PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Borges 'Retires" From Globe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Misperceptions!

A lot of misinformation/misperceptions in this thread.

First, noone mentioned the Oscar De La Hoya incident... seems to me that was the key here, the plagiarism had been caught and punished and was over. But when Borges, still on suspension, wrote for De La Hoya's website and excused it as OK because he was writing for free, it became too blatently ethically questionable for the Globe to ignore and they probably hinted he should retire.

Secondly, Borges does not automatically lose his Hall of Fame elector status. As long as he lands somewhere else and continues to cover the NFL he retains his HOF vote. That includes writing nationally, e.g. for MSNBC (though I thought I heard that due to all this MSNBC might cut their ties with him too). If you don't believe me, look at this list of Hall of fame electors. Each NFL team gets an elector. Seattle? John Clayton, ESPN. Atlanta? Len Pasquarelli, ESPN. NY Jets? Paul Zimmerman, Sports Illustrated. Oaklans? Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange (whatever that is). S.F.? Ira Miller, The Sports Xchange. And there are eight at-large appointments, too.

So unless Ronnie wants to give up the NFL, he may well stay as Boston's representative. But since it seems like football is a job to him but boxing is his passion, he might just give up covering the NFL. Or maybe the pro football writers will feel he is tainted and will pressure him. But it's not at all certain.

actually......he's leaving to head up North Korea's counterfeit money operation.

Unfortunately, he's also now polluting the local cable airwaves, on CN8's "Out of Bounds" nightly sports news program, as the occasional representative from the Boston market. I was wondering why he starting showing up, all-of-a-sudden.

Thinking about the whole series of events, it must have gone down like this:

- Globe suspends Borges
- Borges is SERIOUSLY wounded, outraged, etc.
- Borges decides to quit in a huff. But...
- He realizes that if he quits under those circumstances, it will look like he was fired rather than stalking off. (Everyone would assume it was one of those phony "accepted the resignation of" deals.) So...
- Borges decides to hold his tongue, bide his time and return from suspension to write one long, strong, well-researched article about the Patriots as a kissoff. Then kisses off.

We should have realized he'd never really come back to the Globe. Would you want to return to an employer who (rightly or wrongly) publicly humiliated you?

Buh-bye, Ron.

Or else he was allowed to create the appearance of that.

Or else he was allowed to stay, but under limitations he would chafe at.

I have to think the Globe is very happy to replace him with cheaper talent that works harder and will show them in a better light. Especially the "cheaper" part.

Ron is a great writer...I cant wait to see the real stories with the Pats now!

Watch out, Krafty!

Good riddance...nuff said!

No more rancid email exchanges, no more slanted articles on BB, not more hatred for this team.. as a national writer he cannot only focus here, but on other stories, maybe he can cover Cincinatti and the choir boys.. he can move to Montana and chronicle the Drew Bledsoe Story.. that seems to have been his dream.. there is no sadness here, wonder who will take his spot.. I hope Reiss gets his slot.

But his new pursuit MAY be here and even stronger...so just because he's NOT going to be with the Globe doesn't meean he is gone....AND his Hall of Fame vote stays with him..I think...

I thinkl you have to be a football writter in order to get it.

I could be the voter. I am from Manchester, England, which isn't all that far from Boston, England (cough!), and I have written about Football. :D

Good riddance to allegedly bad trash.

When we were sitting on metal benches week after week watching a 2 - 14 team in 92 he was the only one ripping management for all the crap decisions that were being made. All the other writers were covering the Red Sox.
so why does he ripp them when the krafts buy the team and transforms into the best franchise in sports? your point makes no sense

Borges won't be writing for the Gobe, which is no doubt a good thing.

But if you think he is going away, you are going to be very disappointed. He won't be giving up his HOF vote. If anything, he is going to be more of a presence in Boston sports now that he can appear on WEEI (the Globe does not allow employees to appear on the station).

If I had to guess, the next step for Borges will be as a sports radio talk show host - perhaps the morning guy on WEEI if the rumors of Dennis and Callahan moving down the dial for bigger $ are true.

But if you think he is going away, you are going to be very disappointed. He won't be giving up his HOF vote. If anything, he is going to be more of a presence in Boston sports now that he can appear on WEEI (the Globe does not allow employees to appear on the station).

If I had to guess, the next step for Borges will be as a sports radio talk show host - perhaps the morning guy on WEEI if the rumors of Dennis and Callahan moving down the dial for bigger $ are true.
radio is about ratings, he is hated in this region that eqauls bad rating and no radio gig

I think Dhamz may have uncovered what will happen, folks.

Think about it -- Callahan's voice is shot and EEI has been doing daily tryouts for his job.

Get ready for "Ronny in the Morning"! And this time he will have no editors.

This could be like one of those horror movies, when you think the monster has been killed, but he rises again more gruesome and angry than ever.

If they'd kick his ass off of the Patriot's pregame and off of Felger's football show I'd be really happy. The fact that he's not writing for the globe means nothing. We'll still hear him on the radio and see his ugly mug on TV.

I think Dhamz may have uncovered what will happen, folks.

Think about it -- Callahan's voice is shot and EEI has been doing daily tryouts for his job.

Get ready for "Ronny in the Morning"! And this time he will have no editors.

This could be like one of those horror movies, when you think the monster has been killed, but he rises again more gruesome and angry than ever.
only fools will listen, people with no life

radio is about ratings, he is hated in this region that eqauls bad rating and no radio gig

If the Pats and Sox are playing well, if the Celtics win the lottery people will listen regardless of who is on the air. When are EEI's overall ratings the highest? When one of the local teams is doing well. From the fall of 2003-January of 2005 WEEI shattered many local and national ratings numbers because of the success of the local teams.

It won't matter if Ron is doing the morning drive or if you and I are doing it. People will listen if the team is doing well.

You forgot researchers everywhere start searching his archives for more examples of plagiarism.

Buddies at Globe let him come back and "retire" rather than go through the Barnicle treatment.

Plagiarists don't do it just once!

I think this is one of the most interesting aspects of the whole thing. When a journalist is caught plagiarizing, he is suspended while the paper combs over his whole body of work making sure there's nothing else there to embarrass them. (They MUST do this, since in the networked age they know that a hundred amateurs are out there doing the same.) Most, like Barnicle, end up getting the hook. Not Borges. So he presumable checked out pretty clean...surprising, under the circumstances.

I have to think the Globe is very happy to replace him with cheaper talent that works harder and will show them in a better light. Especially the "cheaper" part.

Cheaper, you betcha. But better light? Look at the difference in buzz and eyeballs they would get for a typical Borges article vs., say, a Christopher Gasper piece. When a Borges or Shaughnessy goes off, that's a thousand messageboard posts and hours of sportstalk airtime all pointing at the Globe.

He's BAAAAACK!!! Personally, though, I don't care. I'm not so interested in seeing Borges suffer or even disappear, I just want to see better coverage of my team in the Globe. I'm a NIMBY on this -- feel free to dump your garbage, just not in my morning paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back