PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Browns officially request permission to interview Pioli [Update: Granted]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand. Cleveland is a 3-5 year project.

Right, but if you don't have draft picks, how are you going to solve them? Dimitroff is being hailed as a genius right now, but don't you think things would be a little different if he hadn't had the draft pick that made him able to make a great decision in picking Matt Ryan?

Whoever ends up GMing the Browns won't have this opportunity, since Savage traded picks away to win this year. Instead, he ended up with a roster full of underperformers, question-marks at practically every position but LT, and a lack of draft picks to fix the problem.

I think pairing McDaniels and Crennel with Crennel in the supporting role is a recipet for disaster. Crenel is far too popular with the Browns players (by most accounts) and too experienced to be working under a first time head coach in Cleveland. I think the only way he could come back to Cleveland and be an assistant to a head coach is under an experience head coach with a lot of authority (ie Cowher).

Given their recent track records, I don't know that RAC would undermine McDaniels on offense. And on defense he needs somebody to delegate too.

The one problem I foresee would be that RAC didn't do a perfect job of reining in the egos, and McDaniel is young, so who would impose discipline?

Re: Browns officially request permission to interview Pioli

I hadn't noticed. Besides the Pats and Steelers, and Baltimore but not exclusively, and the Dolphins and Cowboys who else is there there that plays the 3-4, beside the Browns and Jerks??

Does that cover most of the top half of the defensive clubs in the league or not?;)

Baltimore plays some 3-4.

The Chargers, Patriots, Cowboys, Jets, Dolphins, Browns, Steelers, Cardinals (not always), and 49ers (not always) also play the 3-4.

I think firing Holmgren would have been a PR nightmare for the organization. But obviously that is simple conjecture on my part. Who knows what would have happened.

I remember that, good points nonetheless. I was just pointing out what I thought might have steered him away. Another poster above made some good points about the Lions job, but who knows. It is an interesting discussion, although one I wish we weren't having. But you can't blame a guy for atleast considering breaking out on his own.

Just an FYI for those considering RAC as part of the coaching staffi if Pioli went to cleveland: According the Plain Dealer RAC isn't interested in coming back to the Browns in any capacity other than the HC. So I don't think he would be able to get RAC back and I would be shocked if Pioli would even consider Mangini for a position on the staff.

Here are the quotes I couldn't find the other day of what Pioli has said in the past about other job opportunities and his dream job with the Pats:

In early 07, Pioli told WEEI:
“It comes down to quality of life and happiness. No disrespect to any other job opportunities that may have been out there or may come in the future, but you know what my dream job is? My dream job is being with people I care about, people that I want to work with, people that I enjoy coming to work with every day, whether it’s coaches or ownership or the players. We’ve built something here that is pretty special. Quality of life has more to do with being happy, coming to work every day, and winning. The other thing that’s paramount is we’re winning here. It’s a great situation, with a lot of great people, and I enjoy being here.”

At last year’s Super Bowl, reporters again asked Pioli about the challenge of running his own team:
“What’s wrong with this challenge?” Pioli said. “Why can’t the natural progression to be part of a team that is good as long as possible?”

“Sustained success is the most elusive thing in this sport … Why isn’t that a greater challenge?”

Groundhog Day : Patriots Daily

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case