PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Browner's penalty negating McCourty TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many times must this be quoted before people read it? Bobbling a pass you are trying to catch is an instance of 'attempting to catch a pass.' If you do not understand this semantic point, then you have aphasia. The only argument worth having is whether Browner hit him in the neck area or head. People arguing that the receivers should just stop trying to catch the ball, and defend yourself, are missing the point to embarrassing levels. Seriously, stop embarassing yourselves.

after you

he was capable of avoiding...case closed.....bad call

other angles show clearly it wasn't but, don't let that stop you.....show the picture again....I forget what it looks like...you know...the bobble head portion, where GReen's chin hits his own chest.......but please....keep it going
Show one.

repeat it some more.....you're still wrong.....

you're starting to sound a bit psycho
How can I be wrong?
I listed the 6 things I said that you responded I was wrong about.
I asked you to list which of the 6 are wrong.
You answered none were.

after you

he was capable of avoiding...case closed.....bad call
Every receiver is capable of avoiding every hit.
Please explain the circumstances under which a receiver would be defenseless.
They wrote a rule, it must be possible.

How can I be wrong?
I listed the 6 things I said that you responded I was wrong about.
I asked you to list which of the 6 are wrong.
You answered none were.

simple........he wasn't defenseless......here's a nickle......try again

Every receiver is capable of avoiding every hit.
Please explain the circumstances under which a receiver would be defenseless.
They wrote a rule, it must be possible.

he had 4 steps to avoid.......

I'm still trying to find in the rules where the attempt to catch has a prolonged duration....don't see it

I'm still trying to find in the rules where the attempt to catch has a prolonged duration....don't see it
What was Green attempting to do at the moment Browner hit him in the neck?

FlatNimbleBlowfish.gif

Posted by Illegal contact. Absolute proof of hit to the neck.

An attempt to catch a pass is not an instantaneous slice of time. This is so obvious to anyone that has played football, I'm sure the rulemakers rightly knew they didn't need to state it. Bobbling a pass is part of the act of attempting to make a catch. If that is a disagreement where you want to plant your flag, go right ahead. I am happy to let it stand at that and let others judge who is being more reasonable.

Blandino by no means defended the call......he first said it was not helmet to helmet, and then said it was pretty close when it came to the head/neck area, but by no means did he say it was the right call....in fact, him not saying that it was the right call says he did not believe it was.

your biggest issue is my sticking point.....Green was capable of avoiding/warding.....he just decided to try to stay with the ball......admirable on one hand, foolhardy on another

I guess it's reading tea leaves with the NFL. The part that made me think he was trying to defend the team was this:

"The rule does protect the receiver who is trying to catch a pass; it does protect him from hits with the shoulder and the forearm to the head and neck area. When you watch this replay coming up, you can see there is some initial contact to the facemask ... That's really where the foul is.
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...ing-dean-blandino-reviews-brandon-browner-hit

Who said Browner couldn't touch him? A little lower and it's the same result without a penalty.

Maybe, but the refs never actually saw the helmet to helmet. They saw the violent hit and threw the flag, possibly only after Green was lying on the ground for a while. There was no helmet-to-helmet as Blandino mentioned, so if that's the call on the field, it's wrong.

As for the lower target area, maybe it doesn't result in the head snapping back. But I don't understand the definition of a defenseless receiver in this context. If he caught the ball cleanly, nobody says a word. He's had time to compose himself, get his head up, and any contact after that is permissible.

The juggle is what made the play even questionable because the refs afford him an extra 3 or 4 or 5 steps to try and corral the ball. That's what I take issue with. Clean catch, big clean hit. Juggled pass, goes 5 yards further, then the hit becomes a possible penalty. At what point does a receiver stop being defenseless?

He was obviously making tea, not trying to catch a football.
This has turned into fun for some reason.
Its like you are alone in the house with a child, you find cookie crumbs and spilled milk on the table, and the child swears that it wasn't him that did it.

Apparently, it's only after he catches the football which makes having quality DB's who can separate receiver from ball just about useless.
You dont have to hit a receiver in the head or neck area to separate him from the ball.
Of course it is a bad rule, but that doesn't change the fact that it is the rule.

We understand that you want the receiver to quit on the ball sometime before he takes 4 steps trying to make the catch.
But you didn't answer the question.
In your bizarre interpretation, exactly what would constitute a defenseless receiver?

simple........he wasn't defenseless......here's a nickle......try again

So, here are Blandino's words:

"The rule does protect the receiver who is trying to catch a pass; it does protect him from hits with the shoulder and the forearm to the head and neck area. When you watch this replay coming up, you can see there is some initial contact to the facemask ... That's really where the foul is.

Blandino cited the exact circumstances that ONLY apply to a defenseless receiver and called it a foul.
Obviously Blandino considers the receiver defenseless.
Please tell me you understand this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back