PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chad Jackson is officially a bust

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's indecisive out there. You can see it. There were more than three plays. Maybe you're watching at home where they don't show the field but I was at the game and whether you think so or not, the guy doesn't know. I watched him run his routes when he was the primary and I watched him when he was the seconary. His route running underneath the linebackers was a jog at times. That's all I've got to say. Like I said, I'm never amazed at what some people are willing to believe.:rolleyes:

Thinking this guy is going to beat out Gaffney this year is comical. I think some of you guys must have bought Chad Jackson game jerseys and don't want to feel let down or something. If he was a free agent pickup, many would have called for his ass to get cut long ago.

When did I ever say he was going to beat out Gaffney? I defy you to find one post where I said that. I have said I am not confident the guy will ever be a solid contributor, but I ain't going to condemn the guy based on one preseason game.

Mankins was manhandled last night after getting manhandled in the Super Bowl. I think I have seen enough in those two games to decide he is a bust too and cut him. I mean last night was a clear indication how all the players will play for the rest of their careers. Since we are making snap judgements based solely on on the first preseason game where 18 players were held out, let's make those snap judgements for every player. Mankin sucks, plain and simple.

In order to be released, Chad Jackson would have to be amazingly bad in practice, and in the games with Brady. It would make no sense to cut him comign off an injury like he is without giving him a fair shot and substantial practice time, neither of which has happened yet. Yesterday basically there was so much that was awful, it's almost like a complete throwout for me. He should stick around, and why not? Can you say Aiken is better than him? I can't.

Good post.

Calling a guy a bust after one preseason game after coming off a season rehabbing an ACL tear is nothing more than playa hating. I defend the guy, but I have no man love for the guy. I am just willing to give him this year to prove himself.

Hey, are you insinuiting that he hasn't been called a bust long before now? :D

It's too early to call this guy a bust. It's the first preseason game and Cassel was running for his life back there.

In Jackson's first game against the Jets his rookie year, he made some spectacular plays and it's unfortunate that he got hurt and stunted his growth. He was also immature and not dedicating himself to learning the offense. But we know this guy can play.

Now that he's more mature and is really learning the offense, let's judge him when he's playing with Brady and a line that can protect the QB.

Gaffney made a terrific catch. He attacked the ball and bought it down. Moss and Walker play with the same aggressiveness. I haven't see anything like this from CJ yet. IMO he really needs to get aggressive. It seemed to me that on the first pass to him he slowed down when he got to the sideline instead of turning up the speed. This was why the defender ran up his legs and Cassel appeared to throw long. He's got the tools...someone needs to hit him with a hammer. He'll get every chance to improve, but I don't know if the franchise will wait an entire year.

Last edited:
As soon as Brady is the QB, I want to see 5 passes thrown CJs way,If the passes are on the mark and CJ makes a play then I think he has at least some hope,If he drops 3 or more of that 5 then get the bum out of New England.

Here come the idiots...

1) How do you know he runs the wrong routes?
2) Do you have a current Patriots play-book?
3) Do you know what plays are being called?
4) I've seen players such as Randy Moss, Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens, James Lofton, Stanley Morgan , etc, etc, drop "easy passes".
5) He's had 2 injuries. His hamstring and his ACL. The ACL happened while he was on the field. Please enlighten everyone on the stretches and strengthening techniques that all football players should be using to ensure that when they are hit from the side on their knee, their ACL doesn't tear. I am sure that Mike Woicik and every other stength and conditioning coach would love to hear from you.

The answers are rhetorical. You don't know he is running the wrong routes. Its YOUR assumption. You certainly don't have a Patriots play-book and you sure as hell don't know what plays are being called. And I am willing to put money that you are clueless about strength and conditioning and the fact there is no way to strengthen the knee so that it can withstand a hit to its side.
Nice common-sense post, but totally wasted on idiots.

When BB says, "I need to see the game tapes to see how everyone did," and posters here say, "I saw all I needed to know from the TV last night," it is plain that either BB is a substandard coach, or people here are either idiots or intent on being negative.

We all have favorites and those we don't like. Pretending we can tell more from listening to Don Criqui, or watching from section 214, or watching Sportscenter than BB can from breaking down game tape is simply ludicrous.

But entertaining :D

Every time I see Chad Jackson I get convinced someone on the Pats Training Staff should be fired. He looks as big as Ben Watson. They list him as 215lbs but he looks more like a linebacker. He needs to loss at least 20lbs of muscle or they need to make him an H-back. This muscle-bound Jackson is explosive but neither quick nor fluid. I want the original receiver we drafted.

Anybody remember WR David Boston?

Every time I see Chad Jackson I get convinced someone on the Pats Training Staff should be fired. He looks as big as Ben Watson. They list him as 215lbs but he looks more like a linebacker. He needs to loss at least 20lbs of muscle or they need to make him an H-back. This muscle-bound Jackson is explosive but neither quick nor fluid. I want the original receiver we drafted.

Anybody remember WR David Boston?

+1. They did the same thing to Bethel Johnson. Put too much weight on and he lost his quickness.

Of course, TO manages just fine with that weight.

Gaffney made a terrific catch. He attacked the ball and bought it down. Moss and Walker play with the same aggressiveness. I haven't see anything like this from CJ yet. IMO he really needs to get aggressive. It seemed to me that on the first pass to him he slowed down when he got to the sideline instead of turning up the speed. This was why the defender ran up his legs and Cassel appeared to throw long. He's got the tools...someone needs to hit him with a hammer. He'll get every chance to improve, but I don't know if the franchise will wait an entire year.
From Wikipedia
On March 16, 2006, Gaffney signed a one-year contract with the Philadelphia Eagles. After a disappointing preseason, he was placed on waivers on September 3. On October 9, 2006, Gaffney signed a two-year deal with the Patriots. On March 5, 2008, Gaffney re-signed with the Patriots for one year worth $2 million.
So the Eagles cut him even though he was a former second round pick,with 171 career receptions and was referred to by ESPN as "another solid player" who "figures to compete for the No. 2 job with Philadelphia".

The Eagles didn't give Gaffney enough of a chance and he went on to have a great career (so far) with the Patriots. I understand Gaffney was caught in a numbers game with the Eagles, but he must have looked like a disappointment in TC and preseason. Just look at him now.

Maybe we should let Jackson have one or two more chances. :)

Can everyone agree then that if he does not show anything over the next two preseason games that he is in fact a bust? I think he is completely useless myself.

Can everyone agree then that if he does not show anything over the next two preseason games that he is in fact a bust? I think he is completely useless myself.

No. If he makes the team there is still a shot for him to earn playing time as the season progresses.

After this season, if he fails to show anything, I will call him a bust.

When he has less yardage receiving than his jersey number - A potential bust is something you can say

Can someone please be slightly more specific about the plays Jackson apparently messed up so bad on last night.

The INT aside (which I suspect was Jackson's fault), people seem to be getting on him for not making anything out of two WR screens which were dead in the water, and the early play where he was tripped. Harsh.

people around here are in love with Chad Jackson. They will always be like "its just this game, you'll see, he'll get better" Personally, I think he's done, and a bust...but I hope I'm wrong. It'd be nice to be wrong on this one.

Can someone please be slightly more specific about the plays Jackson apparently messed up so bad on last night.

The INT aside (which I suspect was Jackson's fault), people seem to be getting on him for not making anything out of two WR screens which were dead in the water, and the early play where he was tripped. Harsh.

Here is a good summary

FOXBOROUGH - This was not the new beginning Chad Jackson was hoping for when he talked about last night's exhibition opener against the Ravens being the starting point for his start-all-over year.

Jackson, who played sparingly last season after returning from a torn anterior cruciate ligament, looked rusty. The third-year player, who hopes to compete for the Patriots' No. 3 receiver job, had just one reception for 0 yards. He dropped another pass after getting slammed by linebacker Jarret Johnson, and was involved in a public dispute with Matt Cassel after the quarterback's pass was intercepted by Fabian Washington in the first quarter.

On the play, Jackson kept going while Cassel was trying to throw the ball to his back shoulder on a stop fade. Afterward, Cassel pointed and gestured at Jackson, and Jackson gave it right back to Cassel. It wasn't quite Carson Palmer and Chad Johnson bickering on the Bengals' sideline last season against the Patriots, but it was an unseemly display, nonetheless.

After the game, Cassel downplayed the dispute, chalking it up to working out the kinks.

"We weren't on the same page on the route and coincidentally when that happens, bad things happen," said Cassel. "So, it's one of those things. It's the first preseason game and we have to get better and get on the right page."

Jackson also had a play in the second quarter on which he appeared to give up on a crossing route, leading to an incompletion. After that play, he jawed with cornerback Frank Walker.

Despite all the talking he did during the game, Jackson was not available for comment after it.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2008/08/08/jackson_not_yet_catching_up/

Not exactly a shining example of good play or good attitude.

Cassell did look horrible last night. He will be gone this year for sure.

Think of when Deion Branch was drafted and what he did, then look at Chad Jackson. Heck look at David Givens who was drafted in what the 7th round?

I've yet to see ANYTHING that makes me think Chad Jackson IS NOT a bust. He's done nothing and Cassell has been even worse. Can you say Rohan Davey part 2? We all wonder why the hell the Patriots keep him around, sound familiar?

Last edited:
Think of when Deion Branch was drafted and what he did, then look at Chad Jackson. Heck look at David Givens who was drafted in what the 7th round?

I've yet to see ANYTHING that makes me think Chad Jackson IS NOT a bust. He's done nothing and Cassell has been even worse. Can you say Rohan Davey part 2? We all wonder why the hell the Patriots keep him around, sound familiar?

With all due respect to the deceased,I think Marquise Hill was about as important on the team as Chad Jackson is at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back