PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Branch Speaks: "I have three kids. I take care of them. Not the Patriots."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twig said:
...I had to do what was best for me and my family. I have three kids. I’m the one who has to take care of them. The Patriots aren’t going to take care of them. Nobody is going to take care of them but me.’’
Poor guy. People just don't understand how hard it is to live paycheck to paycheck. Not knowing how you're going to put food on the table or pay the rent. Walk a mile in his shoes.

At least he'll be able to clothe his kids now.

Pats726 said:
SORRY....Branch said he would "honor his contract",, THAT is what came out of his mouth..not mine not anyone else's HIS MOUTH...and what he said was a LIE...HE refused to honor his contract...HE was the one who did NOT live up to HIS word. The BS is what has flowed from his mouth...lies!!! Which is why people are looking at him for what he is...scum!!

Give me a break! If you were interviewing for other jobs, and an acquaintance at work asked you flat out if you were looking, you would say no. That doesn't make you scum. In Deion Branch's case, the acquaintance happened to be a reporter with an amplifier to millions of people.

Just rambling here but I wonder if it wasn't an ego issue also. Even with a SB MVP, Branch was NEVER going to be 'the man' here in New England. Brady and to a lesser degree Seymour rightfully deserve those titles. Maybe Deion thought that in another city he could be the *Star* of the franchise.
If it 'wasn't about the money' as he claims, what else could it be?

Just my $0.02,

PS When a pro athlete or anyone making in the millions talks about "taking care of my kids" I don't think they realize how stupid that sounds to people earning lots less and functioning fine just the same.

Keegs said:
go **** yourself deion.

you worthless piece of ****
YES - now there's someone who speaks my language - I don't have to say it now :)

CTPatsFan said:
Poor guy. People just don't understand how hard it is to live paycheck to paycheck. Not knowing how you're going to put food on the table or pay the rent. Walk a mile in his shoes.

At least he'll be able to clothe his kids now.

Please. Branch made under a million per year his entire career, and if he signed with the Pats he would have gotten a third of guaranteed money as the Seahawks gave him. Branch actually HAS a child with a debilitating illness, so seriously go screw. He got as much as he could, using all the weapons at his disposal, to make that happen. It doesn't make him scum, or a liar, or pure evil.

maverick4 said:
Give me a break! If you were interviewing for other jobs, and an acquaintance at work asked you flat out if you were looking, you would say no. That doesn't make you scum. In Deion Branch's case, the acquaintance happened to be a reporter with an amplifier to millions of people.

Do not compare what some make with what we are talking about with Branch..you are missing it totally!! If indeed Branch contacted ANY team while under contract..THAT is a violation!!! Or do you NOT realize that! The twog has NO integeity at all..he is as hony as a 3 dollar bill. Good riddance!! Don't keep enabling him..giving him excuses for his poor actions..

Yesterday it was widely reported that it was a 1st rounder we got in compensation.

Today on Patriots.com the report is this:

"FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - The New England Patriots traded wide receiver Deion Branch to the Seattle Seahawks today in exchange for an undisclosed selection in the 2007 NFL Draft."

What gives?

maverick4 said:
Please. Branch made under a million per year his entire career, and if he signed with the Pats he would have gotten a third of guaranteed money as the Seahawks gave him. Branch actually HAS a child with a debilitating illness, so seriously go screw. He got as much as he could, using all the weapons at his disposal, to make that happen. It doesn't make him scum, or a liar, or pure evil.

So the fact that he said he would honor his contract and he failed to doesn't make him a liar??? What ethics do you have??? If that is NOT a lie...what is a lie then??

I actually don't care that much that he took the money and ran. I'd be much happier if he'd at least played out his contract, but...

Here's the one quote of his that totally went over my head:

‘‘I’d never wish the situation I went through on no one. If you have as much passion for the game as I do I wouldn’t wish it on nobody. To hold out against an organization like the Patriots it can’t just be about money. Money’s always involved because this is a business. They let you know that from the first day you come into the NFL. But to go through this and stay strong, money can’t be your main purpose.’’

err.....what? So you went to Seattle why? You think Hasselbeck's a better QB? You like the coach more? You think it's a better team? You're from the Northwest?

It WAS about the money. Man up and just say it.

maverick4 said:
Before people start using that kid quote and letting their hate boil over:
You would do the exact same thing as a professional athlete and you know it. Athletes are no different from you and me in terms of seeking monetary compensation.

We all have countless co-workers, schoolmates, or neighbors who chased salary increases or job promotions or job positions, and we haven't hated them, or have those people 'dead to you'.

The Pats got a good deal in return, and Branch found a willing taker for his services. It's fine, and let's just move on. No need to crucify the guy.

I don't fault him either. It's a business. Get what you can while you can. I do exactly the same thing in my life (but with much smaller figures!). I hope he does well in Seattle but that they lose all their remaining games so we get a really high draft pick.

No ill will here.

"To hold out against an organization like the Patriots it can’t just be about money."
BelichickFan said:
I'd LOVE to know what the greedy ass jerk means by this.

He means he would love to play for a class organization like the Patriots, where his best friends in the NFL would be his teammates. But if the organization continues to tell you that you are not as valuable to them as other organizations, then at some point you have to show some pride. Any self-respecting man would not settle for less than what he feeld he is worth, even from an organization he would love to play for. That's more than money, that's being a man, and not accepting 80 cents on the dollar for your services.

Roxbury Jay said:
"To hold out against an organization like the Patriots it can’t just be about money."

He means he would love to play for a class organization like the Patriots, where his best friends in the NFL would be his teammates. But if the organization continues to tell you that you are not as valuable to them as other organizations, then at some point you have to show some pride. Any self-respecting man would not settle for less than what he feeld he is worth, even from an organization he would love to play for. That's more than money, that's being a man, and not accepting 80 cents on the dollar for your services.

Your simplistic view of what a man is or isn't is pathetic and offensive to those in this world who actually HAVE to take jobs to feed their families no matter the wage or job or sacrifice to their egos or pride. I would call THEM men.......

Roxbury Jay said:

When you are talking about millions of dollars..it also means you are a greedy weasel..and but any MAN would not do what whiny Branch has done..more like a 2 year old...Man?? Not at all..a MAN would have
played this year, played hard and left and gotten big bucks...and if he did that ANY AND ALL comments about Branch would have been gone. But Branch did what whiny losers do.

Roxbury Jay said:

If you are a man you also honor the contract you signed, show up for your teammates, play your ***** off and cash in legally at the end of the year on the free agent market. I hope Deion is secretly as bummed as Seymour that he has to go elsewhere and start over.

Hear this.

maverick4 said:
You would do the exact same thing as a professional athlete and you know it.

You are dead wrong, and I'm sick of hearing this "reasoning." You don't know me, and I am not a greedy pig like Branch. If I had the $8 million signing bonus the Patriots offered Branch --- not to mention the future salaries --- I would be set for life and then some. I could buy a big house in New England and another on the beach somewhere, and after retiring I could travel all I want, never work again, and even my kids would never have to work, although I would want them to. I would stay in New England out of loyalty to my teammates and the fans, and the desire to keep the dynasty rolling.

We are too quick to accept that it is normal and/or OK to squeeze that 37th million out of a team offering "only" 36 million. That makes me sick.

Roxbury Jay said:

I'm not sure what kind of man that is being, thankfully I am not that kind of man. When I give my word, or sign a contract, I actually honor those things. Thats more about being a man then Branch will ever know...

It's going to be easier for him now, in the future, to forget what integrity is...the first time you prostitute yourself out for cash is always the hardest. From now on Branch and his agent will find it easier to pimp himself out...in a few years, look for Branch on crack row...well, a very rich crack row.

grapedog said:
I'm not sure what kind of man that is being, thankfully I am not that kind of man. When I give my word, or sign a contract, I actually honor those things. Thats more about being a man then Branch will ever know...

It's going to be easier for him now, in the future, to forget what integrity is...the first time you prostitute yourself out for cash is always the hardest. From now on Branch and his agent will find it easier to pimp himself out...in a few years, look for Branch on crack row...well, a very rich crack row.

It's easy for people to say 'I give my word, I honor my contract'. But it has nothing to do with the Branch situation. It's blatantly unfair that management can sign a contract it has no intention in keeping. I am all for players holding out if need be, in order to balance out the power that management has.

What will happen as a result is more teams will begin to trade players in the last years of their contracts. That, or a re-negotiation of the CBA which makes it nearly impossible to hold out.

grapedog said:

So is Kraft (via Pioli and Belichick) not a man for electing not to honor WIllie McGinest's contract last spring, or Troy Brown's contract last year? Did he forget what integrity is when he made those decisions not to pay them per the contract they all signed? Please.

Pats726 said:
I agree...THAT is the real issue...What can he NOT do with 5 mill that the Pats offered.

Man, what part of "he has a very ill child" do you people not understand? Get a grip.

MoLewisrocks said:
Willie was due $7M in roster bonus and salary and would have counted $8.3M against the cap. If he didn't know that was a dummy year than Willie was the dummy.

In April the Seahawks signed Nate Burleson to a 7 year $49M contract to be their backup #1 WR. One or more of Burleson or Branch or Jackson will never see 2008 in a Seattle uni. Because if you have 3 #1's it probably means you don't have any - just 3 guys being paid like #1's. The are operating in a window with Holmgren and desperate not to suffer the predictable post superbowl losers fate. The loss of Hutchinson will not be mitigated by adding another #2 to their receiving corps. Hasselbeck spent more time on his ass yesterday than Tommy did. He's used to throwing to 6-footers. Playing with a smurf will take more than two weeks of adjusting. And Alexander averaging 2.7YPC with Ashworth.

If Deion had been injured this season after signing a reasonable deal with the Kraft family, they would have kept him on the payroll even at the expense to the cap because of his history here. Seattle owes him nothing beyond his signing bonus, and even that can be recouped to an extent.

As for the kids, he's just put 3000 more miles between himself and the twins who live in GA with their mother and family. They will be lucky to see him in a bye week during a six month season. NFL players today have medical benefits most of us can only dream about. When Tedy was at MGH he was on the floor with the mahogany paneling and gormet chef and consierge service. Deion risked his 5th vesting season and had he been injured during his holdout he would risked his pension and retirement benefits including a very generous account the teams contribute to to fund medical insurance costs for retired players.

But I think when all is said and done, he will regret more than the missed regular visits with his oldest kids. He will miss Tommy and the rapore they built and the teamates he won 2 rings with. Hasselbeck is a nice QB. But it took him years to develop into that and he ain't headed to Canton. Deion will become just another in a long line of WR's brought to Seattle to help that development. Albeit the least productive and shortest to date. But then this is a team who lost Hutchinson because they wouldn't do a long term deal voluntarily and transition tagged instead of franchised him. And then overpaid Tom Ashworth to be something he isn't either.

That's retirement medical for players. not for your family. There's a big difference there. You get 6 months when you leave your employment, and then you have to figure out another way to get insurance. I don't think Deion was concerened about his health when he mentioned his kids, but about his child's health.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back