Centerfield

bmf31c

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Gabe Kapler
Jay Payton
Dave Roberts
Jeremy Reed

If we can get 2 of these guys, we should be fine.

Thoughts????

I would love to get Payton back, but the way he went out might not be a good thing...although he would be starting this time. Reed wouild be nice as well. We will get Kapler once he is healthy again.

well

I don't want payton back--let him go! He was trouble here and we don't need that. He would be playing everyday; but he already showed his character! I would like to see manny, reed, trot, and kapler backing them up. I wouldn't complain if got roberts, but he's not really an everyday guy!

Well

I am not on the coco bandwagon! I would rather see jeremy reed here: he is better defensive player and won't cost us top prospects and half the team to get. In addition, we are still having to pay part of rent-a-wrecks contract (who we traded for marte) so that has to factor in!

mtbykr said:
I am not on the coco bandwagon! I would rather see jeremy reed here: he is better defensive player and won't cost us top prospects and half the team to get. In addition, we are still having to pay part of rent-a-wrecks contract (who we traded for marte) so that has to factor in!

I think you'd find Theo in agreement with you about Reed - but indeed the asking price is too high right now - supposedly Arroyo and a top prospect.

I like Arroyo and unless we are trading our prospects for a proven potential all star, I'd prefer to keep them, even if that means missing the playoffs this year.

Sox agree to Marte/Mota for Crisp.

I'm taking it with a grain of salt for now.

I like Crisp. I think he'll be a great addition to the club, and that he'll rake in Fenway. But I'm really sad we'll never get to see Marte in a Sox uniform. I had a somewhat irrational desire to hold onto him no matter what. I've got to believe we're getting more than Just Crisp for both Marte and Mota.

I would've liked to get Reed, but Seattle was demanding Arroyo and Lester. That's just absurd, so I'm glad we walked away from that.

I also don't care for the potential signing of Gonzalez.

Last edited:
wow. i like crisp his numbers and his age .how long did they lock up gonzalez ? i hope its not more than two years .i would like to see them get another chance at a top level free agent ss .

Last edited:
Probably paid too much for Gonzalez.

I really wanted them to hold on to Marte, he's going to be really good.

This, besides Tejada, is probably the biggest splash they could make PR wise.

coco crisp last year www.indians.com 300 batting average 16 homers 69 rbi nothing wrong with those numbers .hes also a switch hitter and a excellent defensive fielder.

He's an excellent LFer. He's decidedly mediocre in center.

ya

Johnny Mac said:
He's an excellent LFer. He's decidedly mediocre in center.

That's what i am afraid of----no one is arguing that he couldn't play left well. However the fact that we are taking a left fielder and turning him into a centerfielder is weird. (not to mention giving up marte and co to do so). I know the price would have been steeper, but i still think jeremy reed was the way to go. Everyone is quoted as saying championship teams are very strong up the middle----and what did we just do but move a leftfielder over to center and sign a guy for short who really isn't much of an upgrade over cora????

I am on record saying we should have gotten reed for center and o-cab back at short! We are already going to have a drop in O production, now it's getting really bad!

the games i watched him play in center he looked good to me. i love this trade the braves dont give up prospects they are high on or they would have kept marte .

Sorry if I don't trust your assessment over the actual stats.

ya

patriotspride said:
the games i watched him play in center he looked good to me. i love this trade the braves dont give up prospects they are high on or they would have kept marte .

Normally you are right on the money, but having locked up 3rd for quite a while they really didn't have a choice in the matter! We'll see what happens, but i am still a little iffy---i mean we won't have lowell that long at 3rd so it would have been nice to have marte ready to go in a couple years!

mtbykr said:
Normally you are right on the money, but having locked up 3rd for quite a while they really didn't have a choice in the matter! We'll see what happens, but i am still a little iffy---i mean we won't have lowell that long at 3rd so it would have been nice to have marte ready to go in a couple years!
thats a good point but keep in mind the sox control crisp threw 2009 and hes just 26 .

re:

The thing is, Coco Crisp was way better in his away games than he was playing at home in Cleveland.

The Sox know this and are banking on a big improvement by him just moving over to Fenway.

If Crisp can fix his strikeout to walk ratio, he could be just as good as Johnny Damon for a fraction of the price and about 6 years younger!!!

patriotspride said:
i think your referring to me? if you dont trust the stats i quoted go to www.indians.com and see for yourself .
I was referring to your claim that he's an excellent CFer.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back