PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breer: Hernandez failed drug tests

Status
Not open for further replies.
....... and I will not be scared off by any heavy handed board nazi throwing veiled Mafia threats my way.

Umm....wow.

Geez, best wishes.

Once again, I'm excited that the Patriots got such a top talent in the fourth round. Interesting to see WHY he dropped so far. If it's because of mistaken intelligence by the other 31 teams - - that's GREAT! Evidently, rightly or wrongly they felt he was a risk for suspension by the league rules in the future - - rightly or wrongly. Honestly, I'm excited about the tremendous value pick we got at that position.

I'm so sorry that your 'family history' as you put it caused this to be such a hot button issue for you.

Last edited:
However, three NFL teams indicated to the Globe on Monday that there were multiple positive tests during the player's time at Florida, and that a single positive test would have done little to hurt his stock. It was the history of this problem, we were told, that was responsible for Hernandez falling to the fourth round.

Let me guess...Tannenbaum,the Cleveland Ratboy and Bill Polian....

I think it's time for a cadre of young energetic Patriot fans to form a disinformation unit and bombard opponents' news outlets with constant negative "stories" of dubious veracity. Fight fire with fire.

When I first heard this story I thought it was weird that if he has in fact tested positive so many times, why didn't he miss a few games?

Here's an article from a FL newspaper (via Mike Reiss)..

"The reality is, a student-athlete at the University of Florida would not have the opportunity to fail multiple drug tests, based on the school's substance abuse policy, without missing massive playing time due to suspension and jeopardizing his or her career."

Hernandez refutes Boston Globe story | Gatorsports.com

So did you want Kevin Faulk cut?

Why? Do you know something we don't? Is he smoking Herbius Weedius and using the Wizinator to avoid the test? Come on, knowing Roger the Jet, don't you think they would love to nail a Partiot stalwart? Don't you think the NFL has him "double secret tested"?

Correct me if I am wrong. Mr. Faulk did not flunk a test but got nailed for having some very unusual cigars in his cousins jacket pocket.

Yes, IMO if your nailed for it once you are suspended for some games. Twice you get a year. Do you think a particular dummy who is already a two time loser will stop?

Do I want stoners on my team? Nope. Once is a mistake. I can understand that unless it is a few days before your NFL combine like that knucklehead Tate last year and McCoy this year. At least Hernadez was clean at the Combine. Twice in your career is stupidity. The third time is a clinic stay.
DW Toys

Do I want stoners on my team?

It's NOT your team, and trust me when I say NO ONE (that matters) cares who you want on the team ;)

a clinic stay for smoking weed?

jeezus...OK ,Nurse Ratched..

NurseRatched.jpg

When I first heard this story I thought it was weird that if he has in fact tested positive so many times, why didn't he miss a few games?

Here's an article from a FL newspaper (via Mike Reiss)..

"The reality is, a student-athlete at the University of Florida would not have the opportunity to fail multiple drug tests, based on the school's substance abuse policy, without missing massive playing time due to suspension and jeopardizing his or her career."

Hernandez refutes Boston Globe story | Gatorsports.com

Darn that Mike Reiss! How dare he go after the facts and not continue stoking the latest rumor about this pick!

Technically he COULD have failed "multiple" tests- two failed tests would be multiple, and would equal a one game suspension. However more than two? A crock of crap, if he actually did he would have been suspended again and for longer- yet he wasn't. So he may not have ever actually failed another test and the claims of more than that are baseless. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
However, three NFL teams indicated to the Globe on Monday that there were multiple positive tests during the player's time at Florida, and that a single positive test would have done little to hurt his stock. It was the history of this problem, we were told, that was responsible for Hernandez falling to the fourth round.

Let me guess...Tannenbaum,the Cleveland Ratboy and Bill Polian....

I think it's time for a cadre of young energetic Patriot fans to form a disinformation unit and bombard opponents' news outlets with constant negative "stories" of dubious veracity. Fight fire with fire.
Breer's just trying to cover his ass for printing sh!t from "sources". He's no better than Tomase; screw you Breer for trying to dump a kid's career before he even gets to town.

Hernandez should be testing positive for awesome this season.

The Globe and the Herald both SUCK. Can't trust anything they report, IMO. So pathetic.

Last edited:
Hernandez refutes Boston Globe story | Gatorsports.com[/QUOTE]

Good find, Intommywetrst, some interesting info:
The reality is, a student-athlete at the University of Florida would not have the opportunity to fail multiple drug tests, based on the school's substance abuse policy, without missing massive playing time due to suspension and jeopardizing his or her career.

According to the policy, a first positive test results in additional testing and drug counseling.

A second positive test would result in a suspension for 10 percent (one game) of the season and mandatory counseling. A third would cost an athlete 20 percent of the season.

Testing positive for a fourth time would result in a suspension for 50 percent of the season.

A fifth positive test would mean an immediate one-year suspension, with the chance to seek reinstatement at the end of the suspension.

In 2006, star defensive tackle Marcus Thomas was suspended for five games after testing positive for marijuana a second time within months. Thomas appealed the penalty, saying he believed the second positive test was related to the first. UF's drug committee reduced the suspension to two games, but Thomas was dismissed from the team by UF coach Urban Meyer later in the national championship season for failing to attend a mandatory drug education class.

Thomas, drafted by the Denver Broncos in the fourth round in the 2007 draft, is still playing in the NFL with the Broncos.

If Hernandez failed multiple drug tests at Florida, it is not reflected in his playing record. He played in 40 of the 41 games the Gators played in his three years at UF.

Same as usual w/Breer, not really deeply delving into a story. He seems to always jump the gun and run with it instead of investigating.

Last edited:

Good find, Intommywetrst, some interesting info:

Same as usual w/Breer, not really deeply delving into a story. He seems to always jump the gun and run with it instead of investigating.

I was really puzzled when I heard the first report of multiple failures. I live in FL and follow the Gators. I didn't know what their exact policy was until reading that, but it seems he would have been suspended for multiple games if he had, and that would have been HUGE HUGE news in my area and talked about non-stop in the local media. Yet I recall no such thing...hmmmm. I know I burnt up more than a few braincells of my own back in the day, but the rest of them still work well enough for me to remember something like that. :D

Last edited:
The Boston media has to be the most pathetic media in the sports industry. Hernandez's story absolutely lines up. In 2008, if he had failed multiple tests, he absolutely, positively would have been benched. And it would have happened without a problem as the team would have been able to make do without him. Bottom line is that when lives are not at stake and you cannot name your sources, you are usually a liar. The New York media doesn't have sh!t on the Boston media.

I love the pick, but this does alarm me. The commish comes down hard on this type of stuff. Now if he smoked his brains out for a period of time, but now he's not attracted to the stuff, it will be OK. But if he just straightened himself out for the combine test, but has the urge to smoke again. We're in trouble. The scary part was he got caught numerous times at florida. should'nt he have learned after the 1st time, or does he enjoy the stuff to much. We'll soon see, but I'm hoping the kid runs straight

I think that MJ actually stays in your system for a while. So if he was clean for the Combine, I'm pretty confident that he hasn't been smoking it up as of late. And apparently the reports are inaccurate and overblown. It appears that Hernandez only failed one drug test.

If Hernandez had failed multiples, he would have been subject to suspensions and discipline. I also think Urban Meyer would have given BB the lowdown if he thought that Hernandez was a pothead or a bad kid.

Last edited:
THC is fat soluble and can remain detectable for up to 120 days from last usage....vigorous exercise and flushing with water or cranberry juice has been estimated to reduce that time period to between 30 and 60 days...once again depending on the amount of THC ingested. I don't know the specific drug testing rules in the NFL but if he's subject to a random test once a month, that would be enough to keep him clean...because there's just no way he could hide it in that short of a time frame.

Last edited:
Boston Sports Media: Media of schmucks, by schmucks, for schmucks.

I think a priest has more sensible answers than a damned Boston sports journalist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST