PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady in town; will lead workouts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike Pouncey was drafted the night before. I think rookies would be the last of the group to receive a playbook. Especially those drafted Friday night and later. And with that said Miami doesn't even know who their QB is by all reports and they just hired Daboll as their OC, which I would assume would mean a whole new offense. Either way not getting the playbooks out is a major screwup especially for them. That franchise seems to be more interested in selling off 5% chunks of ownership to music stars that have any association with South Florida than they do with winning games these days. Again I would be shocked if Tom Brady and the rest of the core group of players didn't receive the playbook or some version of the playbook on that Friday. In addition the core offense isn't going to change.

Brady and most of that core group wasn't there and Pouncey was drafted #15 on Thurdsay evening. He and the first rounders all were at their respective facilities on Friday.

Absent coaching these playbooks aren't worth the paper they're printed on. That's why teams push participation in off season programs and OTA's and mini camps so hard. So that by the time TC rolls around coaches have a clue what they've got to work with and that is what they base their decisions on relative to what kind or version of scheme they are built to run for the upcoming season... Last season Bill knew he wanted to change up the offense, but until he saw his new TE's performing in the offense he wasn't sure he could...

What these players are doing now absent coaching and film work and meetings could as Bill stated be anything...including meaningless. Random isn't what he counts on. Will it help some of them? Will it harm some of them? He hasn't got a clue so it's meaningless to him. He'll do what he has to do to build on it or undo it once he gets them back under his thumb...

Someone on another site summed up what the receiver group and any offensive rookies probably got out of their workouts this AM. An opportunity to have Brady cuss them out...

As for playbooks, what's stopping one of the vets from copying theirs and handing them to the rookies?

Nothing. That's been my point all along.

As for the workouts -- at a minimum, they ensure that the rookies understand the basics of what they're reading in the playbooks.

I'm fine with the timing of this. Today would be the first day of minicamps. There's still a good chunk of the offseason to work on the offense with Brady leading the way, particularly with the lockout still in place.

That's my thought. It isn't an accident that Brady is in town at the same time minicamps start. I think this is the least disruptive approach to the lockout.

That's my thought. It isn't an accident that Brady is in town at the same time minicamps start. I think this is the least disruptive approach to the lockout.

It isn't an accident. This is the week he holds his Friday evening charity football game at Harvard Stadium to benefit Best Friends in conjunction with in the Audi cycling event that also sponsors the charity he is honorary chair of over the weekend.

Conspiracy theories abound... Will Bill and Linda ride again this year?? Would give Tom and Bill a chance to secretly exchange critical notes and video on the mini...I mean player organized workouts...and maybe Bill could slip him a couple of revised playbooks...

I have to do this before someone else post this in a serious way.

Is Brady man enough to lead the team in workouts?:rolleyes:

Bill said as much a week or two ago when asked about player led workouts...

And as for Edleman, he may be in a little trouble when he and the coaches again meet. Playbooks are generally collected at the end of the season and placed back in the vault...or something. Teams guard them. Players often bend rules they don't think are that big a deal... And if he's talking about last year's playbook practicing it may not be gaining him any ground... Practicing the 2009 offenses playbook would have proved useless for the 2010 team...

Wow, Mo. I expected more from you.

First of all, the biggest change from season to season is the terminology. For the most part, the plays are the same. Do they add and subtract plays? Yes. But only a select few based on the personnel they have. But the majority are the same.

The biggest thing that guys like Edelman, Vereen, Tate, Price, and Ridley will be learning is what the expectations are on a particular play. What their particular route tree will be based on the call and the thought process that Brady will expect. Those are things that Brady can relay to them just as well as a coach.

There are technique things that the coaches usually pass along that they won't get. And that is important. But to act as if having a copy of the play book means nothing is kinda silly... OH, and there isn't anything that says that the Pats didn't have them out and waiting for the player for those who showed up for the few days where the lockout was lifted.

:confused: Check the Rapsheet archives or the Sunday Herald from two weeks ago...

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I think your BB decoder ring may be broken. If you'd like, I could translate the following for you:

“Well, I’m sure every team has some players that have some things organized that they’re doing together in varying degrees,” Belichick told me, “but who knows what is really going on?”

“None of us have observed those workouts,” Belichick continued. “And what their idea of a productive workout is and maybe what another group of players is doing and how those compare… What a group of players on this team is doing relative to a group of players on another team and all that, I mean, your guess is as good as mine.”

This is far from scoffing at the notion of player led workouts being productive.

And one and two and three and stretch

tom_brady_slide_1.jpg

It isn't an accident. This is the week he holds his Friday evening charity football game at Harvard Stadium to benefit Best Friends in conjunction with in the Audi cycling event that also sponsors the charity he is honorary chair of over the weekend.

He would have flown in on Friday for that.

Mike Florio reports that 40-50 Pats showed up for Brady's workout. Included were recovering DL's Mike Wright and Ty Warren and recovering TE Aaron Hernandez.

Ryan Mallett got to meet Tom Brady and Brain Hoyer, and met and threw to some veteran Pats WRs too.

Mike Florio reports that 40-50 Pats showed up for Brady's workout. Included were recovering DL's Mike Wright and Ty Warren and recovering TE Aaron Hernandez.

Ryan Mallett got to meet Tom Brady and Brain Hoyer, and met and threw to some veteran Pats WRs too.

If nothing else the rooks got a calibration of what's expected of a Patriot from Tommy Boy who does not suffer slackers well at all, q.v. Chad Jackson. I think it was a day well spent.

In the past, Brady consistently won the award for off season work outs. He seemed to be the one pushing his team mates and holding them accountable.

Fair enough, but he's 34 now and he has a family. I understand that a lot of people think that that shouldn't make a difference, and I can see where they're coming from, but the team needs young leaders to step up. Back in 2001-2004, there were a lot of older guys who weren't around all the time for the same reasons that Brady isn't now. Brady is coming off of an MVP season, so I think we should all be able to agree that he's doing plenty.

Rivers, Sanchez, Manning, and Roethliesberger have ALL already had their guys out on local high school or college fields, running through drills and practicing...These teams are WAY AHEAD of the Pats already...WTF?

Supposedly Sanchez already has the NYJ offense installed....

Why is Tom Terrific waiting so long?

RELAX PATS FANS JUST KIDDING :D

let's go Bruins....

seriously? my boy rivers did something positive?

i hadn't heard about it, cause the media seems to have an embargo on reporting anything positive about philip rivers lol

i hadn't heard about it, cause the media seems to have an embargo on reporting anything positive about philip rivers lol

Don't worry about it. That's just due to the tiny Chargers fanbase.

In the past, Brady consistently won the award for off season work outs. He seemed to be the one pushing his team mates and holding them accountable.
And you know this used to happen and doesnt happen now how?
If you seriously think BB would ever use the parking spot award on the GOAT QB at this stage in his career you need to learn something about motivational techniques.

Don't you think he brings that on himself by being an arrogant *****?
I'm not criticizing him, I'm saying the media write good things about players and coaches they like and tend to ignore those they don't.
Although winning something might do wonders for his image too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back