PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Browns officially request permission to interview Pioli [Update: Granted]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Browns officially request permission to interview Pioli

Don't the Browns already have a GM in Savage? I had read that only Crennel was fired.

For the Pats don't have to acknowledge the request unless the Browns are offering a position that is ABOVE the one Pioli currently has.

Last edited:

Don't the Browns already have a GM in Savage? I had read that only Crennel was fired.

For the Pats don't have to acknowledge the request unless the Browns are offering a position that is ABOVE the one Pioli currently has.

The Browns are offering him their GM position. I wondered how much has changed for Pioli since 2006 when he turned down the Seahawks GM position and multi-millions. We haven't seen any indication from him that he is looking to leave(besides anonymous sources that Mort and Peter King make up in their heads...)

Kraft, its time to open up the vault and up his title.

Do not let him go! I'm sure BB Agrees.

Kraft, its time to open up the vault and up his title.

Do not let him go! I'm sure BB Agrees.

1st off, who is to say that Pioli doesn't already have a lucrative contract?

2nd, The title means nothing. What matters is the job responsibilities. And I am fairly certain Pioli already has the title of GM in all by actual NAME. And I am certain that Pioli knows this as well.

this would suck if he decided to leave.:mad:

Upon hearing that Mangenius was fired, Lerner "appeared interested."

I know this is only a reporter's interpretation but Wow, how much more do you need to know about why the Browns have stunk for so long....

Last edited:

2nd, The title means nothing. What matters is the job responsibilities. And I am fairly certain Pioli already has the title of GM in all by actual NAME. And I am certain that Pioli knows this as well.

Meh, I'd disagree with #2. By definition, the GM has final say over the head coach. That's not the case here. Belichick has final say, and if anyone's title is missing, it would be EVP of Football Ops for Belichick, a la Reid in Philly or Shanahan in Denver.

this would suck if he decided to leave.:mad:

Why? It's the NFL. People come and go. If he wants to leave, let him and thank him for all the great years. After that, I'm sure Kraft has the ability to promote someone who actually knows what they are doing in the draft room.

I would bet dollars to donuts, Scott is making some serious coin.

BTW- Don't overlook that one of Pioli's buddies, Mark Shapiro, runs the Indians.

I would bet dollars to donuts, Scott is making some serious coin.

I think he probably has a great deal of power--close to as much as anyone offering him the GM job can offer him.

whoever signs pioli will have to give him 100% control of the organization......and the owner will have to play the part of a half-drunk, non-meddling fan of the team

jerry jones/dan snyder/ other meddlers with strange habits like not talking in front of camera's need not apply............the owner will really need to be non-existent in day to day operations (other than the checkbook)

in my opinion, likely places for pioli might include: chiefs, seahawks, packers......and do not be suprised to see crennel the coach wherever pioli winds up.........part of the problem with the browns was that crennel wasn't always on the same page as savage.......the duo could do some damage somewhere else......

the good news about crennel getting canned (as well as mangini) is that there are 2 roster of 3-4 defenses that may be converted to 4-3, making certain types of players the pats covet more available......it was not a good year for the ultimate success of 3-4 teams this season

Ok, say Pioli takes this job, who is his replacement?

Aren't the Browns a little too fond of dipping into the Pats organization for replacements? First RAC, now that they discarded him, they are after Pioli? And how highly can you think of your job security with Cleveland when they canned Romeo AFTER he signed a 3 year extension??

WE will ultimately see his interest in leaving if he accepts the request for interview (just like with the Seahawks a couple of years ago)

Speaking of contracts - Did we ever find out what Belichick's extension was for earlier last year?

Why? It's the NFL. People come and go. If he wants to leave, let him and thank him for all the great years. After that, I'm sure Kraft has the ability to promote someone who actually knows what they are doing in the draft room.

Are you saying that Piolio doesn't know what he is doing in the draft room? Maybe thats not what you intended but thats how the wording sounds?

It could be the worst part of not making the playoffs is giving these other teams a crack at Pioli. Losing him would suck.

Last edited:

Ok, say Pioli takes this job, who is his replacement?

If I had to guess, I'd say former WR coach Nick Caserio. [Interesting tidbit: he and JMcD were teammates at John Carroll. Caserio was McDaniels' QB. :) ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back