PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carucci: Peppers close to going to NE for #34 [mergedx3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: NFL network : Peppers close to going to NE for #34 !

I feel like the leak was made by the panthers to drive up the asking price

re: Carucci: Peppers close to going to NE for #34 (merged 3x)

We've lost Gaffney and Jordan but we upgraded them. Plus Vrabel who would presumably be upgraded by Peppers - certainly the pass rush would be an upgrade.

Oh, and we'd still have one #1, two #2 and two #3.

Although I think at least one of those picks will be pushed into next year.

Although I think at least one of those picks will be pushed into next year.
Could well be - history would agree with you - but with what looks to be a huge push for this year I could see a trade up for the right guy.

Peppers in not getting $16.25M from the patriots. However, if he signs a new contract, there si no reason to believe that it will be a long-term contract. He is likely to be willing to sign for $8M plus incentives.

The only way this deal happens is if the Pats have a long term deal in place. Otherwise, they have no way to fit Pepper's 16.25 million tag number under their cap.

Peppers has to agree to a deal that would have a cap hit in the 3-4 million range this year. That's the only way this deal gets done.

According to his wikipedia, he is already a Patriots ;);)

Got to love a sense of humour ;)

Re: NFL network : Peppers close to going to NE for #34 !

I feel like the leak was made by the panthers to drive up the asking price

Not helpful. He won't approve a trade anywhere else.

This would likely mean that Wilfork will not be getting a new contract?

We've probably already been in touch with Wilfork and failed to agree on a contract. With Wilfork thinking Haynesworth money and us thinking $6M franchise tag, I think a deal will have to wait whether or not we get Peppers.

Could well be - history would agree with you - but with what looks to be a huge push for this year I could see a trade up for the right guy.

If we get Peppers we could simply go for BPA in every round, since almost every position would be well covered (except Safety, and maybe wide receiver).

The article speculates Bill might make a push for Maualuga, and that's definitely plausible. Here's an ILB who can arguably play all 3 downs, and if you pair him with Mayo you have the core of your linebackers set for 10 years.

We've probably already been in touch with Wilfork and failed to agree on a contract. With Wilfork thinking Haynesworth money and us thinking $6M franchise tag, I think a deal will have to wait whether or not we get Peppers.

that won't fly.........you can kiss wilfork goodbye then

While were on the subject of trades, wonder if anyone is willing to give us a first for maroney.

In our dreams, perhaps.

The article speculates Bill might make a push for Maualuga, and that's definitely plausible. Here's an ILB who can arguably play all 3 downs, and if you pair him with Mayo you have the core of your linebackers set for 10 years.
That's kind of what I was referring to with the trade up scenario. If they really like him - if - then they will probably use a #3 to trade up from 23 to ensure they get him.

Per wikipedia:

"He currently plays defensive end for the New England Patriots, after a trade for a 7th round pick by the idiot GM of the panthers."

Wow, I'm dreaming if this goes down. But something tells me "anything that seems to be to good to be true, is to good to be true".

Adding Peppers to this already great offseason fits in the: too good to be true category.

I'll leave the salary cap stuff to BB as he the master there. I can't imagine doing this without having to clear some space. If it's Green, I'm totally cool with it. Big Sey, ummmmmmm, perhaps not so much.

that won't fly.........you can kiss wilfork goodbye then
We can Franchise Wilfork for a year (not sure about the uncapped year, those issues bore me), with the CBA as it is now he's not that free to just walk.

The article looks as if there was a lot of stretching in it. E.g., the closing part about how the Pats might use Peppers was at best somebody speculating on how Peppers MIGHT fit in NE (the source thinks he would suck at regular LB duties, but that he would be a fine 3-4 DE in passing-down sub packages).

All i have to say is In Belichick We Trust!

By the way -- this could also be a Pat leak to put pressure on Jason Taylor's asking price ...

We can Franchise Wilfork for a year (not sure about the uncapped year, those issues bore me), with the CBA as it is now he's not that free to just walk.

the pats can do whatever they want, except actually make the player step on the field.........wilfork has principle and a backbone, the pats won't force anything on him

if this is the case then, the the acquisition to get peppers will only aid in destroying this team........

Imagine taking an 11-5 team and adding Tom Brady and Julius Peppers.

And Leigh Bodden. And Shawn Springs. And Fred Taylor. And Joey Galloway. And Chris Baker.
:D

Oh My.............:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes