PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carucci: Peppers close to going to NE for #34 [mergedx3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Carucci: Peppers close to going to NE for #34 (merged 3x)

BB - out of the box kinda dude... to say ANYTHING is inconceivable is crazy !

This dude took the safety, kicked Flutie, benched Bledsoe & T. Glenn... this Peppers move is minor stuff when compared...

I rock at breaking news ! First Cassel, now this...

Good job farn! 1/2 grade deduction for not including a link...

I think this means Seymour is gone, traded to someone. Faulk is also in limbo. Peppers contract is going to big huge.

Cap question - Does NE have to have Peppers full cap amount available when he is traded even if a long-term deal is worked out? It should be interesting to see how the work this.

I think this means Seymour is gone, traded to someone. Faulk is also in limbo. Peppers contract is going to big huge.

Cap question - Does NE have to have Peppers full cap amount available when he is traded even if a long-term deal is worked out? It should be interesting to see how the work this.

They have to make room if he signs the franchise tender, but since he's never going to sign the franchise tender, that may not be an issue.

Re: NFL network : Peppers close to going to NE for #34 !

$16.7M

That's how much Pepper's franchise tag is for.

He's too damn expensive.

It is inconceivable to me that BB would be prepared to pay anywhere near that much.

Even if this move depends on Peppers signing a long term deal, it seems insane.

There are just two scenarios in which this makes any sense for us:

1. Peppers is coming to NE to sign a short term deal and a HUGE discount so he can pick up a ring and play for the best.

2. Kraft is banking on an uncapped 2010 and has decided to piss off his fellow owners by blowing straight through the would-be salary cap. In this case, we sign Peppers to a deal structured just like the Haynesworth deal with a vast bonus coming due during 2010. That would mean that the two strongest teams (financially) have already committed to doing nasty evil things to the salary cap in 2010, and the CBA negotiation could get a LOT more interesting with rich owner/ poor owner disputes taking center stage.

In either case, Peppers has to sign BEFORE the trde is completed. $16.7M is just batty. And here I was just saying that at $9M Seymour wouldn't be cheap (he'd still be worth it). $16.7M (plus #34) might cause my head to explode.

Obviously, he will not be making 16.7M this year. If he wants to be a patiot, he will have to play for about half of that. Poor guy.

Touché. I admit my rookie-ness on the no linkage. Peppers. Ridiculous if true.

Getting Peppers at OLB would be nasty. Im sure if there is any substance to this rumor, BB and Co. have a plan for the financial aspect of things cocered first and foremost.

If the Pats can sign Peppers longterm to about 10M per year, I think they'd do it. Perhaps the holdup right now is the Pats have to agree to a new contract with Peppers and his agent first.

Imagine a D with Peppers, AD, Seymour, Wilfork, Warren and Mayo in it. that's sick.
I agree, but there are those here who would point out that that's only six of the front seven and therefore our defense has a glaring hole and we are doomed because BB did not take care of business with the last ILB spot.

Also, according to NFL sources, there is a third phase to the Patriots' offseason strategy. They would like to further beef up their linebacking corps by adding an inside linebacker in the draft. They are known to believe that USC's Rey Maualuga would be a great fit for their scheme, especially when paired with Jerod Mayo, their 2008 first-round pick who was the NFL's top defensive rookie.

Peppers AND Maualuga? I'll admit it...I've got wood

The Patriots have been masters of the Salary Cap for years. If they are seriously looking into aquiring Peppers, than its because they KNOW they will be able to make the numbers work....especially going into an uncapped year.

I don't care how they do it. Just DO IT!!!

Last edited:

why would the Patriots NOW trade Seymour? That woulodn't make sense

I know what you're saying... but just for a second, look at it like this.

Do you think a healthy Peppers - plus an upgraded secondary, plus a healthy Brady, plus Moss, Galloway, Welker etc. etc. etc. gives us a pretty damn incredible shot at a dominant season and Super Bowl victory?

If your answer is yes, ask yourself, would you trade Cassel and Vrabel straight up for a 2009 Lombardi Trophy, worrying about 2010 in 2010?

I would.

It's so hard to say what's going to happen in any given year. If you could say with certainty we would win, sure I'd do it. But that's just not feasible. I like the idea of adding value over multiple years, which over several moves gives you team depth and a greater chance at being competitive every year.

Like I said, Peppers is great, and if we can get three years out of him it's well worth it. And it might be worth it to do him for one, but it's at least worth debate at that point.

I agree, but there are those here who would point out that that's only six of the front seven and therefore our defense has a glaring hole and we are doomed because BB did not take care of business with the last ILB spot.

Sure, although we do have the 23 pick to sort that out. with him in there it gives us a lot of extra options.

why would the Patriots NOW trade Seymour? That woulodn't make sense

We'll have to wait until Miguel figures out the cap situation.. But if I'm reading the tea leaves right, we dont' have enough money to give Peppers. Even half the amt of the Franchise Tag (8 mill).. Means someone is out..

This is not going to happen (at least not in a vacuum), because:

a.) The Patriots don't have the cap space

AND

b.) Adam Seward is still available

Oy! Forgot all about that (#2)!!!!

:D:D:D

We'll have to wait until Miguel figures out the cap situation.. But if I'm reading the tea leaves right, we dont' have enough money to give Peppers. Even half the amt of the Franchise Tag (8 mill).. Means someone is out..

We can do a Haynesworth style deal.

Sign him for five years. Give him a $10M signing bonus. Give him a guaranteed convertible $30M option bonus due in 2010. Give him a $1M salary in 2009 using option bonuses and other creative devices to push future compensation above the 30% limit.

Final 2009 cap hit: $3M

Vic sticking to story. Big Show not grilling his reporting too much.

If thi doesn't happen by the end of the day or early tomorrow I'm gonna bail on the idea. I really don't feel like getting psyched up for this for a week only to see him resign with the Panthers or go somewhere else.

Anyone think the Pats would move Seymour to free up the cap space?

We can do a Haynesworth style deal.

Sign him for five years. Give him a $10M signing bonus. Give him a guaranteed convertible $30M option bonus due in 2010. Give him a $1M salary in 2009 using option bonuses and other creative devices to push future compensation above the 30% limit.

Final 2009 cap hit: $3M

But this all depends on Kraft being willing to break the bank in 2010.

Its not good business, IMHO. This deal could single handedly jeopardize a favorable CBA.

But it is VERY good football.

BB could probably make the case to Kraft that they can do this and not spend outrageously in 2010. But in my opinion, its all about appearances.

This deal gives the appearance that Kraft and Snyder are going all out in an uncapped season. That means that other rich owners are my likely to consider playing. it reduces the political penalty for big spending within the ranks of the ownership, and it makes the union think that the owners are going to spend big.

The question is IF we do get Peppers and sign him to a deal, do we still go after Taylor? Would he agree to a deal making little money for a chamionship run? Think about THAT!

I do agree that either way, we do have to trade Green or Bruschi for a pick or someone else to make this deal work financially. I don't see the cap figure working with our current roster AND fitting in Peppers..... but if this goes through, we might be looking at one of the greatest teams, on paper at this point, ever assembled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back