PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broncos shut out. LOL

Denver is who we thought they were, and that's a strong, physical defensive team with limited offensive firepower. That said, their HFA is real, and when they are able to get the running game going they look much better. Stop the run and you put the game in Simien's hands, where your odds shoot up drastically.

In terms of yesterday's game, I'm starting to think that SD isn't quite the pushover that some see them to be. They should've started 2-0 had it not been for the terrible end of game FG misses by their young kicker who they canned. They've now won 3 in a row. They have an experienced QB, some talent at the skill positions (certainly Allen and Gordon), and have an aggressive defense.

I'm not sure what to think of the Chargers. They are better than a lot of people are giving them credit for and not as good as some people think they are. They have a couple of legit pass rushers. Some talent on the offensive side of the ball. And Philllip Rivers is going to the Hall of Fame. The numbers are impressive. But there's just something about him, that I can't quite put my finger on. He doesn't scare me. Put him on a contender I think he could win a title, but I don't see him being the type that could carry a team to one. Even after all these years, I don't know what to make of him. Decent team, but one we should beat.

When I see HFA I make the assumption playoffs. My bad.
There's good reason to fear playing in Mile High. Most recent chunk of history is not on our side.

But right now their offense is more of an issue than I realized. They are hovering in the lower third in most passing categories. Basically the Broncos win when they run with success -- otherwise they lose. Rushing totals in losses: 46, 64, 110. In wins: 160, 145, 140. Make these guys pass and the offense sputters.

Philly's Rush D is tops in the league and the Patriots Rush D has been very good the last 3. While KC isn't defending the run as well I'd still bet KC with the game in KC.

Reading these stats I actually like our chances against Denver within several different scenarios. The scenario that I don't like is the one where our rush D lays an egg.

I really don't think CJ Anderson is someone we need to be afraid of. He's not Laurence Maroney, but he's not great either. He's a JAG. We should be able to contain him and the washed up vet they signed in the off season. I forget who.

Another tidbit from the broadcast: Thomas has not hauled in a TD since last Novemeber. That offense has problems besides Trevor. Granted he isn't very good. But it's not all him. If we can do a reasonable job of protecting Brady, contain their run game and dominate their below average Offensive Line, we win that game comfortably. What was it last year, 17-3 or something like that?

I really don't think CJ Anderson is someone we need to be afraid of. He's not Laurence Maroney, but he's not great either. He's a JAG. We should be able to contain him and the washed up vet they signed in the off season. I forget who.

Another tidbit from the broadcast: Thomas has not hauled in a TD since last Novemeber. That offense has problems besides Trevor. Granted he isn't very good. But it's not all him. If we can do a reasonable job of protecting Brady, contain their run game and dominate their below average Offensive Line, we win that game comfortably. What was it last year, 17-3 or something like that?

Don't remember the score last year -- I'll take your word for it :).

CJ may not be a top RB but someone over there is putting up a lot of rushing yards in their wins. Their avg rush yard total in the games they won would put them just about at the top of the league.
My own personal take on our own Rush D is when BB/MP want to stop the run they can. I was surprised how well we stopped the run in the first half against ATL. I may be wrong about this observation(??) but we seemed to be in a lot of 425 formations -- which I would interpret as "go ahead and run the ball". And if we can be that effective in stopping the run using that formation as our standard D, we should force a lot of third downs and be a D not easily scored on.

I think you're spot on regarding keeping Brady upright. It is probably the key. If we can give Brady protection/time I think the game will be ours to lose -- even with it being in Mile High.

Looking forward to the Monday night game. Haven't seen much of the Eagles this year. They seem legit. Might be the best team in the NFC.

It was one game. They are averaging 18 ppg this year. I watched most of that game Trevor looked almost Tebowesque out there. Not a good QB. They were arrogant and delusional to not go after Romo. That team would have been scary.
maybe for three quarters before Romo got hurt. 18 PPG is not good, definitely in the lower tier and this is a team that has some good offensive weapons. They have struggled in both their games on the road and now they have to play good defenses on the road the next two weeks so I think those struggles are going to continue.

Donks O-line didn't give TS any time to throw the ball. They have struggled lately. That might be fixed by the time the Pats come to town. Injuries have caused some players to move to new positions. More practice might help. Bosa and the other guy Ingram I think are for real. The Pats better have a good plan in place for limiting the SD pass rush. Quick releases? Run the damn ball 25 times or keep the RB in for pass protection. It all works.

After numerous tough games through the first 7, it will be nice to have a preseason-like atmosphere and an easy guaranteed victory when NE plays these guys in a couple of weeks.

I'm sorry. I should've clarified. I meant that they always have the capacity to pull of a win at Mile High on any given Sunday, hence what I meant by the "HFA" comment. Like you said, they likely will struggle to even make the postseason, and that's fine with me because I don't ever truly feel confident going there.
Denver with home field advantage in the postseason is always a tough obstacle - Hopefully their losses continue to pile up.

Donkeys still have a top 3 pass defense. Their offense's just terrible with that QB. Still won't be easy when we face them in Denver.

I parlayed Pats and Chargers :D.

They could have kicked a FG to avoid being shut out. so they played for a potential win (no matter how remote). I would have gotten on them for putting up useless points to avoid the shutout moreso than the shutout.

Still, it leaves me with a smile and that division, that appeared to be very strong early season, looks to be good, but not tracking well lately.

Still a scary team in Denver, particularly if Thomas and Sanders are healthy.

Still a scary team in Denver, particularly if Thomas and Sanders are healthy.

Nothing scary about that trainwreck of a team. The most annoying aspect of playing the Broncos is not their pass rush or secondary but the game happening in high altitude.

I understand people respecting Sanders but Thomas literally lives off the reputation of the 2013 Manning season. He is grossly overpaid for what he has done since.

Donkeys still have a top 3 pass defense. Their offense's just terrible with that QB. Still won't be easy when we face them in Denver.

If you stop their run they are dead in the water. On the other hand we are so multiple and balanced on offense that a lot of things would have to go the wrong way for us not to score 20+. It will be the same 20-7 affair as last year.

Denver is who we thought they were, and that's a strong, physical defensive team with limited offensive firepower. That said, their HFA is real.

Their HFA is so real, that ... get this ... they got manhandled with ease by an 0-5 team (now 1-6.)

I actually feel bad for Trevor. He's obviously not an NFL quarterback but wanted to be drafted here.

He still can. Honestly he has a nice touch on the ball and I think he would be a good backup QB in a few teams. Obviously, he has been thrown into fire and once he gets toasted it's a uphill battle to overcome and not everyone has that mental strength, also, not a lot of teams give that kind of a 2nd chance for a QB.

Their HFA is so real, that ... get this ... they got manhandled with ease by an 0-5 team (now 1-6.)
They’re 3-1 at home this year. They still obviously have an advantage playing at home due to the Mile High atmosphere.

Last edited:
Did Sanders play yesterday? I know he hurt his ankle last week. missing him is a big loss.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back