PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Camp Observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
did you even open up the page,Supa???...it has ALL the reports from all the various outlets with coverage by all the Pats beat reporters. YOU want this canard to continue...Cannon is NOT having a terrible camp so far "by all accounts!!"...and then you post some dreck by "three downs syndrome"...Reiss et al are all gathered in one place, the Spyder, for easy access to up to date information...crap on it all you want,that is just ignorant.

Look, I'm just giving you 3 possible outlets (ESPN, Boston.com, and Boston sports then/now) from 3 different days (Sat, Sun, Tues) in a row.

All I stated was that "Cannon hasn't looked so hot from all possible reports." If you want me to change it to "Cannon hasn't looked so hot from MOST possible reports" then I will gladly do that.

I was just talking football, and always keep it light with you.

You were the one that came at me with the "Crack county Times" (after your posting a link from Sports Spyder to prove my sources as too 'out there' for you to comprehend) and "WTF are you possibly talking about" stuff. I didn't expect it to be a hot topic that would rub someone in the wrong way.

Somebody needs to chill out and relax, Mr.Kerr :cool:

Last edited:
heh..alright...alright...look...Cannon has had some bumps and he has had some smooth sailing...he graded out with 2 wins against 0 losses today for example... I think Bequette fever made some pundits over dramatize the Saturday one on one drills...Cannon is working at different positions along the line...this is a GOOD thing no matter what some scribes want to portray...I personally like Field Yates and the work he does covering the Pats...

Camp Observations: Day 6 - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

I can't decide if I should excited about our defensive line, or nervous about our offensive line.

Much like many/most of the other players, I also found some positive statements about Cannon. Someone saw him as "quick on his feet" over the weekend, and by some accts they said that he "improved" in some areas today (while failing in some others).

Like my statement a page or so back says, "you have to take these reports with a grain of salt" because they are opinionated by different writers.

I simply made a statement about Cannon "not looking so hot" (by all accounts), so I am changing that to Cannon didn't look so hot (from some opinionated beat writers).

Apologies to have offended you, Mrs.Cannon. I am sure that your son will do just fine in camp. :eek:

heh..alright...alright...look...Cannon has had some bumps and he has had some smooth sailing...he graded out with 2 wins against 0 losses today for example... I think Bequette fever made some pundits over dramatize the Saturday one on one drills...Cannon is working at different positions along the line...this is a GOOD thing no matter what some scribes want to portray...I personally like Field Yates and the work he does covering the Pats...

Yes, there are certainly some good things about Cannon. For one I heard that he looked lighter and quicker coming into TC, so that's a plus. Another is his strength in the run game, and we all know what he did in college at TCU.

Certainly no offense intended on any level, and lesson learned from different opinions with different writers. Cannon's perceived (right or wrong) struggles have jumped out at some of us, as I believe they were talking about it in another thread today. That's the only reason why I pointed it out.

I think there are always going to be ups/downs with all camp reports, and it is certainly very early yet...possibly too early to differentiate one way or another on most players.

Apologies to have offended you, Mrs.Cannon. I am sure that your son will do just fine in camp.

apology accepted...good thing too..I was about to whip out my handy dandy,collapsible neoprene umbrella, with the look of real fabric, for a jolly good session of old bag swatting...:violent:

I can't decide if I should excited about our defensive line, or nervous about our offensive line.

Maybe a little of both? For now, I am going to try and see the positives. At least until it gets later in camp and certain trends have developed.

I think that the offense and coaches have done more with less talent on the o-line in the past, so even if there are some bigger names missing, that may not mean as much as it seems initially.

With D.Scarnecchia as offensive line coach + Brady and Belichick's experience in patching certain areas up, I still think that we'll be fine when it comes down to it.

They may need to chip a TE on someone's side and keep them in a bit more, but they will adjust no matter what.

Apologies to have offended you, Mrs.Cannon. I am sure that your son will do just fine in camp.

apology accepted...good thing too..I was about to whip out my handy dandy,collapsible neoprene umbrella, with the look of real fabric, for a jolly good session of old bag swatting...:violent:

Yes, I could tell :rocker:

The same thing happened with McCourty's breakup of the pass intended for Lloyd. McCourty never looked back. It was Lloyd's telegraphing the catch that gave him the inclination to throw up his left arm.

Of course you want your DB's to turn their head in man coverage but this is still solid technique. Any secondary coach at any level will tell you that, if you can't see the ball, then to watch for the receiver's tells. Looking up suddenly, changing his stride, eyes getting as big as dinner plates, etc. If McCourty couldn't turn his head, then what you're describing is the next best thing.

Some really encouraging observations from Bedard:

Practice rundown #6 - Extra Points - Boston.com

Of note:

Offense:

Really nice touch from QB Ryan Mallett to Britt Davis, who was covered tightly by Ross Ventrone. Tavon Wilson couldn’t provide safety help in time.

The comment of "Mallett" and "nice touch" is good to see. We already know the kid has a rifle for an arm. Owever, Bedard notes that Mallett did throw 2 INTs as well.

• Bolden continues to get more running attempts than Shane Vereen.

Great news about Bolden, but Vereen continues to disappoint. Ugh. I had great hopes for Vereen. Keeping my fingers crossed.

• They haven’t been good to this point, but you have to give the first-team offensive line props for their performance on Wednesday. The unit of LT Nate Solder, LG Donald Thomas, C Ryan Wendell, RG Robert Gallery and RT Marcus Cannon was much-improved over anything we’ve seen to this point.
• Wendell has really started to come on. He’s playing with an excellent base and was tough for Love and Marcus Harrison to move.
• Cannon’s quick feet have stood out as he has picked up his play. Both Cunningham and Jake Bequette couldn’t find room to get around Cannon.
• Weems made such an impression that he took him all of one practice to be the backup left tackle, a move that kicked Kyle Hix to left guard. Weems has really opened some eyes in the early going. Weems and Hix opened up perhaps the biggest running hold of camp for Brandon Bolden.

Donald Thomas seems to be having a strong camp. Dan Koppen doesn't - don't know if he's not fully recovered or if he's just at the end of his rope, but it wouldn't shock me if he doesn't make final 53. Weems seems to be a pleasasnt surprise, though it's still early. Lot of flux at the OL position.

Defense:

• Gerard Warren is really tough to block, which is what he showed in last year’s camp as well. Power and surprising quickness.
• Cunningham, who has been surging, was in the starting lineup on the left side for Trevor Scott. Ninkovich continued to be on the sideline.
Dont’a Hightower looks like a natural at the strong-side linebacker position. He consistently holds his own against tight ends and tackles at the point of attack. Hightower has been the most physical player in camp. He absolutely stopped FB Spencer Larsen in his tracks on a running play. Completely stood Larsen up. He has also shown better instincts in coverage than previously thought.

Hightower is quickly becoming my binky. I love the combination of physicality, aggression, instincts, smarts and versatility that he brings.

• [Tavon] Wilson, in as a linebacker in a dime package in a two-minute drill to end practice, had a terrific breakup of a Brady pass intended for TE Rob Gronkowski.
• CB Ras-I Dowling is starting to make strides on a consistent basis. Physically he looks better than he did in the off-season practices, and he’s doing a solid job in coverage.
• Sergio Brown’s odds of making the team seem to be diminishing. It looks like Josh Barrett is taking many of Brown’s spots on special teams. Brown’s play on those units were a bright spot last season.

Dowling and Wilson look like they should both have a significant impact on the secondary this year, if healthy. I can't see Sergio Brown making the team. I'm not sure about Barrett.

I was there last night agree with Bedard on almost everything. Quicks thoughts.

Ridley looks outstanding.
Mallett was awful.
They did a goal line LB coverage drill Hightower looked good in that too, he starts Game 1.
We need Waters to play, interior OL looked bad.
In the team passing drills barely any balls thrown at Dowling He was covering Gafney in the 2 minute drill. Good sign. Going mostly going at the Safeties and McCourty.

In the 2 minute drill (most entertaining for fans). The O had Welker, Gafney, Stallworth (for Lloyd) Gronk and Woodhead. Interesting that it was Gafney not Hernadez(he ran with the 2nd group).

The D was in a dime 4 DL 1 LB Mayo and Dowling, Arrington McCourty, Gregory, Chung and Wilson. Wilson looks athletic made some plays.

Right now the o-line isn't close to what the personnel will likely be on the first day of the season. The only likely starter currently playing in the position he will be playing once the season starts is Solder. Connolly is likely to move back to center. Waters, Mankins, and Vollmer are likely to return to their starting spots.

Granted on the flip side, the d-line is not playing against the starters.

In the 2 minute drill (most entertaining for fans). The O had Welker, Gafney, Stallworth (for Lloyd) Gronk and Woodhead. Interesting that it was Gafney not Hernadez(he ran with the 2nd group).

Interesting. I am not happy with any formation that takes Hernandez off the field. Honestly, when I was there Tuesday, he was completely unstoppable. One of the best two or three players on the field.

But then again, it's hard to argue with Gaffney/Lloyd. And Woody was a beast in the SB and I anticipate that going forward. I saw them run a lineup with Hernandez out of the backfield again - that might be the best way to get their 5 best receiving on the field. Especially in the 2 minute drill. I'd love to see a quick pitch or toss or handoff to him to keep the D honest.

Some really encouraging observations from Bedard:

Practice rundown #6 - Extra Points - Boston.com

Of note:

Offense:

The comment of "Mallett" and "nice touch" is good to see. We already know the kid has a rifle for an arm. Owever, Bedard notes that Mallett did throw 2 INTs as well.

Great news about Bolden, but Vereen continues to disappoint. Ugh. I had great hopes for Vereen. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Donald Thomas seems to be having a strong camp. Dan Koppen doesn't - don't know if he's not fully recovered or if he's just at the end of his rope, but it wouldn't shock me if he doesn't make final 53. Weems seems to be a pleasasnt surprise, though it's still early. Lot of flux at the OL position.

Defense:

Hightower is quickly becoming my binky. I love the combination of physicality, aggression, instincts, smarts and versatility that he brings.

Dowling and Wilson look like they should both have a significant impact on the secondary this year, if healthy. I can't see Sergio Brown making the team. I'm not sure about Barrett.

Sergio Brown shouldn't have made the team last year, unless we needed a guy to consistently run full speed into receivers before the ball even got there in big, in game moments.

The thing that bothers me most about this post is that the OLmen only get 2 reps in this drill. That's not a lot and I wish it were more.

if the defense can hold their opponents to less than 20 points, it's game over.

The more I see of Hoyer, the more I think he can be a QB in the 8-12 range in this league. (Schaub, Cutler, Ryan, etc) He has great accuracy and pocket presence, you can tell he's confident in the pocket.

Mallett on the other hand.....

if the defense can hold their opponents to less than 20 points, it's game over.

They might need to hold them to even less than that in the playoffs before we can say that...especially the Super Bowl. :bricks:

Sergio Brown shouldn't have made the team last year, unless we needed a guy to consistently run full speed into receivers before the ball even got there in big, in game moments.

Not to worry. He won't be back.

I'm definitely starting to get concerned about Gronk. It's not that there are a ton of reports out there about him right now. It's that fact that the reports that are out there have mentioned things like the Brady to Gronk connection isn't there yet, Gronk is not Gronk yet, or Gronk doesn't look comfortable or fully recovered yet.

My concern is what is the issue, still recovering from the ankle surgery? And if so, when can we expect a full recovery. If he still needs recovery time, why would Belichick and the staff be fielding him for practice everyday. Sounds to me like he should be resting in the training room or on the sidelines rather than being rushed back to the early stages of training camp.

Maybe I'm just crazy, granted I haven't seen a practice this year, just wondering what everyone else thinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST