PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chad Jackson is officially a bust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny, in another thread folks are explaining that it's ridiculous to try to judge the QBs' performance given than they were throwing to the likes of Jackson. ;)

That only means one thing (and I don't know how we missed it all this time)...

It's Josh McDaniels's fault. All of it.

That only means one thing (and I don't know how we missed it all this time)...

It's Josh McDaniels's fault. All of it.

I think someone complained last night about McDaniels not running more running plays when Cassel was in there. I think McDaniels' love of the passing game really ruined giving us a golden opportunity to evaluate Cassel's handing off skills.

Last edited:
I think McDaniels' love of the passing game really ruined giving as a golden opportunity to evaluate Cassel's handing off skills.

stop...stop...:rofl:

This thread was started by patsgo. 'Nuff said.

Look, the reason anyone who watched the game is down on CJackson is that he was targeted early and often, yet I believe he came up with only one catch for no gain. We can't say for sure if he ran the wrong route on the Cassel INT, but the fact that they seemed to make a point of going to him and he had no positive plays is startling.

You can say the QB's sucked but even CJ Jones with his awful night contributed in some way.

Unless CJackson really picks it up, I think he's gonna get cut.

I'm not wild about Jackson so far, either, and I Was pi$$ed about his performance last night, but this is a ******ED thread. Just stop. Let's give it more than one pre-season game.

Never mind that for the better part of those two seasons he wasn't able to get on the field because the Patriots were extremely cautious with his hamstring injury and then his knee was blown out in the AFC Championship game 2 years ago, basically guaranteeing he wasn't going to see the field last year.

You do realize that an ACL is 12-18 months to full recovery, right? That means that just this spring he was finally able to start truly testing it and getting into his routes.

Also, from what I heard, Jackson was running the right routes, but Cassell wasn't hitting them.

Its idiocy for people to call Jackson a bust after 1 pre-season game when the guy is returning from an ACL injury.

Yeah, I do know how long it takes and I do know the game.

What I think is idiocy is to believe a 3rd year guy who clearly doesn't know the play book is going to be good. That might be the biggest idiotic thought there is. The guy's a bust. I know some people don't think the Holocaust happened either so it isn't the first time I've experienced this kind of thought process. :D

Look, the reason anyone who watched the game is down on CJackson is that he was targeted early and often, yet I believe he came up with only one catch for no gain. We can't say for sure if he ran the wrong route on the Cassel INT, but the fact that they seemed to make a point of going to him and he had no positive plays is startling.

You can say the QB's sucked but even CJ Jones with his awful night contributed in some way.

Unless CJackson really picks it up, I think he's gonna get cut.

There were maybe five plays where he was "targeted." On one he looked to have a step on two defenders but was overthrown. Another there was miscommunication between he and Cassel that resulted in a pick (none of us know who is to blame on that). There were two screens that were blown up. There was also a slant closer to the red area that looked to be a poorly thrown ball.

Out of all the times he was targeted, I can't remember one that was on a routine drop back.

The whole offense sucked, it's pretty hard to evaluate a wide receiver based on production when that's the case.

There were maybe five plays where he was "targeted." On one he looked to have a step on two defenders but was overthrown. Another there was miscommunication between he and Cassel that resulted in a pick (none of us know who is to blame on that). There were two screens that were blown up. There was also a slant closer to the red area that looked to be a poorly thrown ball.

Out of all the times he was targeted, I can't remember one that was on a routine drop back.

The whole offense sucked, it's pretty hard to evaluate a wide receiver based on production when that's the case.

Co-sign...I'm not giving up on Jackson b/c of one bad exhibition game when the whole offense was brutal in the first half.

Never mind that for the better part of those two seasons he wasn't able to get on the field because the Patriots were extremely cautious with his hamstring injury and then his knee was blown out in the AFC Championship game 2 years ago, basically guaranteeing he wasn't going to see the field last year.

You do realize that an ACL is 12-18 months to full recovery, right? That means that just this spring he was finally able to start truly testing it and getting into his routes.

Also, from what I heard, Jackson was running the right routes, but Cassell wasn't hitting them.

Its idiocy for people to call Jackson a bust after 1 pre-season game when the guy is returning from an ACL injury.

I know I'm a Jackson homer, but it appeared like he ran a good route on the first pass play from scrimmage and was wide open for what would've been a gain - he was tripped up and the pass was overthrown.

I think Jackson did look a little tentative. He just needs to get in there and break a sweat and get going.

Tempted to show Wheatley the door as well but I guess we can give him one more game...but he needs to realize he is on the bubble.

c'mon... wheatley? he's a rookie and it was his first pro game. give it a little time.

Yeah, I do know how long it takes and I do know the game.

What I think is idiocy is to believe a 3rd year guy who clearly doesn't know the play book is going to be good. That might be the biggest idiotic thought there is. The guy's a bust. I know some people don't think the Holocaust happened either so it isn't the first time I've experienced this kind of thought process. :D

Again, how do we know he doesn't know the playbook? Why do people just automatically assume he ran the wrong route and not the QB misread the route? I haven't heard Belichick or McDaniels confirm anything.

Besides, even if he did run the wrong route, it doesn't neccessarily mean he doesn't know the playbook. He may have had the wrong presnap read and didn't reccognize the defensive formation and didn't make the proper adjustments. That is a common mistake among players with limited playing time and can be corrected with experience.

Until this becomes a pattern throughout the preseason, I think people are reading too much into three plays (since two passes were quick screens) and judging this guy a bust. I guess my scouting abilities aren't as tuned as others because I need more than three plays to judge a player.

This is worse than the Maroney/Meriweather threads from a year ago. People...IT'S THE FIRST F'ING PRESEAON GAME.

If he bombs in all 4 games, including when Brady is throwing to him, I will gladly go along with the "bust" label. But doing this thread now is just silly.

jackson may or may not be a bust but all the hype he has generated has not been translated on the field for whatever reasons.yes he did have an acl injury but he also had an opportunity to crack the starting lineup after branch was released with receivers like caldwell and gaffeney. He couldnt do it. Conversely when branch was drafted in the 2nd round he was immediately plugged in and effective. Sure now jackson homers can say branch had the benefit of playing with patten and brown but still, someone can shine if they are capable under any circumstances. Look at greg jennings, Marques Colston etc. They all have made contributions early and often -granted they didnt have an acl injury.

Maybe he hasnt had the opportunity but from what i read from reiss's training camp reports, even brady cant get on the same page with him sometimes which isnt something to be ignored as him having injuries or being a rookie etc.

I've been a straight up moderate when it comes to Chad Jackson; not a hyper and not a hater. I've tried to be rationale.

After last night, I'd say I'm 45/55 in favor he will be a washout, his performance was that bad. But as everyone says, let's see how he looks with Brady.

Regardless, he is not getting cut so he has the 2008 season. After that, one way or the other, we can sticky a Chad Jackson Told-You-So Thread and that way we won't have to bother with this nonsense debate infecting every other Pats Fan thread. :)

Again, how do we know he doesn't know the playbook? Why do people just automatically assume he ran the wrong route and not the QB misread the route? I haven't heard Belichick or McDaniels confirm anything.

Besides, even if he did run the wrong route, it doesn't neccessarily mean he doesn't know the playbook. He may have had the wrong presnap read and didn't reccognize the defensive formation and didn't make the proper adjustments. That is a common mistake among players with limited playing time and can be corrected with experience.

Until this becomes a pattern throughout the preseason, I think people are reading too much into three plays (since two passes were quick screens) and judging this guy a bust. I guess my scouting abilities aren't as tuned as others because I need more than three plays to judge a player.

He's indecisive out there. You can see it. There were more than three plays. Maybe you're watching at home where they don't show the field but I was at the game and whether you think so or not, the guy doesn't know. I watched him run his routes when he was the primary and I watched him when he was the seconary. His route running underneath the linebackers was a jog at times. That's all I've got to say. Like I said, I'm never amazed at what some people are willing to believe.:rolleyes:

Thinking this guy is going to beat out Gaffney this year is comical. I think some of you guys must have bought Chad Jackson game jerseys and don't want to feel let down or something. If he was a free agent pickup, many would have called for his ass to get cut long ago.

Last edited:
Give him one more game. Cassel sucked as well. There must be improvement or it's bench time.

jackson may or may not be a bust but all the hype he has generated has not been translated on the field for whatever reasons.yes he did have an acl injury but he also had an opportunity to crack the starting lineup after branch was released with receivers like caldwell and gaffeney. He couldnt do it. Conversely when branch was drafted in the 2nd round he was immediately plugged in and effective. Sure now jackson homers can say branch had the benefit of playing with patten and brown but still, someone can shine if they are capable under any circumstances. Look at greg jennings, Marques Colston etc. They all have made contributions early and often -granted they didnt have an acl injury.

Maybe he hasnt had the opportunity but from what i read from reiss's training camp reports, even brady cant get on the same page with him sometimes which isnt something to be ignored as him having injuries or being a rookie etc.

Not to compare Jackson to some of the better WRs in the league, but look at the rookie seasons of players like Steve Smith, Reggie Wayne, Chad Johnson, TO, etc. Yes, these guys are far better receivers, but all had unremarkable rookie seasons. Rookie WRs tend to struggle. Even some of the best WRs of all time struggled their rookie seasons. For every Marquise Colston who were hits right off the bat, there are two or three Steve Smiths who turn into solid to great WRs and do nothing their rookie season.

You can't judge a receiver in their rookie season. He gets a free pass from last year because of his injury. This is the make or break year for Jackson. If he fails this year, the bust title is worthy for him. He does deserve time to show he will fail though before his detractors should throw around the bust title.

In order to be released, Chad Jackson would have to be amazingly bad in practice, and in the games with Brady. It would make no sense to cut him comign off an injury like he is without giving him a fair shot and substantial practice time, neither of which has happened yet. Yesterday basically there was so much that was awful, it's almost like a complete throwout for me. He should stick around, and why not? Can you say Aiken is better than him? I can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case