PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brian Daboll coming back to Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pure speculation, but Daboll was WR coach through the Branch/Givens years (I.e. when we could develop WR's) and with a strong WR draft class and some uncertainty for the Pats at the position going forward could that be the reason?

My thought is next year he becomes QB coach. Freeing up Josh to be able to work with the entire offense and coach up all areas.

This is what it is, a classic BB mindf...ck for the Ravens..

Do not read too much into it.. another set of eyes.

Adding Daboll brings the Patriots another offensive mind familiar with their system, and one who can work with several positions.

ESPN - Patriots add Daboll to coaching staff

This is a good point from the ESPN writeup. Most likely Daboll will help where needed this year. Then next year, they will have the option to have him take on coaching duties at QB, RB, or WR (especially if someone gets poached by one of the new coaches ). My guess though would be QB coach or "Special Offensive Assistant", if no one leaves.

Consider me completely surprised. I really thought his bridge was burned.

Is Mangini next? :eek:

This is what it is, a classic BB mindf...ck for the Ravens..

Do not read too much into it.. another set of eyes.

why would it bother the ravens that much?

Consider me completely surprised. I really thought his bridge was burned.

Is Mangini next? :eek:

Wonder if there is anything Mangini can do to mend fences with BB and Mr. Kraft?

My thought is next year he becomes QB coach. Freeing up Josh to be able to work with the entire offense and coach up all areas.

I guess he could work with Mallett, but if he's being hired to coach TFB he'll be more like the old Maytag repairman.

This is a surprising move. Bill has never been known for adding assistants to his staff in the middle of a season. He brought back Josh because he knew O'Brien was leaving for Penn State and he had a prime opportunity to acquire one of the top offensive minds on the market.

Daboll is an offensive coach. He worked as WR coach during his first stint here, before fleeing to the Jets to become QB coach. He worked as OC in Miami and KC too.

This could give rise to speculation that someone on the staff has told Bill they're leaving. Top guess would be McDaniels, but he has said publicly many times that he is satisfied being in New England for the moment. I tend to believe him, as I think he'd rather build his credentials over a 2-3 year period rather than jump from a 1 and done.

This will be interesting.

If he coached the Sanchize maybe BB is doing him a favor having him come back for a year to get his mind right again.

McDaniels is gone after NEXT season.

Daboll is the OC in waiting. He'll coach up all those rookie draft pick WR's we'll be getting in the spring.

Good interim move.

Yeah... I see why you say that but... NO that is not the case here, and below is as close to confirmation as you're going to get. McD will be here next year..

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/

"This should be hopefully a very simple transition for (Daboll) to come back here and fit in with all of us," McDaniels said. "I know all of us are excited to see him and have him help out here this week and see how many different ways he can help us get better. I'm excited to be here and like I said before, I'm very happy with my role here."

Last edited:
If he coached the Sanchize maybe BB is doing him a favor having him come back for a year to get his mind right again.

Never coached Sanchize

Can he....

...rush the passer?

Ok, I like Daboll, possibly due to that bag of tricks he pulled out in the embarrassing loss to the Browns a couple years back.

Last edited:
why would it bother the ravens that much?

Any edge or distraction is an advantage... we will hear about cheating soon.

Any edge or distraction is an advantage... we will hear about cheating soon.

No you won't in this situation. Only heard about it last year because McDaniels was brought back right before they faced Denver.

Don't kill me :eek: !

He's replacing JMcD, who will become HC in 2013 or 2014.

Why are we bringing this guy here? He hasn't been a 'lights out' OC on other offenses with roots here. Oh well, I'm sure it's for the best.

:)

Re: Brian Daboll: The return of an old friend

Daball was the OC for Hillis in 2010, Reggie Bush in 2011, and Jamaal Charles this year.

I would guess his contributions would be coming in the run game.

Then again, Ivan Fears and Dante seem to have things under control.
If his work as an OC was part of this decision, then he won't be coaching anything on offense.

Don't kill me :eek: !

He's replacing JMcD, who will become HC in 2013 or 2014.

Why are we bringing this guy here? He hasn't been a 'lights out' OC on other offenses with roots here. Oh well, I'm sure it's for the best.

:)
Daboll is very possibly the worst OC in the NFL.

Wonder if there is anything Mangini can do to mend fences with BB and Mr. Kraft?

Now that Mike Tannenbaum has been fired he and Mangini could come clean about Spygate to Goodell and come to Foxboro bearing a check for BB's fine and the Rats' #1 pick for 2013; plus interest on both.

:rocker:

Re: Brian Daboll: The return of an old friend

Never hurts to add seasoned coaches who know the system to the staff.
Not the Patriot way, they like to go cheap and lean on staffing. Even though his KC time failed I can't believe he'd be willing to work for slave wages. I agree with others who think this is leading up to an offseason personnel move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Back