PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Borges 'Retires" From Globe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Dhamz may have uncovered what will happen, folks.

Think about it -- Callahan's voice is shot and EEI has been doing daily tryouts for his job.

Get ready for "Ronny in the Morning"! And this time he will have no editors.

This could be like one of those horror movies, when you think the monster has been killed, but he rises again more gruesome and angry than ever.

There is a difference between being "controversial" and being outright hated. I don't see this happening. Keep in mind that it also would place Borges even closer to the Patriots on Patriots Monday, interviewing Brady on the air, etc.

Having Borges gone from the Globe is a great thing and promises at least balanced writing on the Patriots, which readers should have a right to expect. No matter what else he does from now on, he has marginalized himself regarding Pats coverage by stepping out of that spotlight. This is a good day for Patriots fans everywhere.

If the Pats and Sox are playing well, if the Celtics win the lottery people will listen regardless of who is on the air. When are EEI's overall ratings the highest? When one of the local teams is doing well. From the fall of 2003-January of 2005 WEEI shattered many local and national ratings numbers because of the success of the local teams.

It won't matter if Ron is doing the morning drive or if you and I are doing it. People will listen if the team is doing well.
you may want to listen to him but i wont and it has nothing to do with how good the teams are, weei is nothing but red sox talk if you enjoy that great, all the power to you

It was that second finding of plaguerism that did it. He was forced to resign or get fired. Good riddance.

you may want to listen to him but i wont and it has nothing to do with how good the teams are, weei is nothing but red sox talk if you enjoy that great, all the power to you

A few things:

1. No doubt that the Sox dominate WEEI (and the Celtics will get some play as they will be heard on WEEI this winter). I wish they talked more Pats than just the obligatory Friday/Monday.

2. Borges likely still has an in on ESPN Radio w/Felger. It is far more likely he stays there where he can bash the Pats with an ally than go to a station where he would have to defend himself.

3. People whined about Ted Sirandis, and they listened. People complain about the saturday morning "yankee" show but they listen. People complain about D&C, yet they are the highest rated morning show in Boston. If the teams are doing well, people will listen.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!!! The scumbag finally got what was coming to him!!! For the first time in actually a couple of years, I'm going to buy the Globe. Just so I can frame that article. :rocker:

A few things:

1. No doubt that the Sox dominate WEEI (and the Celtics will get some play as they will be heard on WEEI this winter). I wish they talked more Pats than just the obligatory Friday/Monday.

2. Borges likely still has an in on ESPN Radio w/Felger. It is far more likely he stays there where he can bash the Pats with an ally than go to a station where he would have to defend himself.

3. People whined about Ted Sirandis, and they listened. People complain about the saturday morning "yankee" show but they listen. People complain about D&C, yet they are the highest rated morning show in Boston. If the teams are doing well, people will listen.
the problem is he sounds like a broken record and it gets old and boring plus he has zero creditabiliy , if he makes a living bashing the pats shame on us for listening and arguing with the idiot, thats my pont

the problem is he sounds like a broken record and it gets old and boring plus he has zero creditabiliy , if he makes a living bashing the pats shame on us for listening and arguing with the idiot, thats my pont

THAT I agree with.

My point was simply, people will listen to sports radio if the sports teams are doing well, regardless of who is on the air. You are right,, though. Shame on us for listening if he is the on air personality.

I think this is one of the most interesting aspects of the whole thing. When a journalist is caught plagiarizing, he is suspended while the paper combs over his whole body of work making sure there's nothing else there to embarrass them. (They MUST do this, since in the networked age they know that a hundred amateurs are out there doing the same.) Most, like Barnicle, end up getting the hook. Not Borges. So he presumable checked out pretty clean...surprising, under the circumstances.

Cheaper, you betcha. But better light? Look at the difference in buzz and eyeballs they would get for a typical Borges article vs., say, a Christopher Gasper piece. When a Borges or Shaughnessy goes off, that's a thousand messageboard posts and hours of sportstalk airtime all pointing at the Globe.

He's BAAAAACK!!! Personally, though, I don't care. I'm not so interested in seeing Borges suffer or even disappear, I just want to see better coverage of my team in the Globe. I'm a NIMBY on this -- feel free to dump your garbage, just not in my morning paper.

I think otherwise. Look at it this way. Borges has a lot of allies/knows where the bodies are buried at the Globe.

They confront him with the results of their search. Do you want to go to the wall on this Ron? Or:

We'll let you write one last column then you can "resign"?

Barnicle couldn't believe he got canned, but with his example, Ron sees the handwriting on the wall and "resigns".

I think this is one of the most interesting aspects of the whole thing. When a journalist is caught plagiarizing, he is suspended while the paper combs over his whole body of work making sure there's nothing else there to embarrass them. (They MUST do this, since in the networked age they know that a hundred amateurs are out there doing the same.) Most, like Barnicle, end up getting the hook. Not Borges. So he presumable checked out pretty clean...surprising, under the circumstances.

Cheaper, you betcha. But better light? Look at the difference in buzz and eyeballs they would get for a typical Borges article vs., say, a Christopher Gasper piece. When a Borges or Shaughnessy goes off, that's a thousand messageboard posts and hours of sportstalk airtime all pointing at the Globe.

He's BAAAAACK!!! Personally, though, I don't care. I'm not so interested in seeing Borges suffer or even disappear, I just want to see better coverage of my team in the Globe. I'm a NIMBY on this -- feel free to dump your garbage, just not in my morning paper.
if you believe he actaully retired on his own, i bet you still belive in santa claus

Bye-bye Bogus! Years ago, he wasn't a bad writer, but for the last 5 years or so his biased writing has been painful to read. I hope the Pats don't even issue media credentials to him. Why have him around?

By the way, Chris Gasper at the Globe has done a nice job filling in. Hopefully he gets to keep the gig as #2, since Reiss now gets the well-deserved promotion to #1. (Officially, that is. Those of us on this board have regarded Reiss as #1 in town for a few years now).

Globe sports editor Joe Sullivan, ''Ron has made a major contribution to the sports pages of the Globe. His independent voice will be missed.''
Independent?!? Seems like he was dependent on a lot of things... (a) other writers; (b) great coaches to try to bring down... others?

The funniest thing would be to hear him on Ordway's EEI show with Smerlas and Sheppard. Just to see whose head exploded first.

Smerlas and Borges are all friends - its all about ratings and Im sure Fatway is trying to get Ronnie on his show this week.

Wow, when I took part in getting him suspended I wasn't sure if he'd eventually get fired or not. I thought maybe he could, and for a little while I felt bad about possibly getting him fired.

Now, that I've had some time to think about the situation I'm perfectly fine with everything that went down. Borges brought it on himself, and if he hadn't plagiarized our attempts to get him suspended/fired wouldn't have mattered. He's technically retiring from his position with the Globe, so we didn't technically get him fired, but this "retiring" is obviously directly related to us getting him suspended.

I wonder if he's still going to cover the Patriots?

When we were sitting on metal benches week after week watching a 2 - 14 team in 92 he was the only one ripping management for all the crap decisions that were being made. All the other writers were covering the Red Sox.

And he is the same guy ripping managment for all the crap decisions when they were 14-2.

I remember him on the old Andlemen 1510 show and he called BB a glorified gym teacher. I would agree that in the larger scheme of things (education, war, medicine, etc), sports isn't that important. But if BB is a glorified gym teacher, what does that make the reporter covering him?

THAT I agree with.

My point was simply, people will listen to sports radio if the sports teams are doing well, regardless of who is on the air. You are right,, though. Shame on us for listening if he is the on air personality.
I do NOT listen to D&C...nor do I listen to felger for more than a few minutes at a time..I have found it is rather pleasant without the stupidity filling my brain...

About time! There's only so much snake venom and lies that you can listen too. I was trying to avoid reading the globe because of guys like Borges! Now that Reiss is probably the only likely Pats reporter for the globe I can read it in good conscience again.

Last edited:
Good times, good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye