PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

By Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzPatsFan

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
With all the moaning about our three point loss to the Falcons I thought I'd look at how one of our competitors for the SB is doing.

The Colts lost franchsie back Edge James to Free Agency, along with a starting DT and a starting LB. They drafted a guy named Joe ... (Addai). How is their new running game going? They went 16 carries for 37 yards overall, (2.31 YPC).

Six of the yards came on a scramble by a QB, so the RBs went 15 for
for 31 or 2.1 ypc. Eleven of the yards came on a single carry by our old Practice Squader UDFA Kory Chapman. No one ever accused him of being a franchise back.

The "real" ballcarriers Addai, Rhodes, and Mungro went 11 for 19 for a 1.72 YPC. Horrors!

Since the Clots depend on a overpowering Offense to offset their terrible Defense, where is the Colts "PANIC BUTTON" ?

It should be worn out from pressing by now...

Now, I know the Chicken Littles are loose but remember the proverb...

"I cried I had no shoes, untill i met a man who had no feet."

I thought I'd offer another comparison of another SB competitor.

The Champion Steelers lost the Bus to retirement. They had hopes that Duce Staley would return from injury to take his carries, and spell little Willie Parker, who is too small to take the punishment of a full time back.

The Steelers team is structured around a punishing running game, averaging 150+ ypg. The Steelers rushing game went 22 for 72 yards against the mighty Arizona Cardinals (?)! Duce Staley provided lots of encouragement for worried Steeler fans, when he produced 7 carries for 14 yards, 2.0 YPC, with a long of 6. Discount that "big run" and its even worse as he went 6 for 8 yards or a 1.33 YPC.

Where is the Pittsburgh "PANIC BUTTON' ?

Its time for it to be pressed and hard. BTW, they lost 21-13 and it wasn't as close as that because they scored a cheap TD with a minute to play in garbage time, other wise it would have bee as lopsided as the entire game was. I was there as Cards fans started leaving with ten minutes to go in the game as is usual; but this time they were up by two TDs. It must be a force of habit that they can't break.

RE:Cassel QB Did you know he went 16/32 for 229, 1TD and 0 INTs, 1 sack 6 scrambles for 32 yds (5.33 YPC), for a 93.3 QB rating? Yet people were criticizing him for a "shakey" start including a strip sack by Abraham. In his last three outings, Cassel has gone for QB performance ratings of 122, 89 and now 93. That is not the ratings of a chump QB. In reality, his lifetime NFL QB rating is in the top twenty in NFL history!

AzPatsFan said:
RE:Cassel QB Did you know he went 16/32 for 229, 1TD and 0 INTs, 1 sack 6 scrambles for 32 yds (5.33 YPC), for a 93.3 QB rating? Yet people were criticizing him for a "shakey" start including a strip sack by Abraham. In his last three outings, Cassel has gone for QB performance ratings of 122, 89 and now 93. That is not the ratings of a chump QB. In reality, his lifetime NFL QB rating is in the top twenty in NFL history!
You seem to like stats, so you might like this one: did you know Cassell was 3 of 10 with a fumble lost until the Falcons 3rd stringers came onto the field?

Last edited:
No reason to worry about Cassel. I would much rather him back up brady then anyone that they could bring in. ie. Vinny

AzPatsFan said:
With all the moaning about our three point loss to the Falcons I thought I'd look at how one of our competitors for the SB is doing.

The Colts lost franchsie back Edge James to Free Agency, along with a starting DT and a starting LB. They drafted a guy named Joe ... (Addai). How is their new running game going? They went 16 carries for 37 yards overall, (2.31 YPC).

Six of the yards came on a scramble by a QB, so the RBs went 15 for
for 31 or 2.1 ypc. Eleven of the yards came on a single carry by our old Practice Squader UDFA Kory Chapman. No one ever accused him of being a franchise back.

The "real" ballcarriers Addai, Rhodes, and Mungro went 11 for 19 for a 1.72 YPC. Horrors!

Since the Clots depend on a overpowering Offense to offset their terrible Defense, where is the Colts "PANIC BUTTON" ?

It should be worn out from pressing by now...

Now, I know the Chicken Littles are loose but remember the proverb...

"I cried I had no shoes, untill i met a man who had no feet."

I thought I'd offer another comparison of another SB competitor.

The Champion Steelers lost the Bus to retirement. They had hopes that Duce Staley would return from injury to take his carries, and spell little Willie Parker, who is too small to take the punishment of a full time back.

The Steelers team is structured around a punishing running game, averaging 150+ ypg. The Steelers rushing game went 22 for 72 yards against the mighty Arizona Cardinals (?)! Duce Staley provided lots of encouragement for worried Steeler fans, when he produced 7 carries for 14 yards, 2.0 YPC, with a long of 6. Discount that "big run" and its even worse as he went 6 for 8 yards or a 1.33 YPC.

Where is the Pittsburgh "PANIC BUTTON' ?

Its time for it to be pressed and hard. BTW, they lost 21-13 and it wasn't as close as that because they scored a cheap TD with a minute to play in garbage time, other wise it would have bee as lopsided as the entire game was. I was there as Cards fans started leaving with ten minutes to go in the game as is usual; but this time they were up by two TDs. It must be a force of habit that they can't break.

very good post. A lot of people here are freaking out from ONE PRE-SEASON game. It's ridiculous. And it continues a trend of crummy posts from people, many of them newbies, who have dragged down the standards of a site that HAD been, until now, far better than the "common" boards that litter the internet.

PromisedLand said:
You seem to like stats, so you might like this one: did you know Cassell was 3 of 10 with a fumble lost until the Falcons 3rd stringers came onto the field?

Cassel can't control whom he faces, he can only try to play well, regardless. You have to look at the big picture, in the opportunities Cassel has had to play, he hasn't had a worse QB Rating than 89.4, and that was in a REGULAR season game against a team that was desperately trying to win. I don't know if he threw an INT in his preseason games last year, but he didn't throw one Friday. He only needs experience, he's only 24. I'm not saying he is the next Brady, I hope we never get the chance to find out. One thing you have to be excited about, in his brief playing time, he has fought hard, and put his team in the game. One thing I do remember about last year's preseason game, just like Friday night, I was impressed how he shook off a poor start to play much better. Can someone post his stats in all the Patriot games that he's played ?

PromisedLand said:

PL,

No, but I did know that neither his #1, or his #2, or hs #3 WR, played a snap with him. He was strpped sacked by Abraham who tossed aside Gorin who was a second or third or maybe fourth backup playing LOT instead of Light, (the starter), or Kaycur, (the first backup) and Britt, (second backup?).

I do remember one of his RBs getting stuffed in the backfield after a Falcon DT got cleanly into the backfield, leaving #64 Gene Mruczkowski whiffing air. (I had to look in the program to see who #64 was.) I think Gene is a third stringer behind Mankins and Hochstein.

So I would say that Cssell was probably playing with HIS OWN THIRD & FOURTH STRING, long before the Falcons put their third string in to the game.

So anything else ?

AzPatsFan said:
So anything else ?
No. Your immensely superior argument has me shaking in my socks. :rolleyes: But I still cling desparately to the notion that Cassell hasn't proved it to me, yet.

NEM said:
That may be so, but he was playing with OUR 2nd and 3rd stringers, too..and that may have caused some problems in pass protection, etc.

That is why I have stated, in several different posts, that next Saturday, against the Cardinals, that Cassel be giventhe start and let him play , for one full quarter, at least, with the rest of the starting unit, particularly the offensive line.

If he has to come into a game during the regular season, those are the guys who he will be playing with,and the guys who will be protecting him.

I'd like to see how he does. I didnt think his performance against the Falcons was too bad, but he needs to play with the starters in order to get a true image of his abilities.

NEM,

Though I agree with you, everybody knows how preseason works. The starting QB's always play the first series, and then take the rest of the game off (though Brady doesn't seem happy about that). The second game, they play at least one quarter, the third game, most of the game, and the 4th game, maybe a quarter. Every team seems to do it this way. I will say this, as far as backups, I was more impressed with Schaub than Cassel, but watching Indy, Cassel seemed way more impressive than Sorgi. Cassel isn't as good as Schaub yet, but Schaub has had a year head start, and way more college football experience. In my opinion, if pressed into play, Cassel will play fine with the first team. He was under pressure a lot of the night (with the backups in there), something Schaub, Randall & Shockley didn't seem to have to face very often.

Good thread, AZPatsfan. The Colts could be a complete disaster if the running game fails. Addai, yeh, like he and Mungro are going to just step into the Edge's shoes, right.

Cassell just looked nervous at first. I don't care who he ended up doing better against but he was more patient, relaxed and threw with solid mechanics while making solid judgements later in the game. He did short arm his last pass but the sky-is-falling crowd needs to give the dude a break.

Last edited:
Cassel demonsrarted one thing Friday night. He is *very* inexperienced. He needs major playing time before we can decide whether he is the real thing or the classic flash-in-the-pan.

PromisedLand said:
No. Your immensely superior argument has me shaking in my socks. :rolleyes: But I still cling desparately to the notion that Cassell hasn't proved it to me, yet.

Its tough to become complacent when a dedicated Pats fan like yoy, has his proper questioning hat on.

Have any of you watched some of the rest of the teams backups and even starters perform this weekend? Yeesh.... I just watched the first 10 minutes of the 'Skins at Cincy and all these guys are doing is throwing INTS. One of which may have just cost Washington Clinton Portis for a while as he valiently but foolishly attempted to tackle the defender who was on his way to a critical pre season TD...

Cassel will be fine.

AzPatsFan said:
With all the moaning about our three point loss to the Falcons ....

Didn't wish to start an entire thread about it.
But - after reading hundreds of "post"-game posts - i noticed that NOT ONE bemoaned the result on the scoreboard. Everyone (properly) analyzed the play and the players. Remarkably widespread football sophistication ... sed i to meself.

VERY interesting. I also copy the rebuttal.

But i also recall that Box shows that as soon as Matt took the helm - second possession -
the entire backup OL was on the field.

MoLewisrocks said:
Have any of you watched some of the rest of the teams backups and even starters perform this weekend? Yeesh.... I just watched the first 10 minutes of the 'Skins at Cincy and all these guys are doing is throwing INTS. One of which may have just cost Washington Clinton Portis for a while as he valiently but foolishly attempted to tackle the defender who was on his way to a critical pre season TD...

Cassel will be fine.
Todd Collins was actually embarassing his first two series. Painful to watch.

Edit: make that the first three series.

First: interception
Second: intentional grounding (and obvious) in the endzone resulting in a safety
Third: tripped over his own man and went down in a heap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the Clots depend on a overpowering Offense to offset their terrible Defense,

:rocker: HA HA

It's awesome! Some of you guys just live in your own little world, don't you? Reality has no place in the equation. :rocker:

The Colts defense was excellent last year - #2 in the league. The Pats D was utterly pathetic. Sure, it didn't look bad playing the junior varsity QBs down the stretch. :rocker:

Triplett was not the starter. He was expendable with the acquisition of Corey Simon.

Thornton was the 3rd best linebacker.

The loss of McGinnest outweighs the loss of both of those guys X 10.

Addai had all of 3 carries the other night. The Colts 1st team offense looked unstoppable.

Vs. the Falcons, the Pats D looked pathetic. The receivers look weak.

And just like against the Falcons, the Pats defense without Harrison and Bruschi last year, was one of the worst I've ever seen, and trust me, I've seen some bad ones with the Colts.(Even with Bruschi, the Colts lit it up in '05) The entire success of the Patriots in 2006 may depend on the health performance of those two guys and both are old and have serious health concerns. Now McGinnest is gone as well.

Oh, and we have Vinatieri.

Yankees/Colts said:

It's awesome! Some of you guys just live in your own little world, don't you? Reality has no place in the equation. :rocker:

The Colts defense was excellent last year - #2 in the league. The Pats D was utterly pathetic. Sure, it didn't look bad playing the junior varsity QBs down the stretch. :rocker:

Triplett was not the starter. He was expendable with the acquisition of Corey Simon.

Addai had all of 3 carries the other night. The Colts 1st team offense looked unstoppable.

And just like against the Falcons, the Pats defense without Harrison and Bruschi last year, was one of the worst I've ever seen, and trust me, I've seen some bad ones with the Colts.(Even with Bruschi, the Colts lit it up in '05) The entire success of the Patriots in 2006 may depend on the health performance of those two guys and both are old and have serious health concerns. Now McGinnest is gone as well.

Maybe you failed to mention the Colts D allowed the highest completion percentage of any NFL defense last year. Secondary is healthy. Its been a learning experience, particularly for Wilson. Samuel has Harrison to help him again. And there is a lot good with the Patriots secondary. The defensive line is easily better than the Colts and easily in the top 5 in the NFL. The linebacker spot is where we have to worry. Though Colvin and Vrabel are two very underrated players. Bruschi will be back not long into the season and we seek for the player to fill the final spot in our starting defense. Against the Falcons Seymour was out too, the staple of the defensive line. Our backups in the secondary stunk so did a few of the backup LBs.

MoLewisrocks said:

Cassel will be fine.

:ditto:

Major upgrade over Davy.

Yankees/Colts said:

This has to be that same mentally challenged Colt's fan Manning10XRegularSeasonMVP. It's funny how he say's we live in our own little world, yet when he mentions our defense looked better when we started playing against weaker competition he fails to mention that his team had one of the easiest schedules in the NFL, especially the first 5 games when THEY played against "junior varsity QB's". They gave up six points per game after the first 5 games, what was that average after that (19.8 a game just to let you know) ? They even struggled against Houston in a few of the games they faced them.

The 2005 Colts were a complete joke, with the media handing them the Super Bowl trophy after 10 games into the regular season. I knew, I told everyone that they weren't going to win it. Everyone was saying, "Wow, look at the Colts, they have a defense now", and I just laughed, saying, have you seen whom they played ? Texans, Jaguars, Jets, Titans & Redskins the first 5 games, not exactly offensive juggernauts (look at what our crappy defense did to the juggernaut Jaguar offense in the playoffs).

The Pats suffered more injuries than any team in football, including key players like Rodney Harrison, Matt Light, and then Richard Seymour missed 6 games, our running backs were injured (Dillon missed a few games, Faulk missed 8). They also had the THIRD most difficult schedule !!

The Colts had one of the easiest schedules in football, hardly any key injuries, and home field advantage in the playoffs, they had everything laid out for them, even got help from the refs (The Polumalu non-INT call was one of the worst calls I've EVER seen). Yet the Colts season finished exactly ONE DAY after the Patriots season. Plus they lost one of the top RB's in football, one of their top linebackers, and top D-Linemen.

Hmm, if anyone is living in their own little world, I think it is you sir.

Yankees/Colts said:

The Colts defense was excellent last year - #2 in the league.

That's what I was going to say. Why did nobody notice that the Colts had a defense last year, which will be another year more mature this year (not a lot of aging players)?

AzPatsFan said:
Its tough to become complacent when a dedicated Pats fan like yoy, has his proper questioning hat on.
I'm happy to protect and to serve! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes