PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bulletin Board Material: Dilfer goes too far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trent Dilfer is saying this because the Patriots defense sucks.

The Pats defense sucks so bad that they helped this team to a 13-3 record.. Mainly by forcing turnovers in key situations to kick start the offense..

Dilfer is a tool.

Dilfer knows how important a good defense is. Where would he be if not for hisd efense?

If I wasn't a Pats fan i honestly wouldn't have much reason to believe in this team other than Brady/BB, and it's been a while since that factor has actually mattered in the playoffs. Typically in january you rely on a solid run game and defense, 2 areas where we have not been consistent whatsoever and at many times weak. Typically you can't rely on a high powered pass attack, the one area the team excels. The team is not classically built for a championship run. And we haven't beaten a winning team all season long.

That said, anything can happen in this league especially when you have HFA and the advantage the Pats have enjoyed at Gillette ever since the stadium opened. Also because there is no juggernaut in this league and it's not uncommon for even wild card teams who finish with mediocre records to go the distance. Let's hope for the best but let's not act like these analysts have no business having lesser expectations for this team.

I actually saw Dilfer speaking about the Patriots a month or so back while this streak started and he echoed simliar doubts. I wanted to get angry because like most of you I love these guys and want them to get the credit but I really couldn't disagree with anything he said.

Last edited:
I know it strikes some people in the gut, however, it is a defensible position to believe the Patriots will have trouble against top caliber opponents. Dilfer is probably taking it a bit too far -- nooo, a mediot taking his opinion too far? -- but concern due to our D and our O's slow starts is, again, a fair argument.

The very good news is in the results. The Patriots lost 3 games this year: 1 where they lost a big lead in the 4th quarter, 1 where they lost a small lead late in the 4th quarter, and n the worst loss of the season where the Patriots played their very worst offensive game that was on the road against arguably the best team in the AFC.......we were down 1 score in the middle of the third quarter and 1 score with almost 3 minutes to go in the game. IF the offense -- a highly proven highly potent offense -- had played with just a modest amount of improvement, we had a good shot at winning that game.

The 2011 New England Patriots have proven they can and most likely should win any game they play. The entire season's results clearly show that. This is why those who are almost certain the Patriots will go nowhere are just as likely wrong.

Stats are for losers. Since the Pats started winning SBs, that has been the motto for most Pats fans, players and the team in general. The only thing that matters is where they rank in the standings and how they play in the post season. Wild card teams win the SB fakrissakes! Ask the Jets how much they're enjoying their 5th-ranked defense or how the Panthers are loving being the 3d-best rushing offense. Gotta have that ground game to win in the post-season, right?

On Mike and Mike they played a bite from Dilfer saying:

(paraphrasing)

This is one of the few #1 seeds hes ever seen that he cant picture to get to the superbowl.

He's lost for words at how they get here.

Cant put finger on it/Mind is boggled.

They're not good enough team to get to superbowl.

They get down by a lot vs bad teams and now will play another team who will go for jugular and put this team away.

Finally, he wont be surprised if another one and done playoffs.

Sooo how quickly can BB and the gang use this to fuel the team? :p

(I know it's playoff time and there should be no need for 'extra motivation' but can't hurt right?)

IF they have to use "Bulletin Board Material" as a way to try and get psyched up for a playoff run they are in a world of trouble.

Pretty surprised no one is talking about the Green Bay defense...

Pretty surprised no one is talking about the Green Bay defense...

well as was stated, they did win a sb last year

pats haven't won a playoff game since 2007 right?

it's a what have you done for me lately league (and life)

I def don't knock Dilfer for his opinion. He has every right to express what he wants. The Pats can't really argue when the defense has given up a lot of big plays against average QBs. The annoyance I find is is his double standard analysis. Oh well. It doesn't impact the play on the field, and the Pats can shut him, Shaug., Cris Carter and the rest of the talking heads up completely by dominating the AFC.

Last edited:
it's because they are 15-1 and won a SB last year

This makes no sense. Did they have the worst defense in the league last year? As I recall, they had a very good defense, so still not clear why they are getting a pass from the criticism.

This makes no sense. Did they have the worst defense in the league last year? As I recall, they had a very good defense, so still not clear why they are getting a pass from the criticism.

Of course. However, they are the new media darling.

They've got a better record than anyone else in the NFL, and they played a harder schedule than the Patriots. They've already beaten the Saints, Bears (twice, once w/Cutler), Falcons, Lions (twice) and Giants.

The training given by Disney Sports has never been more transparent. It's amazing how many things business gets in the way of.

It definitely has merit. There's no question about that. How much merit is the question, because I do think he went over-the-top and undercut the basic point as a result.

This makes no sense, you say it was thought out poorly and over the top yet it still has merit. If it has any merit then that applies equally to GB and NO because all three defenses are mediocre, not just NE's. You can't say it has merit because NE's defense sucks but not apply the same standard to the pother teams, that's just BS.

They've got a better record than anyone else in the NFL, and they played a harder schedule than the Patriots. They've already beaten the Saints, Bears (twice, once w/Cutler), Falcons, Lions (twice) and Giants.

The Bears suck and the other 3 are mediocre at best, i'm not sure what your point is because those are not good teams.

This makes no sense, you say it was thought out poorly and over the top yet it still has merit. If it has any merit then that applies equally to GB and NO because all three defenses are mediocre, not just NE's. You can't say it has merit because NE's defense sucks but not apply the same standard to the pother teams, that's just BS.

I assume you know this is nonsense and are just trolling, so I'll just leave it at at that.

The Bears suck and the other 3 are mediocre at best, i'm not sure what your point is because those are not good teams.

Thank you for verifying that you were trolling by following up with this post.

I assume you know this is nonsense and are just trolling, so I'll just leave it at at that.

Get serious, you are actually trying to say that his poorly thought out over the top opinion has merit but refuse to say what that merit is other than that you agree with him. if there's a troll it is you, not me, the Felger contrarian act wears really thin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes