PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bulletin Board Material: Dilfer goes too far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That means we didn't replace both our corners and spot the other team three touchdowns yesterday? Great, i feel a lot better now.
Thank you for informing me that the Patriots defense shut down the Bills offense after the first quarter, created or were the beneficiaries of 4 turnovers, provided good field position for the offense whilst contributing to the win.

The D was poor for a quarter, good for one and excellent for two. The Packers D just gave up 575 yards of net offense at home.

Last edited:
The reality is none of the other five offenses in the AFC tournament are even close to Buffalo.

At first I thought, "no way this is true", but after looking up the stats:

Buffalo is 14th in PPG and 14th in Yards

Cinci is 18th in PPG and 20th in Yards

Pittsburgh is 22nd in PPG (surprising) 12th in Yards

Baltimore is 12th in PPG and 15th in Yards

Denver is 25th in PPG and 23rd in Yards

Houston is 10th in PPG and 13th in Yards * (this is skewed since the T.J Yates offense is probably around 20th+ in PPG and 20th in Yards)

So yes, Buffalo's offense is better than any team's in the playoffs besides the Ravens, which they are close with. You could argue that Fitzpatrick would be the 3rd best QB in the playoffs too hah.

I agree with him. For a #1 seed, we seem to have a glaring weakness in the secondary. Of course, with Chung back and the latest scramble lineup maybe we fix it in time, I wouldn't be surprised. Maybe some people here think we can spot top teams three touchdowns every game, i don't.

I do think the rest of our defense has taken a bad rap, our front seven is talented and deep and has played well together. Still, without a functioning secondary we're not going anywhere and commentators are supposed to report what they see.

We were one decent drive in the first quarter from stealing one in Pittsburgh, one bad penalty away from holding on vs NYG, held Denver in the teens when it mattered. Those are the three playoff teams we faced and never went down many points to them, the 17 and 21 point leads we came back from mean nothing positive/negative in our playoff run.

I don't see the big deal, we are 11-3 then 12-3 against two crap teams and didn't come out with intensity, what makes you think that starting the playoffs 0-0 with the season on the line is going to cause that same effort (2-0 by an avg of 15.5 points isn't bad effort anyways)?

This is coming from the worst QB that won a SB IMO. He's such a non factor.

This is good, I'd rather us not be the consensus favorites again and this has to fire up the team.

I just wonder why no one mentions this about Green Bay.

Because they won the Super Bowl last year. Because the Pats haven't won a playoff game in 4 years. Because Green Bay has essentially the same cast of players who were a very good defense a year ago. Because the Pats D hasn't been good in years.

Is any of this relevant to the next 4 weeks? No but if you want to know why there is less concern amongst the media about the Packers those are the reasons.

This is coming from the worst QB that won a SB IMO. He's such a non factor.

When he played QB, the joke was:

Q: "What is a Dilfer?"

A: "Fer throwin' interceptions, of course!"

At first I thought, "no way this is true", but after looking up the stats:

Buffalo is 14th in PPG and 14th in Yards

Cinci is 18th in PPG and 20th in Yards

Pittsburgh is 22nd in PPG (surprising) 12th in Yards

Baltimore is 12th in PPG and 15th in Yards

Denver is 25th in PPG and 23rd in Yards

Houston is 10th in PPG and 13th in Yards * (this is skewed since the T.J Yates offense is probably around 20th+ in PPG and 20th in Yards)

So yes, Buffalo's offense is better than any team's in the playoffs besides the Ravens, which they are close with. You could argue that Fitzpatrick would be the 3rd best QB in the playoffs too hah.

The stats are even better than the "eye test". All of these offenses are at best borderline horrific.

On Mike and Mike they played a bite from Dilfer saying:

(paraphrasing)

This is one of the few #1 seeds hes ever seen that he cant picture to get to the superbowl.

He's lost for words at how they get here.

Cant put finger on it/Mind is boggled.

They're not good enough team to get to superbowl.

They get down by a lot vs bad teams and now will play another team who will go for jugular and put this team away.

Finally, he wont be surprised if another one and done playoffs.

Sooo how quickly can BB and the gang use this to fuel the team? :p

(I know it's playoff time and there should be no need for 'extra motivation' but can't hurt right?)

Who but us homers give the Pats one iota of respect? Great offense, good special teams, no defense. What gets me is that GB is pretty much the same makeup but since they won it all last year they get a pass. Oh well, maybe the team can change the perception of the league in the playoffs. If not, then expect the same (or more) next year and in the off season. If the team wants to change that then they need some defensive talent, especially in the secondary. A little less reliance on the geriatric players would help as well. There is nobody I have heard that thinks the Pats have any chance at all for success in the postseason, much less go all the way.

Dungy said the same thing last night. He liked BAL in the AFC and not the Pats because of the shaky D but picked GB in the NFC because of their defense.

Really?

The Baltimore and Pittsburgh offenses are worse than our defense.

The reality is none of the other five offenses in the AFC tournament are even close to Buffalo.

Would Trent have been happier with yeserday's scoring being better spaced out.

Mike and Mike were wondering how Denver can score on Pittsburgh.

How is Pittsburgh going to score on Denver?

Both of those offenses flat out suck.

Sorry, but I'll take Roethlisberger, Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Ward, Mendenhall and Miller over our defense any day. They're not consistent, but Pittsburgh has the ability to be explosive. We didn't have a single really excellent defensive performance all year, unless you count the Chiefs game.

On Mike and Mike they played a bite from Dilfer saying:

(paraphrasing)

This is one of the few #1 seeds hes ever seen that he cant picture to get to the superbowl.

He's lost for words at how they get here.

Cant put finger on it/Mind is boggled.

They're not good enough team to get to superbowl.

They get down by a lot vs bad teams and now will play another team who will go for jugular and put this team away.

Finally, he wont be surprised if another one and done playoffs.

Sooo how quickly can BB and the gang use this to fuel the team? :p

(I know it's playoff time and there should be no need for 'extra motivation' but can't hurt right?)

The only motivation the Patriots need is MHK!!

Dilfer is an idiot! Hes a bad QB and the only reason why ESPN lets him talk is because The Ravens defense won him a superbowl to get a ring! The Patriots are the #1 seed, but I feel they will be sleepers. Chung is back and so is Spikes, slowly but surely the Patriots are getting healthy just in time for the playoffs!

Who cares? Dilfer can suck it, anyone can say something bad about this team..

Sorry, but I'll take Roethlisberger, Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Ward, Mendenhall and Miller over our defense any day. They're not consistent, but Pittsburgh has the ability to be explosive. We didn't have a single really excellent defensive performance all year, unless you count the Chiefs game.

I feel where you coming from. I like our track record vs the Steelers. I do think if we played them a 2nd time the Steelers will be in for a beatdown.

The issue is Dilfer's hypocrisy. He's picked the Packers to win the NFC and endorsed their inferior defense compared to the Patriots, despite eerily similar performances by the offenses and defenses.

Great post man, heres one of the few mediots to mention this:

10. Packers defense is even worse than the Patriots.

All year, the media has harped on the Patriots’ porous defense, barely noticing the Swiss cheese sieve in Green Bay.

At the end of the season, the numbers don’t lie. The Patriots gave up 411.1 yards per game, and the Packers gave up 411.6.

The Packers also finished with a worse pass defense, giving up 299.8 yards per game. The Pats surrendered, on average, 293.9. That’s 34.1 yards per game more than the third-worst pass defense, the Saints.

Fittingly, the three worst pass defenses are complemented by the three best pass offenses.

And so, if the top two seeds make it to Indianapolis for the Super Bowl (or if the Saints get there instead of the Packers), it could be time to reduce the field from 100 yards to 50, put up nets at either end, and just call the game what it will be — arena football.

Week 17 Monday 10-pack | ProFootballTalk

LOL

So what if they have "potential", where is the actual?

This is the reason why we have so much clueless "analysis".

You know this to be true because this is what you believe.

LOL

He's an analyst and he's giving his opinion. I really don't have a problem with it.

Remember what Tom Jackson said about Belichick in 2001. His opinion obviously didn't matter, and neither does Dilfers.

I just hope Dilfer doesn't try to talk to Belichick if we happen to go to the superbowl and win it. We all read in Patriot Reign how much BB hated Tom Jackson and probably still does to this day. He doesn't forget these things and its a small world in the NFL.

Jackson said what he said after BB cut Lawyer in week one in 2003.

You look at the field in the AFC and you gotta wonder who are a better team than the Pats. You cannot definitively say anyone. Every team has their weaknesses.

Dilfer is off base here considering the Packers are almost a mirror image of the Pats. Yes, they have bigger names on defense, but they aren't playing all that much better.

It was always a given that the Pats were going to roll through the last 2 months. Backup QB's, inferior teams. Yesterday, Fitz was money until they benched Stevie J., and then he fell apart.

It's very hard to tell how this team will play in the playoffs, based on the last half of the season. Most of the QB's in the playoffs are much better than what they've faced; most of the defenses are better.

Dilfer has a basis for his opinion.

Anyone who reads these forums would see the same sentiment from Patriots fans, I don't know why it's a surprise that someone else would say it?

Dilfer saying he cannot see the Patriots winning two games and playing in the Super Bowl is not only "surprising," it is absurd. The AFC competition this year is good, not great, especially with Roethlisberger injured.

Which team in the AFC playoff picture is so good that they represent the end of the road? Pittsburgh and Baltimore are good but flawed. Houston, Cincinnati and Denver?

The opposing QBs are an immobile Ben Roethlisberger, Flacco, TJ Yates (Go Heels!), Dalton and Tim Tebow. Hardly frightening. None of these guys can keep up with the Patriots without turnovers by the Patriots. Take care of the ball and the Patriots win.

The Ravens are the class of the AFC record-wise if you look at playoff team opponents. They are 5-0 against 2012 Playoff teams. They beat the Steelers and Bengals twice each and knocked off San Francisco in Baltimore. All of the Steelers losses are to playoff teams - they're 3-4, including the win over the Pats back in week 8. (The Pats are 1-2 against playoff teams).

All of the Ravens losses came on the road and guess what? If they play the Patriots it is on the road. Also, their opponents do not include a high-scoring offense like the Patriots other than the Chargers who lit them up in San Diego a few weeks ago.

It is totally realistic to think the Patriots can make it to the Super Bowl.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft