PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Caldwell cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who's going to start the Predict where Reche ends up thread?

The bottom line is that no team was willing to give a 7th to the patriots to get Caldwell at $1.55M.

Sorry, I'm not buying it.

Then name the last player that signed for more than the veteran minimum and when that happened. Like I said, it was LOOOOONNNNNNG ago this offseason. I would be shocked if Caldwell got a million or more if he had cut him any time since June.

So I'm not misunderstanding, do you believe he could have signed for similar money if he we had given him more time?

The fact is you need your #5 WR to play ST. For some reason Caldwell did not work ST in camp and was a big reason Washington was picked over him.

The bottom line is that no team was willing to give a 7th to the patriots to get Caldwell at $1.55M.

Nor should they have, given the likelihood that the Patriots would be releasing one of those receivers.

Sorry, I'm not buying it.

Yet another example of insightful, cutting edge analysis by our resident expert on all things bush league. j/k ;)

Then name the last player that signed for more than the veteran minimum and when that happened. Like I said, it was LOOOOONNNNNNG ago this offseason. I would be shocked if Caldwell got a million or more if he had cut him any time since June.

So I'm not misunderstanding, do you believe he could have signed for similar money if he we had given him more time?

What he could have signed for is something neither you nor I will ever know. Now, however, he may not even have his money guaranteed, if teams wait until after week 1.

I was a Reche fan/defender because I thought he did a good job for us last year. Yet, I have to admit I thought he was in trouble with his preseason performance. He did nothing to stand out.

Well Reche, best wishes and thanks for helping us out last year. I think he could end up back in SD Eric Parker is out for a while.

Last edited:
What he could have signed for is something neither you nor I will ever know. Now, however, he may not even have his money guaranteed, if teams wait until after week 1.

Which SUCKS for Caldwell, I think we all agree, but it's hardly a straight line toward the Pats F.O. being bush league. It wasn't spite, it wasn't intentional, it WAS and is unfortunate and that's all.

What you are suggesting runs COMPLETELY counter to their their track record - indeed, this F.O. seems to be ESPECIALLY cognizant of giving guys they KNOW ARE GOING TO BE CUT a little extra time to hook on with another team before cuts occur. See Miller, Josh and Hawkins, Artrell. This happens ALL THE TIME in Foxboro, so why all of a sudden do you think they're totally going AGAINST that grain - especially with a guy like Reche who never caused a problem and, by all accounts, was well-liked by BB and the staff?

It makes NO SENSE.

Whether he can get 'room' or not is not the issue in my mind. Whether he can recoup his financial losses is. Sadly, people who post on message forums often overlook the 'job' aspect of sports. Imagine if there were only about 30 companies who pay people to do the job you do. Imagine if every year there was a hiring fair. Imagine you were the company's #1 salesman the year before and your company didn't fire you until after the job fair.

Are you really going to try telling me that you'd be saying to your friends "They just want to win the 'widget battle', so don't blame them for waiting until most of my job prospects have dried up. After all, it's probable that I'd have been doing most of my work in the office instead of sales because they hired some new people."?

I'm not quite sure I get the analogy. But under your scenario, if I'd made several millions of dollars in the last few years for average to below-average production, I wouldn't be expecting much sympathy from anyone.

Which SUCKS for Caldwell, I think we all agree, but it's hardly a straight line toward the Pats F.O. being bush league. It wasn't spite, it wasn't intentional, it WAS and is unfortunate and that's all.

What you are suggesting runs COMPLETELY counter to their their track record - indeed, this F.O. seems to be ESPECIALLY cognizant of giving guys they KNOW ARE GOING TO BE CUT a little extra time to hook on with another team before cuts occur. See Miller, Josh and Hawkins, Artrell. This happens ALL THE TIME in Foxboro, so why all of a sudden do you think they're totally going AGAINST that grain - especially with a guy like Reche who never caused a problem and, by all accounts, was well-liked by BB and the staff?

It makes NO SENSE.

Hmmm.....

I normally hate commenting on player moves by the Patriots because, unlike the Celtics, they actually know what they are doing most of the time, but this move makes no sense at all to me, unless it's been made out of spite. If Caldwell wasn't coming back, he should have been let loose a long time ago so he could catch on with another team.

I'm glad we can agree on something. It makes no sense.

I'm saying YOUR ARGUMENT makes no sense. I've offered up two perfectly plausible scenarios that DO make sense.

Last edited:
I really would love to hear your response to my question. Here's my thing again:

You presume that there is exactly one team in the NFL that would want Caldwell. If I were a team in need of a veteran WR, AND was willing to pay $1.55M, I would have traded a 7th in a heartbeat. The alternative was to wait until one of the receivers is cut, and then compete with other teams for the players.

Nor should they have, given the likelihood that the Patriots would be releasing one of those receivers.

I'm saying YOUR ARGUMENT makes no sense. I've offered up two perfectly plausible scenarios that DO make sense.

No, you didn't. See how this stupidity works?

You presume that there is exactly one team in the NFL that would want Caldwell. If I were a team in need of a veteran WR, AND was willing to pay $1.55M, I would have traded a 7th in a heartbeat. The alternative was to wait until one of the receivers is cut, and then compete with other teams for the players.

Simeon Rice says "Hello"

Last edited:
You're actually the one that's looking pretty stupid right now.

Coming from you, that's somber indeed. :rolleyes:

People are arguing against my OPINION, and they are doing so without any knowledge as to what actually happened which might change my mind.

Here are the known facts:

Caldwell was cut

It was after training camp and the preseason games

It was after initial cutdowns

Teams have most, or all of their rosters in place

Veterans get money guaranteed if they are on a roster for game one, but that doesn't occur if they don't get signed until game 2

Competition for services drives price up, lack of competition tends to result in lower prices for those services

This played out this way in spite of the team having made moves to bring in 4 receivers during the offseason, 3 of whom were all but guaranteed to make the team the moment they were obtained.

Now run along and play with the other children, and leave the posting to the adults.

Last edited:
You know, Deus, I really did try to dial it down a notch and approach this back-and-forth with a sense of wanting to really get to the bottom of it. You refused, and continue to refuse, to acknowledge perfectly legit and clearly stated counter-arguments. As for the latest salvo from you...

Your pathetic white flag is duly noted.

You know, Deus, I really did try to dial it down a notch and approach this back-and-forth with a sense of wanting to really get to the bottom of it. You refused, and continue to refuse, to acknowledge perfectly legit and clearly stated counter-arguments. As for the latest salvo from you...

Your pathetic white flag is duly noted.

Your arguments are not "perfectly legit" which could be why. First of all, you somehow overlooked the Lawyer Milloy situation. Second, you seem to have missed where I, myself, said that what has happened makes no sense to me. Clearly Caldwell got hosed, and the only question is "Why was it done that way?". You don't have the answer for sure because none of us here has it, so stop acting as if you do.

In order to try making your unproveable argument, you conveniently skipped the most notorious cut of the BB era. Well done. While I'm not surprised that you keep spewing crap, I thought you were trying to tone it down. Apparently, your idea of this was to keep giving me grief about an opinion of mine that you can in no way show to be erroneous.

You know where you can shove that white flag....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore