PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Buffalo Post Game Thoughts (Merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Everyone Relax

I strongly disagree with regard to the quality of our run defense last night.

For those of you panicking about last night, it's only game 1 of a long season. it's better we struggle early on, work out the kinks and play our best football for the end of the year. in 2007', we were blowing teams out early on but things changed. in 07' the giants gave up 70 points in their first 3 games. even the steelers struggled to score points. buffalo is becoming a better team each year and it's nothing to be ashamed of not beating them by 20 points.

the defense needs to gel. overall, i was pretty happy with the D considering it was just game 1. also, brady was rusty early on but that offense will start to click in no time.

i think our run D was solid - giving up 90 yards to the bills. our pass D gave up 215 yards, so that needs some work. if mayo had played the whole game, it may have been different.

All that matters early on is accumulating wins - pretty or not. if we play like this in after 10 games or so then we have some reason to worry. now it's onto mike sanchez and the jets. the jets fans already smell blood in the water and think they will win the division and that's after they beat a really bad houston team.

Re: My postgame thoughts

1. Brady: I agree. I thought he looked skiddish on his first pass (an incompletion) but visibly improved and returned to form throughout the game. They were even highlighting how he planted his injured leg, and as the game progressed he planted with more confidence. I really think that he needed this one game to complete his rehab because there's nothing like facing an actual opponent at actual game speed in a game that actually matters. Preseason games were helpful, but lacked the intensity of a real game (even against the Bills).

2. WRs and TEs: Moss, Welker and Watson were great. I think the dropped passes at the beginning of the game - whether Brady or the receiver was more to blame - were just early season kinks getting worked out. If they had continued through the game, I'd be worried, but they didn't. I was disappointed that Galloway didn't get involved, but not worried about Baker's lack of involvement. Baker's play in the preseason is enough to show that he's going to be a playmaker with this team, some weeks more so than others. I was really hoping, though, that Galloway would prove to be enough of a threat to make defenses at least think twice about doubling Moss. Maybe it's still in the works, but I hope it shows up soon.

2b: Kevin Faulk with his third down play was in midseason form. Several times on third down I said to my wife "There's Kevin Faulk. He'll be getting the first down."

3.RBs: I thought that the running game was pretty good, although it was very limited by the fact that the Pats were playing from behind the entire game. I liked what I saw from Maroney and Taylor (he was hardly touched on his TD). I thought it was a good sign that the Bills bit hard on play-action once or twice, proving that the running game was at least enough of a threat to keep them worried about it. If they can maintain at least that level of production, fine, but i think they have the potential for more and greater things. Plus, I hope Brady doesn't have to attempt 56 passes every week.

4. OL: I remember years ago watching Pats games and regularly counting to four or five after the snap while Brady stood in the pocket taking his time picking his target. Last night the pocket was closing too fast around him for much of the game. This was especially frustrating because on the other side, the Pats couldn't collapse the pocket around Edwards who looked all-too-comfortable for much of the night.

5. Defense: Negatives - not enough consistent pass rush except during the last drive; too many big running plays and screens given up. Positives - The DBs (esp. the corners) already seem to be better than last year. Trent Edwards is a better than average QB and Evans and Owens are two great receivers, yet they got almost nothing done down the field. It is GREAT to have TBC back! He seemed pumped to be out there. In fact, on an individual basis, many if not most of the players seemed to be playing with great intensity, running hard, hitting hard, etc. Meriweather, Wilfork, AD, and Bodden really stood out in this regard. I hope to see the Defense gel as the season progresses. The Pats are definitely younger and faster out there, but the overall experience (in the NFL and as a team) is lower than in years past. That should change and improve as time goes on.

6: Penalties: The penalties on AD and Wilfork really ticked me off because they put a dark cloud over two great plays that really exemplify the kind of intense, hard hitting defense that we need and want to see. I don't want these guys to hesitate next time worrying that they might get penalized for physical play. Hit first and ask questions later.

7: Special Teams: Excellent all around. While the Offense and Defense seemed to struggle at times, the ST always looked solid. Maroney's KO return was inspiring. It will be great to get Slater back, too, as he's one who is consistently down the field first.

Ok... I think I've got the 10 character minimum covered...
TB146

Re: A Few Last Thoughts

I agree. All things considered, the D did a creditable job, especially losing their signal-caller halfway through the first quarter.

This is just mg straddling his fence. We'll be fine but...I DONT LIKE IT...so if we're not I told you so...and if we are that's what I said all along.

I strongly disagree with regard to the quality of our run defense last night.

it wasn't great but it's only the first game. they can definitely improve.

another thing is that the bills were only 4-10 on third downs. that was a major problem for us last year.

we definitely should have converted on both of those fourth downs.

The few times they brought Vollmer onto the field, it was as an extra OL, with Light or Kaczur declaring as eligible TE. I think we will see this again on Sunday. Vollmer did fine except for the kicking penalty.

5) Our front seven played our best players against a rookie line and weak gimicky offense, and absent a bonehead gift may have lost the game, but perhaps we need to learn to believe that if the defense gives up less than 20, it is all on the offense. That approach can get us to the playoffs but not a Super Bowl win.

Evidently, you don't deem Jerod Mayo as one of our best defensive players.

Last edited:

Call it what you will. I think the defense last night would have trouble winning two playoff games. Do you disagree.

Also, I have made it clear that I expect us to win. We have a good enough team to win, if the defense develops over the season.

As in 2005 and 2006, it is not a matter of "I told you so". Belichick makes analyses in the beginning of the year and he takes his risks. Even before the season, some of us don't like the risks taken. If we don't win, there is always looking back. I think it is more reasonable when analysis has been made BEFORE the season.

I think that trading Seymour is a great (and unnecessary) risk, as well as the lack of depth at QB and ILB. I think the 2009 team would be better with Seymour, a veteran QB and a veteran ILB added to the team istead of Alexander, Connolly and Ninkovich. Do you disagree?

This is just mg straddling his fence. We'll be fine but...I DONT LIKE IT...so if we're not I told you so...and if we are that's what I said all along.

Mayo was injured at 4:11 in the 1st...Up to that time the D had given up 35 yards in 2 series (-2, 37). With Mayo gone, the 2nd drive continues with...short pass, run short pass ...TD.
AD becomes an ILB in Mayo's absence, and, IMO, the OLBs get abused in coverage.
The two questionable penalties also had an impact. Though both flags were thrown on first down, the Wilfork call was a 1st and 20 play from Buff 11. Fifteen yards and a first gave them breathing room. The AD flag was after a sack of 10 yards pushing Buff back to the NE 36. Instead, 1st and 10 from NE 21.

My point being, the D missed Mayo because LB coverage was affected, Brady gave Buff 7 and two highly questionable calls changed the dynamic of the game. Though the D wasn't stellar giving up 17 points, with Mayo involved, the D should evolve.
Next week, a Mayo-free game will be a huge problem because the OLB can not contain Jones speed. My guess is BB will stack the box and make Sanchez win the game with his arm.

Frankie, is that you?

Re: Game Thoughts

The offense wasn't 2007 - esque but don't overlook the fact that they controlled the clock. TOP was heavy in our favor and with our defense this season we'll need more of this especially when playing the Manning's and Brees's of the league. While this defense isn't what we've had, we need to put some faith in it rather than simply trying to out-gun opponents. Also it once again proved we don't necessarily need to run the ball well to chew up time. Aside from the INT and the turnover-on-downs I don't think it's a bad overall performance. Also Brady and Welker stilll aren't in sync. Not a great performance necessarily, but it got the job done tonight.

Can't say enough about the Special teams tonight. Buffalo has some of the better ST in all units and they didn't cause a single problem today. I absolutely agree we will have to improve to beat the Steelers and Giants of the league. But to me this was a 2001 type all-around team win tonight, didn't look great on offense or defense but it was just good enough. Anchored by outstanding special teams.

Are you just saying what many of us have been saying for months (years actually): we need better depth an ILB.

Mayo was injured at 4:11 in the 1st...Up to that time the D had given up 35 yards in 2 series (-2, 37). With Mayo gone, the 2nd drive continues with...short pass, run short pass ...TD.
AD becomes an ILB in Mayo's absence, and, IMO, the OLBs get abused in coverage.
The two questionable penalties also had an impact. Though both flags were thrown on first down, the Wilfork call was a 1st and 20 play from Buff 11. Fifteen yards and a first gave them breathing room. The AD flag was after a sack of 10 yards pushing Buff back to the NE 36. Instead, 1st and 10 from NE 21.

My point being, the D missed Mayo because LB coverage was affected, Brady gave Buff 7 and two highly questionable calls changed the dynamic of the game. Though the D wasn't stellar giving up 17 points, with Mayo involved, the D should evolve.
Next week, a Mayo-free game will be a huge problem because the OLB can not contain Jones speed. My guess is BB will stack the box and make Sanchez win the game with his arm.

Call it what you will. I think the defense last night would have trouble winning two playoff games. Do you disagree.

Also, I have made it clear that I expect us to win. We have a good enough team to win, if the defense develops over the season.

As in 2005 and 2006, it is not a matter of "I told you so". Belichick makes analyses in the beginning of the year and he takes his risks. Even before the season, some of us don't like the risks taken. If we don't win, there is always looking back. I think it is more reasonable when analysis has been made BEFORE the season.

I think that trading Seymour is a great (and unnecessary) risk, as well as the lack of depth at QB and ILB. I think the 2009 team would be better with Seymour, a veteran QB and a veteran ILB added to the team istead of Alexander, Connolly and Ninkovich. Do you disagree?

The fact that, for the last 55+ minutes, the guy calling the signals on Defense was a 2nd year undrafted linebacker makes last night's accomplishment remarkable.

I put the blame squarely on BB and Pees for not contingency planning better the for the possibility of an injury to Mayo. I found this quote very disturbing in Gasper's notebook today:

"“Everybody had to pick their game up when Jerod went out,’’ said Thomas. “We didn’t really know what was going on. Me and Gary went in there and just had to communicate with guys. Guys moving around everywhere. It was definitely an adjustment on the fly.’’

Given the circumstances, I see the D's performance last night as remarkable.........and a GOOD thing to have to experience early in the season (as long as Mayo is able to quickly bounce back).

Last edited:
Re: Thoughts on the Game

First, we have an extraordinary amount of positive comments on this game because the Buffalo returner handed us the game.

That's very true. Remove the last 3 mins and we're looking at a 24-13 game in which we have many issues with both units. I'm not blinded by what occurred in the last 3 mins & hope that we get better quick (especially the play of both lines).

For supposedly having a bad game, some passes dropped and having happy feet, Brady did complete almost 75% of his passes. If that is a bad game, I can't wait to see a god one.

My concern is with the pass rush.
Buffalo was excellent all game - except when it mattered in the 4th.
Ours was poor most of the game - except when it mattered in the 4th.

Against what was supposed to be a weak O line.

If they can beat the Jesties then maybe all is well...but they were giving up huge yards to the Bills? With their rookie OL? LOL, not good. And the patsies OL was getting schooled by their pass rush?

Think how up for this game the jesters will be...

For supposedly having a bad game, some passes dropped and having happy feet, Brady did complete almost 75% of his passes. If that is a bad game, I can't wait to see a god one.

You aren't kidding. 27 of 39 for 289 prior to those last drives are great nums - any qb would take that every week. (And half the incompletions were drops.)

For those of you panicking about last night, it's only game 1 of a long season. it's better we struggle early on, work out the kinks and play our best football for the end of the year. in 2007', we were blowing teams out early on but things changed. in 07' the giants gave up 70 points in their first 3 games. even the steelers struggled to score points. buffalo is becoming a better team each year and it's nothing to be ashamed of not beating them by 20 points.

the defense needs to gel. overall, i was pretty happy with the D considering it was just game 1. also, brady was rusty early on but that offense will start to click in no time.

i think our run D was solid - giving up 90 yards to the bills. our pass D gave up 215 yards, so that needs some work. if mayo had played the whole game, it may have been different.

All that matters early on is accumulating wins - pretty or not. if we play like this in after 10 games or so then we have some reason to worry. now it's onto mike sanchez and the jets. the jets fans already smell blood in the water and think they will win the division and that's after they beat a really bad houston team.

My "state of the Patriots" post predicted that the Pats offense would initially be rusty and the Defense would be what they are... new, and would need time - many games in fact - to really come together.

I went on to say that a loss was very possible and might actually be needed to help rally the team together and force them to gel.

This type of win is exactly what you want given all the above - you've got the W but you've shocked the complacency out of the entire team.

Brady was incredible in the second half. Rusty in the first with some bad throws but his WR's weren't giving him any help either with the drops.

This team will be fine next week.

Re: My postgame thoughts

7: Special Teams: Excellent all around. While the Offense and Defense seemed to struggle at times, the ST always looked solid. Maroney's KO return was inspiring. It will be great to get Slater back, too, as he's one who is consistently down the field first.

Ok... I think I've got the 10 character minimum covered...
TB146

Was Slater back last night? If so, I didn't see him. Then again, I wasn't really looking. If he came back that quickly, then that's great news considering how badly his elbow bent in the wrong direction. Hopefully we'll be getting more of that same news with Mayo next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes