PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Camp Observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
They might need to hold them to even less than that in the playoffs before we can say that...especially the Super Bowl. :bricks:

thay was last year's offense. this year's offense, if healthy, should take it a notch further. better WRs, RBs and more depth on the oline = lights out

thay was last year's offense. this year's offense, if healthy, should take it a notch further. better WRs, RBs and more depth on the oline = lights out

Will this year's offense outscore the 2007 team? 14 points in the SB. I know that the offensive line broke down in that game but isn't that the biggest concern we have in camp right now? I certainly hope that Waters returns and that Vollmer can stay on the field for more than a few games.

No game is over until it's over.

EDIT: Actually, I guess O-Line is the second biggest concern, with the secondary returning to 2011 form so far.

Last edited:
Is this significant??

Low numbers: The list of players sitting out is starting to get longer. In addition to the PUP list guys, WR Brandon Lloyd, WR Deion Branch, C/G Dan Connolly, DT Jonathan Fanene, DT Rob Ninkovich, TE Visanthe Shiancoe and DB Will Allen were all out with undisclosed injuries.

Is this significant??

Low numbers: The list of players sitting out is starting to get longer. In addition to the PUP list guys, WR Brandon Lloyd, WR Deion Branch, C/G Dan Connolly, DT Jonathan Fanene, DT Rob Ninkovich, TE Visanthe Shiancoe and DB Will Allen were all out with undisclosed injuries.

It could be nothing more than needing to stretch something out more thoroughly, and the training staff being conservative. It could also mean they are all on a downhill slide into an abyss of health problems and will never play football again.

Is this significant??

Deep thoughts

It could be nothing more than needing to stretch something out more thoroughly, and the training staff being conservative. It could also mean they are all on a downhill slide into an abyss of health problems and will never play football again.

Most likely the latter. :cool:

Is this significant??

I believe you are referring to the "list" just posted on ESPN Boston which is very misleading.. a number of the players were simply absent, including Lloyd, and this doesn't necessarily mean that he or everyone else on that list is injured.

I personally believe he just had a vet's day off. IIRC, BB traditionally gives vets Wednesdays off, during TC.

Last edited:
THIS makes me happy and optimistic. I still believe (and always have) that we may end up seeing good things from this kid:

Keep in mind it's a Bedard post from Boston.com, so it may a bit 'too' opinionated but it's still worth noting.

"■ Another strong pass breakup from Sterling Moore, who appears to lead the cornerbacks in that category by a wide margin. Moore’s ball skills were apparent last season, and if he keeps it up it may be tough to keep him on the sideline. But neither Ras-I Dowling nor Devin McCourty has ceded a lot of room. "

Great news for all 3 of those guys, not to mention Arrington looking decent in the slot as well.

Gregory also has been reported to have come on pretty strong the past few practices, as has Tavon Wilson. Excellent news from an area of weakness last year.

THIS makes me happy and optimistic. I still believe (and always have) that we may end up seeing good things from this kid:

Keep in mind it's a Bedard post from Boston.com, so it may a bit 'too' opinionated but it's still worth noting.

"■ Another strong pass breakup from Sterling Moore, who appears to lead the cornerbacks in that category by a wide margin. Moore’s ball skills were apparent last season, and if he keeps it up it may be tough to keep him on the sideline. But neither Ras-I Dowling nor Devin McCourty has ceded a lot of room. "

Great news for all 3 of those guys, not to mention Arrington looking decent in the slot as well.

Gregory also has been reported to have come on pretty strong the past few practices, as has Tavon Wilson. Excellent news from an area of weakness last year.

I sick secondary would really unleash the Pats front seven.

I think the key element we can get from these reports is that the secondary is "improving". To what degree it is hard to say. The Saints will be a good test next week, but it will STILL be hard to judge since neither team will have starters in the game long and no one will do much game planning. In fact that pre season game will be more a continuation of the 11 or 11 drills we will see in the practice, except the tacklers will FINALLY be able to take someone to the ground.

Unfortunately the reality of the situation is that we won't know anything for SURE, until the opening day against the Titans. And even then it won't be a finished product.

Moore is waiting in the wings as the 4th CB for either Ras-IR-Dowling to shatter or Mccourty to blow chunks. He'll eventually get his chance in the regular season.

The only disappointment that I have seen with the Patriot secondary is the hamstring injury that has kept Alphonzo Dennard from competing. I never felt that the outside CB position was weak, or that it did not have depth, with Arrington and Sterling Moore.

With the acquisition of steady Steve Gregory, newcomer Tavon, and the return to health of Chung and Barrett, the classical Safety concerns are removed, and BB has repaired it thoroughly, as he always does.

But the "Star" or nickle CB position is still a concern. Everyone wants to say that Arrington is fine there, but I do not agree. Arrington has looked much better as the #3 outside CB, but I don't see the "quickness", needed for that almost now standard starter, 'Star' or nickle CB position. Dennard looks to have the ideal size and quicks to excel there, and does not have the deep speed or size to be a premium outside CB.

:) :(

Last edited:
excited to see some of the defensive guys play Thursday.

The only disappointment that I have seen with the Patriot secondary is the hamstring injury that has kept Alphonzo Dennard from competing. I never felt that the outside CB position was weak, or that it did not have depth, with Arrington and Sterling Moore.

With the acquisition of steady Steve Gregory, newcomer Tavon, and the return to health of Chung and Barrett, the classical Safety concerns are removed, and BB has repaired it thoroughly, as he always does.

But the "Star" or nickle CB position is still a concern. Everyone wants to say that Arrington is fine there, but I do not agree. Arrington has looked much better as the #3 outside CB, but I don't see the "quickness", needed for that almost now standard starter, 'Star' or nickle CB position. Dennard looks to have the ideal size and quicks to excel there, and does not have the deep speed or size to be a premium outside CB.

:) :(

AZ, great thoughts.

As far as Arrington, it is my personal belief that he is much better suited for the star position, rather than the outside. He absolutely shut Victor Cruz down in the SB last year, to the tune of 24 yards. Some of his 'outside' duties last yr (due to the injury of Dowling) allowed him to have an absolutely horrible statsheet at times--although one of his stats (QB completion against) was not too shabby. His QBR against was one of the poorer statlines on the team though, next to McCourty. IIRC both were in the worst 10 in the NFL at one point. That may have to do more with the safety problem or coverage unit as a whole, or it could point to an area of deficiency for Arrington.

Many feel as though he is better suited to defend in a smaller area, and that he tends to lose his coverage as the play progresses and the coverage area widens.

I believe that it is the NEP opinion that he'd be better suited to defend the slot, and that McCourty and Dowling (or Moore if one of them goes down) will handle the outside duties.

You do make a point that he has seen some decent reps at outside CB at times in TC though, but I don't know if that's because he's the 4th option there and BB wants him to be ready/comfortable, or if it's due to the fact that he has been looking good lately? I suppose we'll know soon enough, and it certainly wouldn't be a shock if you are right and he plays some outside reps this year. The good thing is that we have some versatility to move different guys around, and a great coach to make those decisions :)

Last edited:
Think it's time to adjust expectations for DE Chandler Jones. At this point, he's a full-time starter at LDE and we don't really see any reason why that should change anytime soon.

596452886734362585970458.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back