethel came to a team with a strong set of receivers. Chad did not. How Chad failed to crack the starting lineup is a bad sign.

:rolleyes:

He's a rookie who left college a year early and came to a complicated system, missing training camp in its entirety due to injury.

He's just supposed to show up and leapfrog three more experienced players? I think in time he will become the #2, but it's going to take a while.

Fogbuster said:
Chad looks like he has a world of talent. Great natural ability. But we all know that great raw talent does not translate into a great player, although I have no doubts Chad can become a great player. But further, a great player does not translate automatically into a great member of a championship team.

In today's market of mercenary "gold-mining" in professional sports it gets harder and harder to find players who just want to win, and who are willing to pay the price for the win. Chad needs to learn this aspect of his game, the Patriots' game, if he will pan out as a great contributor to the Patriots' legacy.

He could hone his NFL skills to a high level, then take them to the free market, like Damian Woody and others we don't need to mention; or, he could grow up to learn that to have that winning experience requires that the individual sacrifice something for the good of the team. I hope Chad can do that. If he grows the same heart as Troy Brown, he will be forever remembered in New England. It's up to him, though.

//

Exactly! The thing is that we need solid core team players. Branch was always solid when it mattered, but ultimately left town in a huff. Jackson will be gone in four years if his goals are 'bigger' than serving the team. We don't know right now, and won't know for sure until the day arrives.

That's why I don't worry about that stuff like a lot of people at this site. I won't wring my hands over Asante or Grambo or whoever, because much as we would like them to be back, it is their choice. The fact is that we will replace them to some degree with fresh young talent out of the draft if they decide to spurn the Pats' value offers. That is the ONLY way to effectively run a long term successful team in the salary cap era. And ANY player can surprise us by leaving town in a huff, after seeing Branch go.

hallfamebrady said:

It likely will not happen this season now. Gabriel and Reche seem to be getting on track

You do realize that Branch and Brown missed time in 2003, right? Patten also went on IR after the 4th game and that was all before Givens had made a name for himslef.

Branch also missed 8 games in 2004 while Brown played sparingly on offense because he played so muich on D.

Why do people insist on the Jackson/Johnson comparison. Chad Jackson is already light years ahead of where Johnson was in his final season here, and the guy has only been healthy enough to play for 6 weeks. Can we drop it please?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe