PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Buffalo Post Game Thoughts (Merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: My postgame thoughts

3rd and long is not our big problem by a long stretch.. Buffalo only converted 40% of their third down.

HOWEVER, they were 2 for 2 in the red zone. That is the one stat we should be worried about.

Our problem in the 1st half was the offense! The Defense was 4-4 stopping Buffalo on the 1st 4 Buffalo 3rd downs. Also add Brady's pick six!

Buffalo's no huddle offense forced the Patriots coaches to choose either a run defense (3-4) or pass defense (4-3 or 4-2-5 Nickel). In either pass defenses the DE's were Banta-Cain and Burgess, neither of which can stop the run. Both were split wide of the OT to give them better angles at the QB for the pass rush. I would much rather see Green, Wilfork, Warren and Ninkovich as the 4 DL with Banta-Cain and Burgess as situational pass rushers.

However the "Real" reason we almost lost the game was because we were the "Boston" Patriots last night and played like them!

Re: Everyone Relax

it wasn't great but it's only the first game. they can definitely improve.

another thing is that the bills were only 4-10 on third downs. that was a major problem for us last year.

we definitely should have converted on both of those fourth downs.

Well, the Bills converted several key 3rd downs, especially on the long 4th Quarter drive that should have sealed victory for them.
The 3rd and 15 they converted I think was following penalty on a 3rd and 5th they also had converted. I don't feel remotely confident in this Defense's ability to get off the field on 3rd Down. I don't know if it is the players, the scheme, the execution - whatever - but I have not seen us make serious stops on 3rd Down since pre-AFCCG implosion vs. Indy.
I think the younger players, improved stamina, etc. may make this a formidable D in December that will not have these issues, but since we are talking about Week 1, I figured I'd pile on.

Great post. Can't disagree with much, which is unusual. Maroney was OK in first half, but I don't expect much from him. I think we should use him on every kickoff/punt return he is great in the open field. Why risk losing Welker to injury, as he is so much more productive member of our offense? I'd much rather lose Maroney to injury, as he pretty much is useless anyway.

Edit: That said, in Bill we Trust.

Last edited:
Re: Thoughts on the Game

The fumble by the bills late in the 4th quarter, was one of the patriot holding the bills player up preventing him from going down and another patriot player came in and ripped the ball out?

Last edited:

I think both lines have work to do

Why would you strongly disagree that our run was 'solid' when it allowed 17 rushes for 65 yds for a 3.8ypc from RBs?
What were you expecting?

I think it's pretty clear that the same people who normally get drunk on the Koolaid are continuing to do so, and that those of us who take less of a homer approach saw the game differently.

We saw the game the same way that the Patriots players apparently did, given their comments since the end of the game. We saw the game the same way that Dale & Holley did, given their comments on WEEI this morning. We saw the game the same way that fans watching and posting on other boards did.

You apparently saw a display of excellence. Most people didn't.

I went to bed not long after my OP, and have just read through everyone's comments. So let me clarify a few things:

1. As I mentioned, I missed the first half of the game. I'm glad I did, from other's comments. It sounds like we stunk, and that's obviously not a good thing. I'm not trying to whitewash bad performances by the OL, the DL, and TB. We have a lot of work to do, no doubt about it.

2. With that in mind, I think this kind of win is much better for this time at this point in time than a blowout. The rust showed early on, and it seemed it took getting our backs up against a wall to finally get this team to do a gut check and come out firing on all cylinders the last 5 minutes of the game.

3. Yes, we won't beat the Steelers playing like we did tonight. Though we might have beaten the Steelers who showed up last Thursday night. They didn't look very good either. But they still came out with a win, as did Indy, as did we. Good teams win when they play badly. We needed that.

4. My expectations for the defense were not that high going into the game. Given that Seymour's trade was a distraction all week and the DL will take a game or 2 to adjust to his loss, and the unexpected loss of Mayo early in the game, I thought the defense did ok overall, at least in the 2nd half.

5. Everyone expected the offense to come out firing like vintage 2007. But we didn't look that great in the preseason, and up to the last 2 possessions the offense looked poor (poor is actually being kind) tonight. Brady looked tentative, the OL was poor, the offensive playcalling was bad, we gave up on the running game too soon, and we need productivity from more than 2 WRs. Missed 3rd downs, 4th downs, and 2 point conversions, with sloppy looking play. BUT the last 2 serious looked like vintage Brady and vintage Pats, Watson played his best game as a Pat, and the line seemed to play better.

Bottom line is I'm not whitewashing the fact that we played more poorly than expected and have a ton of work to do, but I think that pulling out this kind of win may be better for the team in the long run than a dominant opening statement. We lost 31-0 to open 2003 and became a stiffling defense and clutch offensive team that won the SB. We started 2007 as the most dominant team in history but couldn't finish.

Great points that really nail it. Ignore the nitpickers and naysayers who can't ever see the big picture because they are so focused on every play not working. The sad fact is they not only drag the team and the eperience down here every year since 2005, they crash the board on game days with their play by play kneejerk reactions. Style points mean nothing. And teams who peak early usually fade down the stretch. This team now knows nothing is going to be handed to them and it's not going to be over until they say it's over.

Well, the Bills converted several key 3rd downs, especially on the long 4th Quarter drive that should have sealed victory for them.
The 3rd and 15 they converted I think was following penalty on a 3rd and 5th they also had converted. I don't feel remotely confident in this Defense's ability to get off the field on 3rd Down. I don't know if it is the players, the scheme, the execution - whatever - but I have not seen us make serious stops on 3rd Down since pre-AFCCG implosion vs. Indy.
I think the younger players, improved stamina, etc. may make this a formidable D in December that will not have these issues, but since we are talking about Week 1, I figured I'd pile on.

The defense hasn't made any serious 3rd down stops? What do you think the last play of the game was? If the Bills were 4-10 on third down, where were the "several" exactly? Are you saying that in a 1 point game, stopping 6 3rd downs isn't important?

How does a team go 16-0 in a full season and never stop an important 3rd down conversion? How does a team go 11-5 and never make an important 3rd down stop?

Great points that really nail it. Ignore the nitpickers and naysayers who can't ever see the big picture because they are so focused on every play not working. The sad fact is they not only drag the team and the eperience down here every year since 2005, they crash the board on game days with their play by play kneejerk reactions. Style points mean nothing. And teams who peak early usually fade down the stretch. This team now knows nothing is going to be handed to them and it's not going to be over until they say it's over.

Ty Warren: nitpicker and naysayer

Ty Warren [stats] seemed to have the best handle on what to make of last night’s win.

“I think we pulled it out by the skin of our teeth, but at the same time, a win is a win,” he said. “Nobody is that blind to say it wasn’t mistake-free. There were a lot of mistakes in the game for us defensively with penalties and some communication problems.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1197601&format=&page=2&listingType=pats#articleFull

Last edited:

The 2 bogus roughing the passer penalties against the Pats were huge, both were bs calls. Both were huge lifts for the bills and downers for the Pats, team did an excellent job of regrouping and continuing to fight.

This game looked to me a lot more like the instance of a team not entirely in sync yet than a bad team

That's obviously the case with the offense, we don't really know what we have with the defense yet - although the secondary definately looks improved.

Buffalo Super-long Thoughts

Hello again, I used to bore people here a few years ago and decided to try it once more. Please feel free to print this off and use it later if you suffer from insomnia.

We all know how exciting that game was. I went from having no doubt it was a win with 8 minutes to go to thinking an L was about to put thrown up 3 minutes later. Gifts like that are always to be cherished.

* I have to admit to feeling a bit self-satisfied when Maroney was the best runner and Watson the best receiving TE. Both guys have gotten far more guff than they deserved and I've never really wavered in my belief in them.

Of course, it is only week one so they have plenty of time to muck it all up or get injured again, but I'll enjoy it for a week.

* Maroney did have one really terrible block on a sideline Welker pass. It was interesting because with the spacing of the OL, all he really had to do was run up into the gap and stand there. It would have forced the DE/LB (I don't remember who it was) to run right over him to get to the QB. Instead, he lunged towards the defender allowing for a couple things.

1) It gave an opening between Mankins and Koppen.
2) Maroney was now moving away from Brady, leaving him susceptible to a swim and toss move, which is precisely what the defender did.

That Brady was able to get that ball away with Schoebel coming around the end and another guy running right at him was remarkable.

* Watching Brady at anything less than perfect was really quite strange. Despite the exemplary stats, he had one of the worst games I've seen from him in a while. Aside from a handful of overthrows, he had a number of plays where a better throw would have gotten an extra 5-15 yac. One play that stood out was a 4 yard pass to Moss. The defender was coming from behind and to Moss' right (he was on the right side of the field, so the defender was coming from the sideline) and the middle of the field was vacant. A pass leading Moss towards the middle gets an easy 10 and probably 15. Instead, Moss has to stop and reach up, giving the DB time to make a nice little pop.

Of course, he was all Brady on the final two drives. The second Watson TD was incredible. Threaded between two defenders, Brady had about 5 cubic feet of space to work with and he absolutely nailed it. Great catch as well, seeing as how Watson had to jump and twist to get in position to catch it.

* I made a complete shot in the dark prediction about Galloway that proved completely baseless. Now the biggest "surprise" is what the hell he offers to this offense. As far as I can tell he had one ball tossed in his direction that was essentially a throwaway. Color me unimpressed.

* The prediction I felt certain about was regarding the defense. They always take time to gel. We always wonder about them for a month or two and then most often they come alive at the end of the year. This year will be no different and people need to adjust their expectations a little. This team is running a base 4-3 with tons of new contrtibutors all getting a feel for each other. To expect them to be dominant immediately is not realistic.

Despite their struggles, the allowed 17 offensive points even though Buffalo kept getting the ball in good field position after missed 4th downs and a missed FG.

I predicted Buffalo to score 13 points not because I expected much better performance but because I expected the offense to make Buffalo one dimensional. It happened, but a bit later than I thought.

* Some issues to keep an eye on with the defense are pass rush (obviously) and what Buffalo did awesome at yesterday, play recognition. NE rushers got sucked in on nearly every screen and rarely did the MLB force the receiver back to the middle. By contrast, you could see Buffalo defenders racing towards the receiver before Brady even turned to pitch the ball.

* Interesting that NE went 4-3 considering how poorly Buffalo has handled 3-4 teams of late.

* One more thing on the defense, I never felt Buffalo was as bad as people said. It seemed general consensus on Edwards was that he is a JAG at best, but I've always been impressed with him. Since I didn't watch a snap of Buffalo last year I thought he must have fallen off, but from what I saw last night he is still the quality guy I thought he was in 2007. And Buffalo did a nice job of exploiting NE's WR coverages by going underneath and screening. Again, the problem was recognition and tackling, and I expect both to improve.

* After the bull**** RTP on Wilfork, did anyone notice that he spent the next couple plays running around in a "I didn't touch him" pose?

* I have to admit, I hate the look of the old uni's. Can't stand it. When I see them I expect the team to play poorly. I almost think the uniforms are a cause of NE's struggles last night. Almost.

* Gruden felt that AD's RTP was ticky tack, but I expected flag because the whistle had blown before AD even started his tackle. The Wilfork one was ridiculous, though. Refs need to understand the laws of physics and how a retreating QB is always going to be hit "low". He wasn't even hit that low, anyway, as it started at Edwards' hip and slid down. Again, because of physics.

* Perhaps that really was Todd Light out there trying to block Schoebel? I doubt he could have done much worse.

* As late as with 6 minutes left, I had no doubt NE would win. Buffalo's defense was gassed and a NE TD was all but preordained. I expected NE to hold Buffalo to a FG and drive down to tie it at 20, putting pressure on Buffalo for the first time all night. When Buffalo ran yet another successful screen play and crossed the line, I have to admit to saying, "now they've got a 5% chance of winning... at best."

* Back to the defense once more. In 2003 NE allowed 24 offensive points to a Buffalo offense that would prove inept by midseason. In 2004 they allowed 24 points to Indy despite getting two Edge fumbles inside the 20. IIRC, the late game sack by Willie was the only one all night. Frankly, Indy should have put a 40 sopt on the board as easy as they moved the ball. In both seasons they had terrible days, blowing a 31-10 lead against Indy in 7 minutes and allowing 20+ points to a horrible Texan team in 2003. In 2004 they blew an 11 point lead to AJ Feeley's 4-12 Dolphins, and that was late in the season when things should be clicking.

Even good teams have bad days. Feel free to formulate question marks, but forming any conclusions after one game is a fool's errand.

* I thought Vollmer looked very good when he was out there, even when matched up against Schoebel 1:1. Does anyone else read something into his replacing Light at times?

* Brady's pressers are always a treat. He is very eloquant and I like how he always mentions his own mistakes, but only good plays by other teammates. I don't get how anyone could listen to him and think he is the arrogant SOB opposing fans accuse him of being.

All told, despite the concerns on the defense, I place the blame for yesterday's near-loss squarely on the offense. Four drives inside the 40 and another inside the 5 ended up netting 6 points. The defense makes a nice stop after Brady and Co. tie it up and then they immediately blow the momentum with a pick 6. A couple other drives ended with dropped balls and missed passes. A reasonable offensive performance and NE is leading that game 20-7 at halftime and the final score looks quite a bit closer to the 38-14 blowouts NE put up in early 2007.

I welcome your thoughts. Thanks for reading this whole thing. :blahblah::sleeping:

This will be the thread for all post game reactions from the Buffalo win

Where is the thread that we picked the guy we believed would bust out with a big night?

I picked Watson :eek:

I don't disagree with anything he said nor do I consider that nitpicking or naysaying. I think you know the difference. Loved the Seymour comment early on last night, too. I know you can't see it but in many ways you are becoming one of the things you hate.

1.) I "can't" see it because it's not true. I've disagreed with BB, the Patriots, and the majority of this board at times over the years, and I expect I'll continue to do so (what I did find was that trolls and a small group of posters had dramatically lessened my enjoyment of the board and had me with a shorter fuse regarding folly, so I started using the ignore function much more and I've been much happier as a result. But I've never hated calling out people who had clownish posts, and I never will).

2.) From Maroney, to Watson, to Spygate, to Seymour, I call it as I see it, and I defend my position. Interestingly, since you've been such a stalwart of WEEI, both Dale & Holley agree with me on the Seymour deal.

3.) As for the difference regarding Warren, there is none.

4.) If you want to find change in a poster, and someone who's "becoming one of the things you hate", look to yourself.

OK guys - let's settle down and try and stay on topic in a thread that after I've merged them is in need of getting back on track.

Re: Buffalo Super-long Thoughts

Hello again, I used to bore people here a few years ago and decided to try it once more. Please feel free to print this off and use it later if you suffer from insomnia.

We all know how exciting that game was. I went from having no doubt it was a win with 8 minutes to go to thinking an L was about to put thrown up 3 minutes later. Gifts like that are always to be cherished.

* I have to admit to feeling a bit self-satisfied when Maroney was the best runner and Watson the best receiving TE. Both guys have gotten far more guff than they deserved and I've never really wavered in my belief in them.

Of course, it is only week one so they have plenty of time to muck it all up or get injured again, but I'll enjoy it for a week.

* Maroney did have one really terrible block on a sideline Welker pass. It was interesting because with the spacing of the OL, all he really had to do was run up into the gap and stand there. It would have forced the DE/LB (I don't remember who it was) to run right over him to get to the QB. Instead, he lunged towards the defender allowing for a couple things.

1) It gave an opening between Mankins and Koppen.
2) Maroney was now moving away from Brady, leaving him susceptible to a swim and toss move, which is precisely what the defender did.

That Brady was able to get that ball away with Schoebel coming around the end and another guy running right at him was remarkable.

* Watching Brady at anything less than perfect was really quite strange. Despite the exemplary stats, he had one of the worst games I've seen from him in a while. Aside from a handful of overthrows, he had a number of plays where a better throw would have gotten an extra 5-15 yac. One play that stood out was a 4 yard pass to Moss. The defender was coming from behind and to Moss' right (he was on the right side of the field, so the defender was coming from the sideline) and the middle of the field was vacant. A pass leading Moss towards the middle gets an easy 10 and probably 15. Instead, Moss has to stop and reach up, giving the DB time to make a nice little pop.

Of course, he was all Brady on the final two drives. The second Watson TD was incredible. Threaded between two defenders, Brady had about 5 cubic feet of space to work with and he absolutely nailed it. Great catch as well, seeing as how Watson had to jump and twist to get in position to catch it.

* I made a complete shot in the dark prediction about Galloway that proved completely baseless. Now the biggest "surprise" is what the hell he offers to this offense. As far as I can tell he had one ball tossed in his direction that was essentially a throwaway. Color me unimpressed.

* The prediction I felt certain about was regarding the defense. They always take time to gel. We always wonder about them for a month or two and then most often they come alive at the end of the year. This year will be no different and people need to adjust their expectations a little. This team is running a base 4-3 with tons of new contrtibutors all getting a feel for each other. To expect them to be dominant immediately is not realistic.

Despite their struggles, the allowed 17 offensive points even though Buffalo kept getting the ball in good field position after missed 4th downs and a missed FG.

I predicted Buffalo to score 13 points not because I expected much better performance but because I expected the offense to make Buffalo one dimensional. It happened, but a bit later than I thought.

* Some issues to keep an eye on with the defense are pass rush (obviously) and what Buffalo did awesome at yesterday, play recognition. NE rushers got sucked in on nearly every screen and rarely did the MLB force the receiver back to the middle. By contrast, you could see Buffalo defenders racing towards the receiver before Brady even turned to pitch the ball.

* Interesting that NE went 4-3 considering how poorly Buffalo has handled 3-4 teams of late.

* One more thing on the defense, I never felt Buffalo was as bad as people said. It seemed general consensus on Edwards was that he is a JAG at best, but I've always been impressed with him. Since I didn't watch a snap of Buffalo last year I thought he must have fallen off, but from what I saw last night he is still the quality guy I thought he was in 2007. And Buffalo did a nice job of exploiting NE's WR coverages by going underneath and screening. Again, the problem was recognition and tackling, and I expect both to improve.

* After the bull**** RTP on Wilfork, did anyone notice that he spent the next couple plays running around in a "I didn't touch him" pose?

* I have to admit, I hate the look of the old uni's. Can't stand it. When I see them I expect the team to play poorly. I almost think the uniforms are a cause of NE's struggles last night. Almost.

* Gruden felt that AD's RTP was ticky tack, but I expected flag because the whistle had blown before AD even started his tackle. The Wilfork one was ridiculous, though. Refs need to understand the laws of physics and how a retreating QB is always going to be hit "low". He wasn't even hit that low, anyway, as it started at Edwards' hip and slid down. Again, because of physics.

* Perhaps that really was Todd Light out there trying to block Schoebel? I doubt he could have done much worse.

* As late as with 6 minutes left, I had no doubt NE would win. Buffalo's defense was gassed and a NE TD was all but preordained. I expected NE to hold Buffalo to a FG and drive down to tie it at 20, putting pressure on Buffalo for the first time all night. When Buffalo ran yet another successful screen play and crossed the line, I have to admit to saying, "now they've got a 5% chance of winning... at best."

* Back to the defense once more. In 2003 NE allowed 24 offensive points to a Buffalo offense that would prove inept by midseason. In 2004 they allowed 24 points to Indy despite getting two Edge fumbles inside the 20. IIRC, the late game sack by Willie was the only one all night. Frankly, Indy should have put a 40 sopt on the board as easy as they moved the ball. In both seasons they had terrible days, blowing a 31-10 lead against Indy in 7 minutes and allowing 20+ points to a horrible Texan team in 2003. In 2004 they blew an 11 point lead to AJ Feeley's 4-12 Dolphins, and that was late in the season when things should be clicking.

Even good teams have bad days. Feel free to formulate question marks, but forming any conclusions after one game is a fool's errand.

* I thought Vollmer looked very good when he was out there, even when matched up against Schoebel 1:1. Does anyone else read something into his replacing Light at times?

* Brady's pressers are always a treat. He is very eloquant and I like how he always mentions his own mistakes, but only good plays by other teammates. I don't get how anyone could listen to him and think he is the arrogant SOB opposing fans accuse him of being.

All told, despite the concerns on the defense, I place the blame for yesterday's near-loss squarely on the offense. Four drives inside the 40 and another inside the 5 ended up netting 6 points. The defense makes a nice stop after Brady and Co. tie it up and then they immediately blow the momentum with a pick 6. A couple other drives ended with dropped balls and missed passes. A reasonable offensive performance and NE is leading that game 20-7 at halftime and the final score looks quite a bit closer to the 38-14 blowouts NE put up in early 2007.

I welcome your thoughts. Thanks for reading this whole thing. :blahblah::sleeping:

This was a well thought out post - lots of good opinion, so feel free to bore us more often :cool:

A win is a win but I never want it that close against the Bills.

Just remember that Buffalo shouldn't have even been in the Red Zone the last time around without that B.S. roughing the passer call on A.D.

Are there any Bills fans out there lurking that would like to give us their thoughts on the game? If you are, quit lurking and post. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to read it.

I am. Matter of fact I'm a HUGE Bills' fan. I just pulled up your message board for the same reason, to see what all of your opinions were on the game. Me personally, I thought that it was an exciting game from start to finish. Of course I was hoping for a different outcome. LOL!

I can only speak for myself but as a Bills' fan I look to measure our progress against the better teams. Needless to say that the Patriots are probably at the top of that list. I feel that our future is bright and it feels good to have hope again. I like the attitude that our new young players displayed last night. Although I admire the dominance of Vince Wilfork's play and would gladly like to have him on my team, I was thrilled to see our LT Demetrius Bell get up in his grill a few times last night. Wilfork has long been a nemesis to the Bills and it was good to see that our new guy(s) aren't going to back down. As fans I think that you guys can appreciate that aspect of a fan.

Obviously we went thru alot of personnell changes this last off season and stepping into last night's game was a big unknown of what Buffalo was going to field as a team. I think we did good, real good. I was watching the pregame and it was quite humiliating to be unanimously and publicly disrepected but the icing on the cake was when Bruschi said that it was going to be a blow out. It wasn't. I'm not trying to disrespect him either but I didn't like watching and hearing that but what fan would? I do look forward to when the Patriots come to Buffalo. Regardless of the outcome it feels good to have hope again and feel like we can compete. It's been a long time coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back