PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Caldwell cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't understand this love for Washington. The guy has accomplished less in his career than Caldwell did before Caldwell got here. At least Caldwell had earned a starting spot in San Diego before he blew his knee out. Washington couldn't even beat out an injured player for the #3 spot on the Bengals.

While I back your support of Caldwell's work in 2006, it's obvious that Washington has a lot more upside than Caldwell - at least it's obvious to Bill Belichick.

And the last thing you say is totally disingenuous, and I think you know it. The Cincy WR corps is ELITE, 1-3. Not being able to beat out Ocho-Cinco, TJ Alphabet and Henry is not necessarily a sign that you stink at football.

Your first paragraph perfectly sums up my thoughts regarding Caldwell.

I'm surprised by this move too. But it only means that Gaffney is fully healed from his preseason injury, and he'll be ready to start versus the Jets. Moss is a bit of an enigma at the moment, but we have four solid WR's already so we're OK.

Interesting ... you think Gaffney starts over a healthy Stallworth or Moss?

I guess it really doesn't matter who "starts" at WR as they will be rotating guys in constantly.

Interesting ... you think Gaffney starts over a healthy Stallworth or Moss?

I guess it really doesn't matter who "starts" at WR as they will be rotating guys in constantly.

I don't know if Moss will be ready to go. Stallworth will start, but Gaffney will start opposite of him like how they were lining up in the preseason before Gaffney got dinged up.

When you tell a player you're keeping him, you don't turn around and kill his opportunity to make money by dumping him after all the cuts have been made. It's bush league.

The Pats guaranteed Caldwell they were "keeping him?" When they brought in Welker, Moss, Washington and Stallworth? REALLY? Link?

The Pats guaranteed Caldwell they were "keeping him?" When they brought in Welker, Moss, Washington and Stallworth? REALLY? Link?

It was mentioned on another thread that Caldwell had been told he'd be here this year. Feel free to look it up. To me, it just makes a bad move worse, it doesn't make a good move bad. Belioli was wrong on this one.

When you tell a player you're keeping him, you don't turn around and kill his opportunity to make money by dumping him after all the cuts have been made. It's bush league.

Thats based on a second hand account from a reporter that quoted his agent....Glad you have such faith in the 5th Estate.

Last edited:
It's bush league.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Bush league. Now I get it. I hadn't understood what you mean until you repeated it the sixth time. Good argument. solid. You win.

That was F-ing BUSH LEAGUE! Who's with us?! We're going streaking!!!!

Never happened.

My two cents (as if anyone cared):

1. I was surprised that Caldwell was not cut earlier. I didn't expect him to make the team, but figured he was still around because of injuries to other players.

2. I'm surprised any Patriots fan would take Caldwell over Gaffney.

3. I thought he was gone this year the moment he dropped that wide-open pass. This was before they brought in Washington, Moss, Stallworth, obviously.

It was mentioned on another thread that Caldwell had been told he'd be here this year. Feel free to look it up. To me, it just makes a bad move worse, it doesn't make a good move bad. Belioli was wrong on this one.

They were obviously trying to make a trade and when that didn't happen they released Caldwell. What's so "bush league" about that? And how do we know Caldwell was told he'd be there this year? Did Belichick come out and say that?

I don't know if Moss will be ready to go. Stallworth will start, but Gaffney will start opposite of him like how they were lining up in the preseason before Gaffney got dinged up.

Moss is in full pads today and ready to go. Moss, Stallworth and Welker will be starting.

So, in another thread (on an internet messageboard) someone posted that someone else told Caldwell (or, maybe, his agent) that Reche would be "here this year?" That's some solid reportage. I stand corrected.

While I back your support of Caldwell's work in 2006, it's obvious that Washington has a lot more upside than Caldwell - at least it's obvious to Bill Belichick.

And the last thing you say is totally disingenuous, and I think you know it. The Cincy WR corps is ELITE, 1-3. Not being able to beat out Ocho-Cinco, TJ Alphabet and Henry is not necessarily a sign that you stink at football.

I think you mis-read my post. I said NOTHING about Washington beating out Chad Johnson or Houshmandzadeh. I was talking about his inability to beat out Chris Henry for the #3 WR slot even when Chris Henry was injured. So there is nothing disingenuous about my statement.

So, in another thread (on an internet messageboard) someone posted that someone else told Caldwell (or, maybe, his agent) that Reche would be "here this year?" That's some solid reportage. I stand corrected.

I voiced my opinion and gave reasons for it. As I noted, that line doesn't make a good move bad, it makes a bad move worse. Even if the line was misunderstood, or manufactured, by the people in that thread, this was still a bush league move. Go bite at someone else's ankles.

Caldwell was just too expensive (at 1.55M) to keep him on the team (or to get any trade value for him).

If he were signed for just $600K (like Washington), I think this would have played out differently.

How is this a bush league move by the Pats? They gave him every chance to earn a roster spot. They brought in a bunch of guys to compete at WR. Should they not evaluate players throughout camp and just cut guys right away?

Reche had a chance to make the team but he couldn't beat out Washington or Gaffney. The Pats probably hadn't made up their mind as to what WRs to keep until this week. You can't fault them for that. They are running a business.

Totally agree. All along I believe Washington was "slotted" for the #5 WR spot. He can compete for time on special teams, likely won't be a distraction if he is an occasional benchwarmer/gameday inactive and (if he doesn't develop) will keep a roster spot warm for CJ later in the year.

That left Caldwell and Gaffney competing for one spot...the #4 receiver. Obviously one of them would have to go and Gaffney continued his key post-season play with a strong camp.

Caldwell was given a shot and it didn't work out. He made good money last year and got valuable experience in a great system. He now has a chance to catch on somewhere else and he gets to pick the opportunity best for him (he is entering his prime earning years). It won't take long for WRs to start dropping like flies, so he will find a home soon.

If we kept Caldwell and every WR was healthly, we'd have to choose between 6 WRs to activate each week. Moss, Stallworth and Welker would be locks. Gaffney brings a different style from Caldwell and if we were to activate a 5th WR (I would be shocked to see 6 active WRs on a 45 man roster) I would pick Washington because of his gunner abilities.

After Week 6, if Brown is ready to come back, he'll have a spot. Belchick certainly wouldn't keep him inactive week-to-week. Then you also have Chad Jackson.

So in terms of the 45 man active roster, I don't see where Caldwell would fit in, especially after the return of Troy Brown. The fact that he was cut now IMO is simply because the team has everyone healthy. Don't you think it would be "bush league" to have your #1 WR from 2006 sitting at home each week barring someone being hurt?

Caldwell outperformed even my expectations of him last season. Pretty much the only consistent WR for the team in 2006. But obviously Belichick wasn't satisfied or else he wouldn't have COMPLETELY loaded the team with new WR's this year. Good luck to Caldwell and here's hoping he doesn't sign with an AFC contender.

Deus, I have no interest in ankles, biting or otherwise, I just don't think the "argument" you are purported to have made holds up. Do you have any response to the fact that there are legitimate and plausible reasons as to why the timing ended up being so crappy - reasons that have nothing to do with "bush league" moves?

Deus, I have no interest in ankles, biting or otherwise, I just don't think the "argument" you are purported to have made holds up. Do you have any response to the fact that there are legitimate and plausible reasons as to why the timing ended up being so crappy - reasons that have nothing to do with "bush league" moves?

I gave my reasons, and they are more than sufficient in my mind. I really don't care if you find them lacking, particularly given your behavior on this site this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back