PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breaking: Solder Gone For Season. Will Have Surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm more comfortable with Vollmer at Lt, cannon rt. Didn't Vollmer play Lt rookie season? He did well. Cannon also did ok when Vollmer went down in 2013. I'd rather have the two positions solidified than to have one all pro and bradys blindside a big question. Unless cannon has shown something to bb that indicates more consistency at Lt.

Please be reminded, the Pats also lost their fullback. So, that's two big players for the Pats down and out. Now, what were those other teams telling us about their injuries? :rolleyes:

Losing Solder is a big loss. He has been a fixture on the OL since 2011. Hopefully next man can step up. Looks like that will be Marcus Cannon. Big shoes to fill!!

Yeah, I was wondrin' about all the negative Solder comments- by many posters -in the game thread. Well, now we have it. To me, it (i.e. his play) was a bit uncharacteristic of Solder and he had been extended. The pats don't extend people whom they believe cannot do the job.

O-line depth...where ya at? And viewed another way, this gives someone else a chance to get in there.
The gameday threads are out of control.

I jumped to that assumption based on Solder telling him that his elbow was fine. A torn bicep never crossed my mind.

Thats the problem with assumptions. They are based on speculations.:p

Its almost like people jump to conclusions that Brady deflates footballs so they are easier to throw.:rolleyes:

No matter what the actual release time is for Brady, I can't remember seeing another QB get the ball in and out so fast with accuracy. Maybe Marino.

Right? It's scary how well #12 knows and runs that offense. Really the only hope I see slowing him down is what I hope the Jets D can do. Have solid press coverage, hit him and live with getting beat for long gainers.

Lewis is exciting. I almost felt bad for the Cowboy that he ducked under this week for a TD, especially when I saw that he ended up getting a very awkward hit to the helmet and a block on his own teammate. Then I realized he deserved it for missing the tackle.

I saw that play and just started laughing at how Lewis abused 'em. Then quickly realized that's no laughing matter for a Jet fan. Can just imagine Pace or Coples trying to cover him out of the backfield. :eek:

One of the things I noticed about the Pats defense is how they always seem to improve, sometimes even when they get hit by injuries. I know that they look at the season as a work in progress in all phases, but the defense seems to make better strides. I like the way they're getting pressure up the middle. I hope that keeps up.

Yup. Hope Bowles can do the same thing here. Most teams seem to go up and down throughout the season. Pats, even if they start great, always consistently get better as the year goes on. Even with injuries. One of the reasons BB is so damn good.

Anyway, enough about us. How about those Jets huh? They look like a real threat this year, and are in great position to make a playoff run. The AFCE is the top division in the NFL.

I'm happy. But still many questions with a new QB, coach and schemes. Fitz has been OK, but nothing great. For a "Harvard" QB he's still missing many open WRs. He was supposed to be great in short to medium passes and suck on the deep ball. Well he sucks on the deep ball and hasn't been anywhere near perfect short/medium. Not finding open WRs or completely missing them sometimes. Our rookie Devin Smith should be doing OK, but Fitz hasn't been able to get on same page as him yet. Missing him open deep/medium/short. Hopefully just a timing issue that'll get worked out soon. If not, I'll be calling for Geno.

Ivory is awesome, but can he stay healthy?

TEs: None to speak of. But running game and hopefully 3 good WRs make up for that.

Defense, well that's just great to see. Really looking forward to what Bowles does with Sheldon back now.

Been waiting for week 7 vs you guys for a while now. No better way to see what we have on D than going vs the best. The headlines will probably read "Pats O vs Jets D" but I actually think it'll come down to the Jets O vs Pats D. Mainly if the Jets O can keep the ball a while. If there's roughly a 50/50 split and the defense can stay fresh, Jets odds go way up I think. But Brady will tear any defense to shreds if they start getting tired. Jets D or the '85 Bears, doesn't matter.

Hopefully Jets can handle their business vs Wash. Another good test for Bowles to see if he can have the team ready after the BYE. One of Rex's big issues over the last years. Then week 7 would be even more fun as a battle for 1st.

AFC East. Well it started looking great. But Miami has turned to crap and now Buffalo may be in trouble with Tyrod going down. Hope Buffalo gets better though. Hell even you guys should want some competition in the AFC East right? Gotta be boring always easily winning the division.

Hope the AFC East keeps playing well. Tired of always hearing about the Beast (NFC East) from Midget fans as that being consistently the best division (which it hasn't been in a while).

I think I'm more comfortable with Vollmer at Lt, cannon rt. Didn't Vollmer play Lt rookie season? He did well. Cannon also did ok when Vollmer went down in 2013. I'd rather have the two positions solidified than to have one all pro and bradys blindside a big question. Unless cannon has shown something to bb that indicates more consistency at Lt.

I'm more comfortable with Vollmer at LT as well, although I have a feeling BB will use Cannon like last game.

Vollmer LT
Cannon RT
This. I remember when Vollmer was a rookie and he had to step in for Matt Light against Miami and absolutely stoned Jason Taylor.

The gameday threads are out of control.

I jumped to that assumption based on Solder telling him that his elbow was fine. A torn bicep never crossed my mind.

Thats the problem with assumptions. They are based on speculations.:p

Its almost like people jump to conclusions that Brady deflates footballs so they are easier to throw.:rolleyes:

In retrospect, it's better that we know Solder was held back by an injury and that it can be resolved. Of course, the trade-off is that another player works into the (regular) mix. And people on the forum have been talking it up about O-line depth. So, we get to see this play out. No problem; only solutions. :D

This. I remember when Vollmer was a rookie and he had to step in for Matt Light against Miami and absolutely stoned Jason Taylor.

It also reminds me of David Andrews getting on the proverbial Pats Nation map...who is this guy, etc...

Pro Bowl Starting CB Ty Law put on injured reserve

Staring CB Tyrone Pool put on injured reserve

Rookie Tight End Benjamin Watson missed 15 games and was put on injured reserve

Starting Tackle Tom Ashworth put on injured reserve

11 total players put on injured reserve
Yeah that 2004 season was a total disaster. Good thing they got a trophy to ease the pain...

The Charge of the Heavy Brigade

Cannon to the left of them, Cannon to the right of them ...

Well, solder gone for this year. Cannon obviously the next up, though could switch with Vollmer. Fleming similar to Cannon, more a thick right guard, so who might get an unexpected shot?

How about Blaine Clausell?
  • Played in 49 career games with 38 starts, all at left tackle at Mississippi State.
SEC left tackle on the PS.

I have been a big critic of Cannon....hopefully now he shuts me up, and I'll be hoping he does!!! lol
Next man up. Going to be interesting to see where he plays....Vollmer is better at RT, but so is Cannon, I guess the question is who isn't as bad at LT.

I'm more comfortable with Vollmer at LT as well, although I have a feeling BB will use Cannon like last game.

This is the scenario i want...but what i also see will actually happen

Cannon needs to see this as a blessing in disguise and prove his worth. Seems like bill has confidence in him. I wonder what mike williams brings to the table

Of course there's no way to spin this as a positive. But injuries in Football are not a matter of If, but When and Who.

Belichick's roster strategy is all about building a roster that is bulletproof against injury, so that when the bullets take down key starters, he's got a ready solution on the 53-man + the shadow roster. What did you all think was going on when BB paid Cannon a pretty rich contract for a swing tackle backup? He was buying insurance against exactly something like this happening. He's already planned for it. This is just another form of situational football... what do you do when your starting LT gets injured?

There are few very starters who might get injured where the Pats would be unable to recover and field a competitive team. Even Brady has a contingency plan in place against injury, and BB spent a premium 2nd round pick on him (to the confusion of his critics).

Losing a starter is always a dropoff in game play, but I venture to say the Pats can recover better than any other team. Losing Romo and Dez has crippled the Cowboys, and most teams implode when their star players go down. Belichick has a plan. He will not be held hostage to the crapshoot of the injuries bug,

I've always liked Cannon more than most, let's see how he does when he starts every week. He did well a few years ago when he had to start for an injured vollmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST