PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carucci: Peppers close to going to NE for #34 [mergedx3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Carucci: Peppers close to going to NE for #34 (merged 3x)

is that because they are only 67M under the cap for next year?

They are $∞ under the cap for next year.

This is great if it happens!! If he can fit under the cap then with our #23 pick we should pick up an ILB that Bruschi can take under his wing!!

The only way this deal happens is if the Pats have a long term deal in place. Otherwise, they have no way to fit Pepper's 16.25 million tag number under their cap.

Peppers has to agree to a deal that would have a cap hit in the 3-4 million range this year. That's the only way this deal gets done.

Exactly, and even to stretch it to $4M would require some creative accounting.

As stated, that $7.8 number is without the Galloway and Wright signings, which will take up, I'd say, at least $2M in cap space, even considering the Top 51 rule. Plus you're gonna have the rookie pool, which will be in the neighborhood of $2.2M.
Missed the bit on Galloway - still that puts us at $5M+ so they could easily open up enough to do Peppers then work on the room for the draftees. It would take some work but it's far from not doable.

On the rookies, we could open up $2-3M later, we don't need that yet.

We can do a Haynesworth style deal.

Sign him for five years. Give him a $10M signing bonus. Give him a guaranteed convertible $30M option bonus due in 2010. Give him a $1M salary in 2009 using option bonuses and other creative devices to push future compensation above the 30% limit.

Final 2009 cap hit: $3M

As Miguel will note, there is basically no way around the 30% rule. In fact, the NFL just forced the Rams to redo a new contract last week because of it.

Last edited:
Re: NFL network : Peppers close to going to NE for #34 !

Obviously, he will not be making 16.7M this year. If he wants to be a patiot, he will have to play for about half of that. Poor guy.

How can he get traded if he is not under contract?

Funny thing is if the pats get pep they would still be able to resign Seymour if they wanted to since there's no salary cap.

As stated, that $7.8 number is without the Galloway and Wright signings, which will take up, I'd say, at least $2M in cap space, even considering the Top 51 rule. Plus you're gonna have the rookie pool, which will be in the neighborhood of $2.2M.

Keep in mind Brady has a $5M base salary for 2009, so potentially some of that could be converted into signing bonus which would be prorated over the 2 years remaining on his contract. I'm just not sure if the Deion charge or 30% rule will apply.

Pats1 - The rookie pool is going to be more than 2.2 M. Last year's pool was in the 4.6 million range. And this year they will have either 2 or 3 2nd round picks..

You mention Brady, but there are others as well with whom the Pats can change cap charges to open up room. Jarvis Green, Matt Light, and Kevin Folk can all have their contracts adjusted. Richard Seymour could sign an extension, which would lower his cap hit as well.

FWIW, Thomas' first year had a $3.4M cap hit.

How can he get traded if he is not under contract?

Because he would sign the franchise tender and then be traded to the Pats where he'd have redone his contract.

ESPN has picked up this story as well - based on the NFL.com version - per my text message update I just received:

NFL.com: Pats discussing possibility of acquiring DE Julius Peppers from Panthers for 2nd-round pick

The only way this deal happens is if the Pats have a long term deal in place. Otherwise, they have no way to fit Pepper's 16.25 million tag number under their cap.

Peppers has to agree to a deal that would have a cap hit in the 3-4 million range this year. That's the only way this deal gets done.

Honest question here, can you trade for a player if you do not have the room under the cap for thier current contract?

Players who are dumpable:

Jarvis Green: 4.2mil for a backup
Bruschi: (i dont see it, hes our leader)

Things to not spend anymore:
I know people will be like wtf, trade #23 for next year since we will have alot of guys leaving. That also makes our rookie pool cheap as hell.

Because he would sign the franchise tender and then be traded to the Pats where he'd have redone his contract.
:)

We just spent 3 months explaining how Cassel could be traded when "not under contract".

This move is beyond my wildest dreams.. talk about a kickass team on both sides of the ball.. we will not be towards the bottom in goal line defense.

Pats1 - The rookie pool is going to be more than 2.2 M. Last year's pool was in the 4.6 million range. And this year they will have either 2 or 3 2nd round picks..

You mention Brady, but there are others as well with whom the Pats can change cap charges to open up room. Jarvis Green, Matt Light, and Kevin Folk can all have their contracts adjusted. Richard Seymour could sign an extension, which would lower his cap hit as well.

As could Wilfork.

I just did a quick search for Miguel's pool number from last year, I probably grabbed the wrong figure.

Exactly, and even to stretch it to $4M would require some creative accounting.

Actually, they could set it up with a team option that would backload it once the CBA was done. And they could make it so that the option had to be picked up the day after the new CBA was ratified.

I think this means Seymour is gone, traded to someone.

Really?

Who, pray tell, do they replace him with this season?

Really?

Who, pray tell, do they replace him with this season?
No sh!t, we aren't getting guys like Galloway and Springs only to dump Seymour who should have a huge year in his contract year.

I agree, but there are those here who would point out that that's only six of the front seven and therefore our defense has a glaring hole and we are doomed because BB did not take care of business with the last ILB spot.

That would be Gary Guyton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes