PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chad Jackson is officially a bust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a good summary

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2008/08/08/jackson_not_yet_catching_up/

Not exactly a shining example of good play or good attitude.

Again, that's basically a summary of the one play. There was also plenty of jawing going on between the sides; to single out Jackson for it isn't fair.

"Jackson also had a play in the second quarter on which he appeared to give up on a crossing route".

Did anybody record the game and check this play out? IMO, "appeared to" is a bit too wishy-washy to take at face value.

Can everyone agree then that if he does not show anything over the next two preseason games that he is in fact a bust? I think he is completely useless myself.

Over the next two preaseason games?!? Why not only give him only the time it takes to get from the parking lot to his locker of the next preseason game to perform or get the bust label?

Sorry, Jackson gets the season to prove he isn't a bust in my eyes. He has only really had one year so far to prove he wasn't a bust so far since last year was a wash.

Here come the idiots...

1) How do you know he runs the wrong routes?
2) Do you have a current Patriots play-book?
3) Do you know what plays are being called?
4) I've seen players such as Randy Moss, Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens, James Lofton, Stanley Morgan , etc, etc, drop "easy passes".
5) He's had 2 injuries. His hamstring and his ACL. The ACL happened while he was on the field. Please enlighten everyone on the stretches and strengthening techniques that all football players should be using to ensure that when they are hit from the side on their knee, their ACL doesn't tear. I am sure that Mike Woicik and every other stength and conditioning coach would love to hear from you.

The answers are rhetorical. You don't know he is running the wrong routes. Its YOUR assumption. You certainly don't have a Patriots play-book and you sure as hell don't know what plays are being called. And I am willing to put money that you are clueless about strength and conditioning and the fact there is no way to strengthen the knee so that it can withstand a hit to its side.

Here comes the resident ballwasher and homer - captain, Dabruinz. Tell me, when have you EVER said that a player was a bust, or the pats screwed something up. You always form these pro pats arguments NO MATTER what. A pats player could shoot someone, and you would have a theory as to why it was the victims fault. You are a major homer, and as much as you talk about the "idiots" you are an idiot of a different type.....a ballwashing cheerleader! Chad Jackson is a BUST and it will be proven over the course of this year.

I love the pats, but I'm not a blind homer like most of the posters on this board....at least people are being honest about Matt.

Last edited:
We all saw what Chad can do when he was healthy. Who remembers the Jets, Bills and Vikings games? The sideline catch, the slant for 6, the up and out for 6 in Buffalo and the Vikings game where he broke 3 tackles to pay dirt, a move that only the special athletes can make.

Let Chad play with the 1's. Matt Cassell would have made Randy look bad last night.

Can we just put a moratorium on the Chad Jackson pronouncements until at least part of this season has gone down? No matter what your feelings on him are, you have to agree that there's hardly an adequate sample size of his performances to base a judgment on. Let's see him get out there with the regular offense in the regular season and see if he does something. If he doesn't manage to get out there, or he doesn't do anything, then fire away with the bust talk. If he catches three touchdowns in the third preseason game, stifle the "not a bust" talk anyway. The regular season is where it's going to happen - until then, no one is going to be able to offer an accurate assessment due to the nature of the preseason, and trying to is just tilting at windmills.

Here comes the resident ballwasher and homer - captain, Dabruinz. Tell me, when have you EVER said that a player was a bust, or the pats screwed something up. You always form these pro pats arguments NO MATTER what. A pats player could shoot someone, and you would have a theory as to why it was the victims fault. You are a major homer, and as much as you talk about the "idiots" you are an idiot of a different type.....a ballwashing cheerleader! Chad Jackson is a BUST and it will be proven over the course of this year.

I love the pats, but I'm not a blind homer like most of the posters on this board....at least people are being honest about Matt.

I think there is a happy medium than being a blind homer and writing of Jackson completely. Allow the guy to have a chance to prove or hang himself over the course of this season without drawing any definitive conclusions in preseason is clearly not being a homer in my book. I can only speak for myself, but that is my attitude with Jackson.

People have given proven busts who have been added to this roster after failing miserably elsewhere like David Terrell and Johnathan Sullivan (even after he failed his conditioning run) more leeway during the preseason than they are giving Chad Jackson after coming off a season that he was recouperating from an ACL.

Last edited:
From WikipediaSo the Eagles cut him even though he was a former second round pick,with 171 career receptions and was referred to by ESPN as "another solid player" who "figures to compete for the No. 2 job with Philadelphia".

The Eagles didn't give Gaffney enough of a chance and he went on to have a great career (so far) with the Patriots. I understand Gaffney was caught in a numbers game with the Eagles, but he must have looked like a disappointment in TC and preseason. Just look at him now.

Maybe we should let Jackson have one or two more chances. :)

Perhaps Gaffney always had an aggressive on field nature and this is what attracted the Pats to him. Jackson will get as much time as it takes for the Pats to complete their evaluation. These next 3 PS games are very important for him. He won't be getting a lot of touches behind Moss, Welker and Gaffney when the reg season starts unless he does something to earn them. There is also a lot of competition for roster spots not just from rookies, but from 2nd and 3rd year players who are ahead of CJ in their developement. In the briefness of a single PS game I percieved concise routes from Jones and Slater. If they start hanging on to passes, CJ will have some competition for the 4th spot. Right now I don't see him competing for the 3rd spot. Currently Gaffney is miles ahead of him. There is a spot somewhere on the 53 for him though and it's his to take. I wish him luck.

When you have a terrible QB (Cassell) behind a terrible line forcing the ball into a guy who projects as a #3 WR but acting as the #1, your chances of success aren't too high. We didn't see Chad in the right role yesterday but he still sucked. Does that means he's a bust? No. Does he need to get better? Oh yeah. But give it some time considering he's as young as most of our draft picks.

Before you bash Dabruinz, you have to remember, he has never played the game before, he only knows the game by watching it and reading whatever he can get a hold of on the subect. He has no idea how to load thigh pads or knee pads into a pair of football pants, he has no idea what it is like to stand in a huddle and stare eyeball to eyeball with ten other guys while you are sore and aching and hurting, but determined to give it your all. Dabruinz is shadow with no substance or form; as shallow as a puddle.

With that being said however, I think it is time someone asked, "is Chad Jackson learning disabled?" How hard is it to learn that the first time a play is called you run a go and the second time, you run a fade?
I think the physical talent is there, but after 3 years, he still has not mastered the how to run option routes. I know at Florida his routes were basically, run to a spot, no thinking involved, but man this is pitiful.
Chad, dude, you need to spend extra time with your coach and a special education teacher so you don't cost people their jobs. Maybe somebody needs to turn the playbook into a rap CD and we make Jackson listen to it day and night.
No wonder Brady barely throw to this guy in practice. He is a QB killer, but Jackson isn't bright enough to even know it.

Before you bash Dabruinz, you have to remember, he has never played the game before, he only knows the game by watching it and reading whatever he can get a hold of on the subect. He has no idea how to load thigh pads or knee pads into a pair of football pants, he has no idea what it is like to stand in a huddle and stare eyeball to eyeball with ten other guys while you are sore and aching and hurting, but determined to give it your all. Dabruinz is shadow with no substance or form; as shallow as a puddle.

Harsh, unnecessary and ignorant...a rare trifecta. Well I have played the game and coached it as well. That makes me exactly 0% more qualified to comment on pro football than you or Dabruinz. I'll shall do it anyway.

With that being said however, I think it is time someone asked, "is Chad Jackson learning disabled?" How hard is it to learn that the first time a play is called you run a go and the second time, you run a fade?

The option route is based on what the defense is doing. On the interception (assuming that is the play you are referencing), the DB read the QB and squatted on the short route. Cassel threw to a covered spot and CJack read the DB and cut upfield. I don't know which read was correct, but if CJack had cut his route short, there is little chance the pass would have been completed. Take that for what it is worth.

Your "run a go and the second time, you run a fade" is silly. So silly in fact I will decline to elaborate on its degree of silliness.

I think the physical talent is there, but after 3 years, he still has not mastered the how to run option routes. I know at Florida his routes were basically, run to a spot, no thinking involved, but man this is pitiful.

OK, you did it for me. Your "run a go then run a fade" axiom doesn't seem to require much thinking and I still don't understand where the "option" is in that route.

Chad, dude, you need to spend extra time with your coach and a special education teacher so you don't cost people their jobs. Maybe somebody needs to turn the playbook into a rap CD and we make Jackson listen to it day and night.

I'm sure that wasn't meant to be racist at all. Apparently the 10 other guys in the huddle with you during your Pee Wee Football days were all white or just enjoyed listening to smooth Jazz.

This post was nothing but a personal attack. In the future please keep the personal attacks out of the post. You also managed to insult cheerleaders.

If you disagree with him just say why without devoting a long post to nothing but personal name calling.

Normally this would merit an infraction. But because I am a homer, I don't want you to think I will let homerism rule my moderation.

P.S. After last night, there are a few seats left on the Homerville bandwagon if you care to jump on.

Last edited:
This post was nothing but a personal attack. In the future please keep the personal attacks out of the post. You also managed to insult cheerleaders.

If you disagree with him just say why without devoting a long post to nothing but personal name calling.

Normally this would merit an infraction. But because I am a homer, I don't want you to think I will let homerism rule my moderation.

P.S. After last night, there are a few seats left on the Homerville bandwagon if you care to jump on.

Really, did you miss where he called me an idiot in his initial response?

Last edited:

No wonder Brady barely throw to this guy in practice. He is a QB killer, but Jackson isn't bright enough to even know it.

They sure do love rap music.

Harsh, unnecessary and ignorant...a rare trifecta. Well I have played the game and coached it as well. That makes me exactly 0% more qualified to comment on pro football than you or Dabruinz. I'll shall do it anyway.

The option route is based on what the defense is doing. On the interception (assuming that is the play you are referencing), the DB read the QB and squatted on the short route. Cassel threw to a covered spot and CJack read the DB and cut upfield. I don't know which read was correct, but if CJack had cut his route short, there is little chance the pass would have been completed. Take that for what it is worth.

Your "run a go and the second time, you run a fade" is silly. So silly in fact I will decline to elaborate on its degree of silliness.

OK, you did it for me. Your "run a go then run a fade" axiom doesn't seem to require much thinking and I still don't understand where the "option" is in that route.

I'm sure that wasn't meant to be racist at all. Apparently the 10 other guys in the huddle with you during your Pee Wee Football days were all white or just enjoyed listening to smooth Jazz.

Are you kidding? You would consider something like this racist?

Really, did you miss where he called me an idiot in his initial response?

I read the enitre thread, I don't think he called you and idiot. He did refer to "the board idiots". Just as you referred to most posters here being blind homers.

I don't take being called a homer as an insult but some do when it meant in a derogitory way.

OK, for now on lets keep the personal attacks and name calling out of the debate. I'm talking to everyone. If my email start filling up with complaints then I get a little ugly, and then infractions start coming.

Just start putting out one fire,another has just broken out.

That's it, I'm closing this thread.

Last edited:
Every time I see Chad Jackson I get convinced someone on the Pats Training Staff should be fired. He looks as big as Ben Watson. They list him as 215lbs but he looks more like a linebacker. He needs to loss at least 20lbs of muscle or they need to make him an H-back. This muscle-bound Jackson is explosive but neither quick nor fluid. I want the original receiver we drafted.

Anybody remember WR David Boston?

Anyone remember a guy named David Givens?

Similar build, similar first two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back