PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Celtics 2015-2016

You understand he's a coach for a vet team right? Did you WANT him coaching these kids? I can assure you that Danny didn't. That's why he let him go while extracting another asset for him.
Plus, when he signed that contract he didn't know they we're going to put a crate of dynamite under the team and blow it up.
sounds like a lot of excuse making and spin. I don't remember the circumstances the way you do. Danny Ainge definitely didn't want him to leave. doc bailed and forced Danny's hand. poor poor doc he might have had to coach a team that's rebuilding. wha wha wha. honor the contract. things have worked out good for the Celtics. I love brad stevens ect ect. i don't know what that has to do with liking doc or not.

Last edited:
I like a Dwight Howard trade proposal I read ... much better idea than getting raped for Horford.

David Lee - Jonas Jerebko - Celtics 1st round pick - Dallas 1st round pick owned by Boston.

I would make that deal all day long ... giving up basically nothing.
Rumor: Rockets shopping Dwight Howard
Houston receives
David Lee
Jonas Jerebko
2016 Boston first-round pick
2016 Dallas first-round pick
Boston receives
Dwight Howard
Montrezl Harrell

I like a Dwight Howard trade proposal I read ... much better idea than getting raped for Horford.

David Lee - Jonas Jerebko - Celtics 1st round pick - Dallas 1st round pick owned by Boston.

wow i could not disagree more. what is it with you and the head cases? you like Hanley Ramirez to. I don't get it. I wouldn't give a bucket of balls for Howard. 2 first rd picks and 2 players for a half year rental. why would anybody make that deal? he's already come out and said he's going to opt out of his contract at the end of the year. I don't want Howard anywhere near the Celtics. he's a lockerroom cancer. he cant shoot free throws and has no low post moves what so ever. he's a clown.

DO NOT WANT HOWARD!

wow i could not disagree more. what is it with you and the head cases? you like Hanley Ramirez to. I don't get it. I wouldn't give a bucket of balls for Howard. 2 first rd picks and 2 players for a half year rental. why would anybody make that deal? he's already come out and said he's going to opt out of his contract at the end of the year. I don't want Howard anywhere near the Celtics. he's a lockerroom cancer. he cant shoot free throws and has no low post moves what so ever. he's a clown.
See? We agree on some things!

Why does Danny buy out David Lee when 1) Olynyk is hors de combat until Saint Paddy's Day, and 2) there are no plans to replace his spot on the 15?

If Dallas signs him after he clears waivers I will be very very pissed-off.

Why does Danny buy out David Lee when 1) Olynyk is hors de combat until Saint Paddy's Day, and 2) there are no plans to replace his spot on the 15?

I don't mind the move ... like to see Mickey get some minutes when we're winning.
David Lee has gotten lazy and the league knew it ... Ainge had nowhere to go with Lee.
He belongs with a team where he score a few points every night and not play defense.

I don't mind the move ... like to see Mickey get some minutes when we're winning.
David Lee has gotten lazy and the league knew it ... Ainge had nowhere to go with Lee.
He belongs with a team where he score a few points every night and not play defense.
Yeah, Mickey fits in to the toughness and defense the team is built around, at least to the extent that he is /willing/ and physically able to play some D.

I'm trying to catch up a bit post trading deadline and figure out the lay of the Celtics/NBA landscape

Here are my perceptions as a less than full time follower so anyone feel free to correct me and set me straight

The good news from my perspective is that the NBA is even more watered down today than ever before with the obvious exception of the Warriors thanks to Curry - but also thanks to the fact that they truly seem to play a "team" ball game. I think that's the trend for success in today's NBA and I think Stevens and Ainge recognized that awhile ago.

Of course that understanding and $1 will buy you a cup of coffee and as Ainge discovered, even though he had assets to trade and there were players potentially available, in the end most everyone held their ground (and no move is better than a bad move in my opinion.)

I'm sure it may have been tempting to get a Dwight Howard for little more than the price of his contract but there's many reasons why that would have been a bad move.

I was ambivalent to OK on getting Kevin Love in a trade as long as the price was right. He's not worth the Brooklyn top pick - but what the Celts DID need was another near-star player who could attract a big name in free agency. Add to that some decent role playing talent already here, plus the Brooklyn pick and the Celts could have vaulted to a top 4 seed or higher in the East for next season... and yet even without those moves they might not be far off of that now, with the NBA as watered down as it is

No disrespect to Ainge - sometimes the moving parts of NBA trades and draft picks just don't fall one's way - but what is still needed are those 2-3 difference making players... a secondary star to attract a top talent and a young prospect who contributes.

It's not impossible for Ainge to still rebuild this team with his existing assetts, but it's increasingly a long shot where some good luck will be needed - and to this point Ainge's luck hasn't been the best or the worst - just good enough to have us thinking it's too early to give up on them but that we shouldn't get our hopes up too high

All that being said I think Stevens and Ainge are doing as good a job as anyone could - it just might not pan out in the end

Yeah I agree with not moving the Brooklyn pick, especially for guys like Dwight Howard or Kevin Love.

I also agree that the Cs are still 2-3 All-Star-caliber players away from being serious contenders.

This year they will be lucky to win one PO round, but this off-season is when they can make hay, by first drafting one of the pieces with the Brooklyn pick,
then by trading for one of the other pieces, and finally by convincing one of the top free agents that there are now enough pieces to win if that last guy signs here.

Although perhaps a near technicality I think with Isiah Thomas and some of the existing role players, they're 2 players away from being near contenders (The Warriors are something to behold - no one is in their class right now)

But this trading deadline was an opportunity that perhaps never was - and one CAN make the case that if giving up the non-sure thing of the Brooklyn Draft pick to get a 1a All-Star and then attract a true #1 All star in free agency, it might be worth it

As it stands Ainge now has to make a quick move in Free Agency to land a player who will make a true top tier free agent take notice.

There's a lot of "ifs" in this scenario and I'm not going to get my hopes up too high... a lot of things need to go the Celts way

I am now officially pissed-off.

But now Dallas has a player who could help them, at the cost of…nothing.
And if they make the POs, their 1st-round pick then becomes 2 2nd-rounders. Huge, huge difference.

I'm trying to catch up a bit post trading deadline and figure out the lay of the Celtics/NBA landscape

Here are my perceptions as a less than full time follower so anyone feel free to correct me and set me straight

The good news from my perspective is that the NBA is even more watered down today than ever before with the obvious exception of the Warriors thanks to Curry - but also thanks to the fact that they truly seem to play a "team" ball game. I think that's the trend for success in today's NBA and I think Stevens and Ainge recognized that awhile ago.

Of course that understanding and $1 will buy you a cup of coffee and as Ainge discovered, even though he had assets to trade and there were players potentially available, in the end most everyone held their ground (and no move is better than a bad move in my opinion.)

I'm sure it may have been tempting to get a Dwight Howard for little more than the price of his contract but there's many reasons why that would have been a bad move.

I was ambivalent to OK on getting Kevin Love in a trade as long as the price was right. He's not worth the Brooklyn top pick - but what the Celts DID need was another near-star player who could attract a big name in free agency. Add to that some decent role playing talent already here, plus the Brooklyn pick and the Celts could have vaulted to a top 4 seed or higher in the East for next season... and yet even without those moves they might not be far off of that now, with the NBA as watered down as it is

No disrespect to Ainge - sometimes the moving parts of NBA trades and draft picks just don't fall one's way - but what is still needed are those 2-3 difference making players... a secondary star to attract a top talent and a young prospect who contributes.

It's not impossible for Ainge to still rebuild this team with his existing assetts, but it's increasingly a long shot where some good luck will be needed - and to this point Ainge's luck hasn't been the best or the worst - just good enough to have us thinking it's too early to give up on them but that we shouldn't get our hopes up too high

All that being said I think Stevens and Ainge are doing as good a job as anyone could - it just might not pan out in the end

The Warriors are something else, aren't they? Maybe it's because I was too young to really remember or appreciate the '95-'96 Bulls and definitely too young to remember the older powerhouse Celtics and Lakers teams, but the Warriors are probably the best basketball team I've ever seen. That was the most complete game I've seen the Heat play all season last night while the Warriors brought their B game and the Warriors still won at home. Curry is on fire right now. He is, by far and away, the most dominant player in the league. And he's clutch too. He's the anti-LeBron. No reason to think they won't go all the way again unless injuries take their toll.

But now Dallas has a player who could help them, at the cost of…nothing.
And if they make the POs, their 1st-round pick then becomes 2 2nd-rounders. Huge, huge difference.
I was just looking at this. I don't think it's true. What I read is that last year, it was top 3 protected, plus if they made the post season, it would roll over to 2016 which is what happened. In 2016 it's top seven protected, end of story. At least from what I read. So we don't WANT them to be too awful. Just middle of the road.

Edit: It looks like you're confusing it with the Minnesota pick, which is top 12 protected and becomes 2 2d rounders which is going to happen.

The Warriors are something else, aren't they? Maybe it's because I was too young to really remember or appreciate the '95-'96 Bulls and definitely too young to remember the older powerhouse Celtics and Lakers teams, but the Warriors are probably the best basketball team I've ever seen. That was the most complete game I've seen the Heat play all season last night while the Warriors brought their B game and the Warriors still won at home. Curry is on fire right now. He is, by far and away, the most dominant player in the league. And he's clutch too. He's the anti-LeBron. No reason to think they won't go all the way again unless injuries take their toll.
as good as they are the 86 celtics were better.

as good as they are the 86 celtics were better.

I'll take your word for it. I was born in 1986 so that's before my time. I do know the brand of basketball they played in '86, though, so you probably have a good point.

I was just looking at this. I don't think it's true. What I read is that last year, it was top 3 protected, plus if they made the post season, it would roll over to 2016 which is what happened. In 2016 it's top seven protected, end of story. At least from what I read. So we don't WANT them to be too awful. Just middle of the road.

Edit: It looks like you're confusing it with the Minnesota pick, which is top 12 protected and becomes 2 2d rounders which is going to happen.

I think you're right: Dallas' first-rounder appears to be ours no matter where they finish, as long as they finish outside of the bottom-7 (or top-7 for draft order).

Celtics fans shouldn't discount the Mavs first

I still don't like David Lee signing with them though. I think he'll help them win some games, and that's not what we want to see happen.
Kinda reminds me in a way of Bill not trying hard enough, if at all, to sign Evan Mathis; and we all know how that turned out.

At the time of the trade who would have thought the Dallas pick ... currently 19th would be better than the Celtics pick 23rd. Possible with a trade of these 2 picks and a future pick Ainge could trade up and grab Skal Labissiere whose draft stock has fallen but he still has lots of potential and just needs time. His current draft position is anywhere from 12 to 15.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back