PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carucci: Peppers close to going to NE for #34 [mergedx3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Carucci: Peppers close to going to NE for #34 (merged 3x)

Others have already said it but it seems more like a rumor/speculation than something that's immanent. I just wonder how it can actually be done and the quotes from the panthers GM doesn't make it seem likely at the moment Of course, he could be lying and he has spoken with peppers agent who brought the pats deal to him and said "yes".

that panthers quote is actually what made me a believer.

"according to the cba...."
LOLZ

I don't think the Pats need $17M in space to sign Peppers because he has the tag. I believe when franchise players are traded they sign the deal the agent worked out with the team being traded to and sign it with the old team. I think if the contract is traded the same day it is signed then the new team inherits the full deal, including the bonuses, etc. The key is signing and trading the player on the same day.

I'm pretty sure that has happened before with franchise players being traded, but Miguel maybe able to speak to that given his knowledge of the CBA.

Since this thread is already 400 or so posts long, no way am I going back and reading it all.

I will throw my 2 cents. IF the Pats can get Peppers for the 34th pick AND don't have to pay him as one of the highest defense players in the league, I think it is a great move. I am concerned about him changing positions although I think his athleticism will give him a very good chance of transitioning to a 3-4 OLB.

I wonder if the pats and peps agent have been in contact talking out a contract, Id be surprised if they haven't been especially with all this talk about pep going to ne.

I don't think the Pats need $17M in space to sign Peppers because he has the tag. I believe when franchise players are traded they sign the deal the agent worked out with the team being traded to and sign it with the old team. I think if the contract is traded the same day it is signed then the new team inherits the full deal, including the bonuses, etc. The key is signing and trading the player on the same day.

I'm pretty sure that has happened before with franchise players being traded, but Miguel maybe able to speak to that given his knowledge of the CBA.

I was under the impression that the old team would be on the hook for signing bonus monies, while the new team was simply on the hook for salaries and future bonuses.

Where's schefter when u need him I wonder what he's heard and what's his take on the entire situation.

I was under the impression that the old team would be on the hook for signing bonus monies, while the new team was simply on the hook for salaries and future bonuses.

Not if it occurs on the same day it is signed. I'll try to find the relevant section in the CBA.

Not if it occurs on the same day it is signed. I'll try to find the relevant section in the CBA.

why dont you try and find it now so we know(speculate) what we are dealing with!!

I rock at breaking news ! First Cassel, now this...

wow, dont get hurt patting yourself on the back.

Ha.......HA

Love the sig, can't tell if he's waiting for the buffet to open or go eat some puppies, either way he looks hungry.

Re: Peppers Deal Possible?

NE is approximately $7.8 million under the cap as of today.

Gee, if someone is going to use my figures, at least give me the credit:)or better yet send some $$$ to the Bread of Life.

now that we have the main man capologist on, could we explore the cap possibilities re: peppers?

so far, there's been some mention that the panthers wouldn't be on the hook for any monies in a sign and trade deal done on the same day.
the confusion being whether or not they're responsible for any signing bonus monies.

also, solmon mentioned that a faux 'guaranteed' option bonus next year was an...option.

basically, how do you see them being able to fit him in, as they're probably about 5m under right now, w/the draft approaching?

so far, there's been some mention that the panthers wouldn't be on the hook for any monies in a sign and trade deal done on the same day.the confusion being whether or not they're responsible for any signing bonus monies.

Why would the Panthers give Peppers a signing bonus???All Peppers has to do is sign the franchise. The Panthers trade that contract to another team.

also, solmon mentioned that a faux 'guaranteed' option bonus next year was an...option.

A guaranteed option bonus is an option. What happens to the Patriots cap if 2010 is then capped???

Why would the Panthers give Peppers a signing bonus???All Peppers has to do is sign the franchise. The Panthers trade that contract to another team.

right, but wouldn't that be extremely hard to work under the cap, while a long term deal could be cap friendlier?
17m is a big number.

A guaranteed option bonus is an option. What happens to the Patriots cap if 2010 is then capped???

haha....then they're ****ed, i guess, which is certainly a consideration, however it seems they have about 30 guys coming due after this season, and I have to believe that was done deliberately to give them some flexibility in 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe