PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Browns officially request permission to interview Pioli [Update: Granted]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Browns officially request permission to interview Pioli

Ok, say Pioli takes this job, who is his replacement?

I don't think Pioli will leave, but if he does, Caserio would be at least his replacement in the short term.

the good news about crennel getting canned (as well as mangini) is that there are 2 roster of 3-4 defenses that may be converted to 4-3, making certain types of players the pats covet more available......it was not a good year for the ultimate success of 3-4 teams this season

Yeah but part of the problem with the Jets was that they forced the square peg of the 3-4 on the round hole of non 3-4 players...... and look how that turned out......

I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE the Browns, so hopefully they don't get him and the greatness that follows.

just heard on weei that the patriots have given the browns permission to speak with pioli

update: Patriots grant permission as per WEEI.
Pats staff gets ransacked even in a non playoff season.:(

Meh, I'd disagree with #2. By definition, the GM has final say over the head coach. That's not the case here. Belichick has final say, and if anyone's title is missing, it would be EVP of Football Ops for Belichick, a la Reid in Philly or Shanahan in Denver.

By the LEAGUE definition, Maybe, but the nice thing is that the job description is written by the owners. I mean, in reality, the Pats could give BB the EVP title and the GM title to Pioli and it doesn't change anything.

BB and Pioli have effectively split the "typical" GM duties. There are some duties that BB has and others that Pioli has. The Pats could give the GM title to Pioli rather easily, but there are things eh wouldn't have a say over. Just like they could do the same with BB and the same would hold true.

People get too caught up in job titles and not what the person is actually doing.

Too bad they fired Romeo, maybe we could have traded Pioli for him.

By the LEAGUE definition, Maybe, but the nice thing is that the job description is written by the owners. I mean, in reality, the Pats could give BB the EVP title and the GM title to Pioli and it doesn't change anything.

BB and Pioli have effectively split the "typical" GM duties. There are some duties that BB has and others that Pioli has. The Pats could give the GM title to Pioli rather easily, but there are things eh wouldn't have a say over. Just like they could do the same with BB and the same would hold true.

People get too caught up in job titles and not what the person is actually doing.

You're right. They could give Pioli the GM title but he still wouldn't have final say. It's the final say that matters, not the title. He's not getting it here, but he can get it somewhere else.

I hope the granting of permission is not an indication Pioli may be interested.

My guess is Kraft grants this permission as he doesn't want to be looked at as standing in the way and did not speak with Pioli first but there is the possibility that when the request was asked he then went to Pioli to ask if he was interested and than granted the permission.

Something that I remembered from previous years. The Pats have allowed Pioli to interview with any and all teams. And Pioli has turned them down.

Also, The Browns asking for permission means that Pioli is still under contract with the Patriots.

Last edited:
Something that I remembered from previous years. The Pats have allowed Pioli to interview with any and all teams. And Pioli has turned them down.

Also, The Browns asking for permission means that Pioli is still under contract with the Patriots.

Yes but the question still remains why was the permission granted in the past and now?

Was it so Kraft puts out the image that he is not holding anyone back and Pioli had/has no interest.

or Did he have interest and Kraft was not going to get in the way but once he looked into it more he didn't want those specific jobs. If this is the case we should be nervous he may be gone.

Yes but the question still remains why was the permission granted in the past and now?

Was it so Kraft puts out the image that he is not holding anyone back and Pioli had/has no interest.

or Did he have interest and Kraft was not going to get in the way but once he looked into it more he didn't want those specific jobs. If this is the case we should be nervous he may be gone.

Personally, if I'm Pioli, even if I do want to leave I don't go to Cleveland. Roster's a mess, tons of money being paid at QB without a known solution, and no first round pick. Even KC would be better.

Personally, if I'm Pioli, even if I do want to leave I don't go to Cleveland. Roster's a mess, tons of money being paid at QB without a known solution, and no first round pick. Even KC would be better.

your right that it would suck to Cleveland because they have been using their future draft picks and wouls leave you shorthanded there but that wouldn't make that much of a difference and can't imagine that playing into what a guy decides to do about his career.

Don't forget people questioned whether is smart to be giving up a 1st rounder for BB saying a retread coach who would come in short a first rounder. That worked out fine.

Can you imagine the media circus surrounding the Pats if permission was not granted. A PR move by the Pats. The ball is now in Pioli's court. Too bad, sure could have used Dmitroff in his absence if he does go for the interview - Lerner's no idiot, he'd hire Pioli in a heartbeat.

Long as he doesn't pull a spygate I say "Bon Voyage" I got no problem with people who leave the Pats the right way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes