PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bulletin Board Material: Dilfer goes too far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's his opinion

I mean i can see where he is coming from..they get down big the decide to play..won't work in playoffs..if it happens..yes it's one and done

That's OK, pretty much everyone said there was no way the Ravens could win a Super Bowl with a minor league QB running their offense.

Personally I'm glad Dilfer feels that way. I like the underdog / disrepected team role even though I believe we are the favorites. BB can use this as motivation. As has been stated here all AFC teams are flawed:

Balt: QB play
Hou: QB play
Den: QB play
Pitt: injuries to Raper / Mendenhall, also run D not as good as years past
Cinci: haven't watched them this year but don't view them as SB contenders

When I first heard of this sacreligious outrage from Dilfer on Mike and Mike, I knew SOMETHING had to be done. In fact I knew EXACTLY what had to be done. So I made the call. What call you ask. I made the call to Atlanta.

C'mon, are you telling me you have to ask who I was calling in Atlanta. God, you're dense this morning. I was calling Rodney, of course. Yes.... Rodney Harrison. Who else.

WHY am I calling Rodney? That should be clear from the outset, but since you are a little slow today, I called him because he has it. He has it right in the vault where he has kept it since he retired. He promised me he'd be sending up today. and it should arrive just in time for the Tuesday Press Conferences

Why do you have still have that quissical look on your face? If you have a question just come out and say it.

WHAT is "it"? You mean YOU don't know what "it" is??? THE CARD, dummy The Card. The basic fundamental aspect that has formed the core of the BB Patriots ever since Pro Football Weekly declared in the fateful spring of 2001 that our beloved Patriots were the LEAST likely team to make to a superbowl in the next 5 years in the LEAGUE.

The Card. The thing that propelled this franchise to 3 superbowls wins, 4 superbowl appearences, 5 AFCCGs 9 AFCE division crowns, and 11 consecutive winning seasons'

The Card - the driving force behind all this success, and something that has been missing for far too long, and now its time it should be brought back. And Rodney agrees with me.

The Lack of Respect Card

Rodney LOVED the "lack of respect card" and took it with him when he retired....and there it has sat for many years while we basked in the "respectibility and honor" that had defined a decade of excellence. But, NOW it is time to take the card out again Now is the time to embrace the hate. Accept the negativity. Wallow in the questions

NOW is the time to rise up as a nation possessed and declare for all who may listen "You don't respect my team......and I DON'T CARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!! It will only make the eventual winning THAT much sweeter.

No my friends when "the card" arrives tomorrow, everything will change. Attitudes, Tempers, Demeanors. We will practise harder. Focus Harder. Prepare Harder. LET them underestimate our defense. LET them demean our record. LET them minimize our chances. TELL us again about the Ravens. I want to hear more about last year's Jets game. STEEL MY RESOLVE. I don't care, for I.....now have.......THE CARD!!!!!!!!

OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Personally I'm glad Dilfer feels that way. I like the underdog / disrepected team role even though I believe we are the favorites. BB can use this as motivation. As has been stated here all AFC teams are flawed:

Balt: QB play
Hou: QB play
Den: QB play
Pitt: QB play
Cinci: QB play

Fixed that for you, no good QB is coming to Foxboro, and hasn't since Eli and Romo a few months back.

Dilfer was way over the top, and he didn't think out his comments very well.

Hopefully he'll continue to be boggled through February :D

Trent Dilfer is Mark Sanchez with a lot of luck and Ray Lewis. Without that ring he's not on national TV, but selling life insurance in Tampa Bay: career pass rating of 70.2, more picks than TD's and a W/L record of 58--55.

Last edited:
I agree with him. For a #1 seed, we seem to have a glaring weakness in the secondary. Of course, with Chung back and the latest scramble lineup maybe we fix it in time, I wouldn't be surprised. Maybe some people here think we can spot top teams three touchdowns every game, i don't.

I do think the rest of our defense has taken a bad rap, our front seven is talented and deep and has played well together. Still, without a functioning secondary we're not going anywhere and commentators are supposed to report what they see.

Agreed !!! would I be shocked if we lost to Cinci or Houston...NO !!

i dont think dilfer is off base too much here. we do have one of the worst defenses ive ever seen. we are going to need our offense to come up big. 3 games..

When I first heard of this sacreligious outrage from Dilfer on Mike and Mike, I knew SOMETHING had to be done. In fact I knew EXACTLY what had to be done. So I made the call. What call you ask. I made the call to Atlanta.

C'mon, are you telling me you have to ask who I was calling in Atlanta. God, you're dense this morning. I was calling Rodney, of course. Yes.... Rodney Harrison. Who else.

WHY am I calling Rodney? That should be clear from the outset, but since you are a little slow today, I called him because he has it. He has it right in the vault where he has kept it since he retired. He promised me he'd be sending up today. and it should arrive just in time for the Tuesday Press Conferences

Why do you have still have that quissical look on your face? If you have a question just come out and say it.

WHAT is "it"? You mean YOU don't know what "it" is??? THE CARD, dummy The Card. The basic fundamental aspect that has formed the core of the BB Patriots ever since Pro Football Weekly declared in the fateful spring of 2001 that our beloved Patriots were the LEAST likely team to make to a superbowl in the next 5 years in the LEAGUE.

The Card. The thing that propelled this franchise to 3 superbowls wins, 4 superbowl appearences, 5 AFCCGs 9 AFCE division crowns, and 11 consecutive winning seasons'

The Card - the driving force behind all this success, and something that has been missing for far too long, and now its time it should be brought back. And Rodney agrees with me.

The Lack of Respect Card

Rodney LOVED the "lack of respect card" and took it with him when he retired....and there it has sat for many years while we basked in the "respectibility and honor" that had defined a decade of excellence. But, NOW it is time to take the card out again Now is the time to embrace the hate. Accept the negativity. Wallow in the questions

NOW is the time to rise up as a nation possessed and declare for all who may listen "You don't respect my team......and I DON'T CARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!! It will only make the eventual winning THAT much sweeter.

No my friends when "the card" arrives tomorrow, everything will change. Attitudes, Tempers, Demeanors. We will practise harder. Focus Harder. Prepare Harder. LET them underestimate our defense. LET them demean our record. LET them minimize our chances. TELL us again about the Ravens. I want to hear more about last year's Jets game. STEEL MY RESOLVE. I don't care, for I.....now have.......THE CARD!!!!!!!!

Hey Ken .. Looks like Off the Grid hacked your account ... :)

Last edited:

The Lack of Respect Card

You know, there are lots of medications you can take when you feel like that. :)

But, I do agree with you.

Trent Dilfer is saying this because he's jealous of the Great Tom Brady. He mad Brady was supposedly or expected to be Dilfer 2.0 and instead Brady turned out to be one of, if not THE BEST QB in history, dragging this team along to wins, though I will credit the defense as well. D is lame but it's very dependable, no worse than the other top 5 teams, except Baltimore and SF.

You should see Dilfer when he has to admit to Brady's greatness, he nearly about every time brings up Aaron Rodgers and then turn the topic into an Rodgers MVP discussion... much like jealousy and blind hate than it is seeing actual flaws. He's no better than Tom Jackson.

Trent Dilfer is saying this because he's jealous of the Great Tom Brady. He mad Brady was supposedly or expected to be Dilfer 2.0 and instead Brady turned out to be one of, if not THE BEST QB in history, dragging this team along to wins, though I will credit the defense as well. D is lame but it's very dependable, no worse than the other top 5 teams, except Baltimore and SF.

You should see Dilfer when he has to admit to Brady's greatness, he nearly about every time brings up Aaron Rodgers and then turn the topic into an Rodgers MVP discussion... much like jealousy and blind hate than it is seeing actual flaws. He's no better than Tom Jackson.

Trent Dilfer is saying this because the Patriots defense sucks.

Trent Dilfer is saying this because the Patriots defense sucks.

So does the Packers, so does the Saints, i'm sure he says the same about them.

I guess it will be Cincy vs detroit in the SB

So does the Packers, so does the Saints, i'm sure he says the same about them.

I guess it will be Cincy vs detroit in the SB

Right or wrong, true or false, people consider the Patriots defense to be far worse. I'm not going to get into strength of schedule, coaching, talent, etc..., because it's Dilfer's opinion being discussed, but his whole point was that the defense is so bad that Brady's not going to be able to carry it all the way to the Super Bowl.

Time will tell whether or not he's right, and I think his answer was poorly thought out because of the state of the AFC contenders, but his comments are rooted in how bad he thinks the defense is. Given how he won his ring, this shouldn't be surprising to anyone.

Right or wrong, true or false, people consider the Patriots defense to be far worse. I'm not going to get into strength of schedule, coaching, talent, etc..., because it's Dilfer's opinion being discussed, but his whole point was that the defense is so bad that Brady's not going to be able to carry it all the way to the Super Bowl.

Time will tell whether or not he's right, and I think his answer was poorly thought out because of the state of the AFC contenders, but his comments are rooted in how bad he thinks the defense is. Given how he won his ring, this shouldn't be surprising to anyone.

If your point is that it wasn't thought out and meaningless as such then i agree, if you think it has merit then i don't. I'm on record that no-one can argue this is a good defense but given the state of football and how good the Patriots offense is i don't see how they can be written off. I would put their chance of winning the SB at around 20% and that only because of Belichik, Brady, and the offense, but considering the way NFL play-offs have gone the past decade I think writing any team off is pretty much folly. I have done so myself for the exact same reason and was dead wrong when the Colts won the SB with the worst defense in the league. There are too many examples of teams rising up for the tournament for anyone to make definitive statements about how they will go, and Dilfer was an idiot to do so. Disappointing as i have always considered him one of the more thoughtful analysts out there.

Last edited:

Leave it to the Douche:eek:

The top three offenses also had the "worst" passing defenses.

This means only two things

It's the greatest coincidence in NFL history.

Having a great pass offense meant a complimetary pass defense that produced wins and made yardage immaterial.

Why not comment of the correlation between winning teams and the size of their unicorn herds?

On Mike and Mike they played a bite from Dilfer saying:

(paraphrasing)

This is one of the few #1 seeds hes ever seen that he cant picture to get to the superbowl.

He's lost for words at how they get here.

Cant put finger on it/Mind is boggled.

They're not good enough team to get to superbowl.

They get down by a lot vs bad teams and now will play another team who will go for jugular and put this team away.

Finally, he wont be surprised if another one and done playoffs.

Sooo how quickly can BB and the gang use this to fuel the team? :p

(I know it's playoff time and there should be no need for 'extra motivation' but can't hurt right?)

I listened to it and those comments weren't the ones that bothered me. It was his comment about Brady that, " yeah but he's throwing to wide open receivers." He added that it's the schemes and that won't happen in the playoffs and Brady isn't threading the needle......
Since when is finding the open receiver a liability???

If your point is that it wasn't thought out and meaningless as such then i agree, if you think it has merit then i don't. I'm on record that no-one can argue this is a good defense but given the state of football and how good the Patriots offense is i don't see how they can be written off. I would put their chance of winning the SB at around 20% and that only because of Belichik, Brady, and the offense, but considering the way NFL play-offs have gone the past decade I think writing any team off is pretty much folly. I have done so myself for the exact same reason and was dead wrong when the Colts won the SB with the worst defense in the league. There are too many examples of teams rising up for the tournament for anyone to make definitive statements about how they will go, and Dilfer was an idiot to do so. Disappointing as i have always considered him one of the more thoughtful analysts out there.

It definitely has merit. There's no question about that. How much merit is the question, because I do think he went over-the-top and undercut the basic point as a result.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back