Welcome to PatsFans.com

Breakout Patriots Player of 2013 - Who Will It Be?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Ian, May 13, 2013.

1. captain stone

captain stone Rookie

Ratings:
    +185 / 35 / -22

No Jersey Selected

My choices are Tavon Wilson & Duron Harmon.
  2. TriplecHamp

TriplecHamp Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 1 / -0

#24 Jersey

Chandler Jones- I think he will become a household name by the end of the season.

Devin McCourty- decent corner, going to be an elite safety

Dont'a Hightower- Can't sleep on him either. I think he'll become an impact player in a bigger role next season.
    I think Hernandez has a career year on offense but he's obviously already broken out so Im going to side with optimism and go with Aaron Dobson. If he can have a season like Cecil Shorts did last year were in excellent shape.
  3. TheBostonStraggler

TheBostonStraggler Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

I think you are spot on with Vereen being the breakout player. Odds and conditions are very favorable for it. (A) He showed 2012 flashes of very serious potential. (B) He is in line to, most likely, see a big increase in playing time with Woody gone. (C) He didn't get enough playing time to establish too high of a bar for being "breakout". If I had to put money down, Vereen would be the smart bet.

Dennard? He put the bar too high with his solid 2012 performance. He would have to be a very serious performer in 2013 to get breakout honors. I think the odds and conditions don't favor him for breakout. But if you are right and he steps up far enough above 2012 to earn breakout honors? With Talib on the other side, wow, this will be the best starting CB duo in a long, long time. The antithesis of 2011.

Based on odds and conditions, I think it looks semi decent for Cannon to also earn breakout honors. He showed he can play, he now has solid some NFL time under his belt, his cancer issue is definitely well behind him, and the bar is still sufficiently low from his 2012 performance/playing time to hit that breakout honors plateau. If he can crack the starting lineup or force the issue with his play and make BB rely more on a rotation, I think him and Vereen will be two names that will be mentioned much more in 2013 than they were in 2012.
  4. TheKraftyOne

TheKraftyOne Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Pats should use a RB by committee approach so I don't think any back will get a majority of reps to have a breakout season so I'll go with Chandler Jones because he could really up his sack total. On offense I'll go with...good question. Dobson or Boyce to be optimistic and if I had to choose one it would be Dobson. I nominate Collins now for 2014!
  5. JR4

JR4 In the Starting Line-up PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 3 / -2

Yeah you may be right. But just liked the way he played last year.
    Also I think PATS pass rush will improve this year. So I'm thinking
    with a better pass rush, QBs PATS face will be rushing their decisions
    more which should show up in more team ints this year

Considered a steal of the 2012 draft he is physical,has good hands, smart,
    always aware of the situation and will make plays on the ball if given
    half a chance. He could have been a 1st round pick if his fiery disposition
    didn't get him into trouble. With another off season and more coaching added
    to his confidence built from last year ... watch out.

One last note: many QB's will throw away from Talib which means he should get a lot of balls thrown his way at least until he makes a name for himself. :)

After all that, now watch Ras-I start. :rolleyes:
  6. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +592 / 6 / -9

#75 Jersey

I'm going with Dobson on a hunch. Most rookies might be unready to step right in, but he seems to be totally confident and aggressive.

EDIT: watched another vid and he seemed to hear footsteps on a turnaround and totally lose focus. We'll see.

Still could be opportunity meeting confidence.
  7. TheBostonStraggler

TheBostonStraggler Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

For other 'just as likely' things :D:
    - BB smiles on the sideline every game
    - Big Vince runs back 2 INTs for TDs
    - TFB gains 500 yards of rushing
    - WW is traded back to the Patriots for a conditional 7th round pick
  8. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

9. TheFlyingWedge

TheFlyingWedge Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I just want the defense to gell as a unit, but If any player were to really leap from last year, I'd like it to be Tavon Wilson.
  10. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +253 / 4 / -1

#12 Jersey

I gotta agree that it'll be Jones. If stays healthy, he's a 15 sack season waiting to happen. Crazy thing is, I expect Hightower to be almost as dynamic- they're both going to be studs this year IMO. On offense, gotta go with Vereen. If he can stay healthy, I don't even know who to compare it to. There aren't many guys in the NFL that can line up out wide (not even in the slot, necessarily) and run between the tackles credibly.
  11. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +580 / 1 / -3

#75 Jersey

Hightower. I can't wait to see what this kid does in his second year. To me, this is the McGinest we've been sorely missing since, well, McGinest.
  12. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +580 / 1 / -3

#75 Jersey

On offense, put me down for Marcus Canon. If they use him correctly at guard and not tackle, he'll someday be All-Pro.
  13. kennyb

kennyb Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 2 / -3

Tj moe and Jake sudfeld.
  14. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +471 / 18 / -14

I think the obvious answer is Amendola.
    I think Adrian Wilson is a good candidate too, because people think he is not his old great self, and I think BB has a perfect role for him to stand out in.

I love what people are saying about Hightower. The most important thing this team needs is a relentless, ferocious pass rush. We win the SB with one.
  15. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +275 / 18 / -2

I must say that it very unusual to suggest that Dante doesn't know how to correctly use his offensive linemen.

16. EwanSellars

EwanSellars Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0

#15 Jersey

having hightower and collins for LB's is going to be huge for our pass rush im expecting a big year from our defense this year
  17. Froob

Froob Rookie

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -3

#32 Jersey

Just one guy's opinion but, I don't think rookies should really qualify because they haven't played yet so they haven't had less than stellar seasons yet. Anyways, I'll go with the popular choices with Vereen for offense and Jones for defense. Would be great to have a big time pass rusher if Jones unleashes his potential.
  18. scott99

scott99 Rookie

Ratings:
    +125 / 68 / -57

#87 Jersey

I like the Buchanon pick, he was an absolute steal in the 7th round. Watch his highlites and he looks like Chandler Jones, though Jones is a bit thicker. What I like about Buchanon is he has a non stop motor.

Illinois DE Michael Buchanan to Patriots - YouTube
  19. scott99

scott99 Rookie

Ratings:
    +125 / 68 / -57

#87 Jersey

My breakout player will be TE Jake Ballard. I think he gets a ton of playing time this year, with Gronks status really unknown. I see Ballard chipping in with 45+ catches this season and 5+ TDs. Excellent red zone target.
  20. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +319 / 0 / -1

A year ago I was on the Markell Carter bandwagon, so my opinion on this question may not be the most enlightened one.

I'll say Jones & Jones: Chandler Jones and Donald Jones.

If those two are too well known/obvious, then how about one of either Justine Francis or Armond Armstead on defense, and either Shane Vereen or Marcus Cannon on offense.

In case anyone was wondering about Carter, the latest on him is that he was released yesterday by the Calgary Stampeders of the CFL.
    Too bad, he seemed like a good guy that one could easily root for.

[​IMG]

Stampeders Sign Draft Picks - OurSports Central - Independent and Minor League Sports News

In other transaction news, the Stampeders have released six imports - defensive linemen Markell Carter, Wayne Dorsey and Alex Watkins, linebacker Demetri Stewart and defensive backs Jeremy Caldwell and Gary Wilburn.​