PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Borges 'Retires" From Globe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't it make MORE sense if
the Globe, not the plagiarist, is the offended and angry party ...
but the employer ... sensitive, compassionate, and progressive as it yearns to be ...
arranges to minimize the humiliation to its cherished gadfly

I was just speculating wildly, so anything's possible. FWIW, though, as a writer I think the difference in humiliation level between getting fired for plagiarism and getting a long, publicized suspension for plagiarism is pretty negligible.

Borges retires from Globe
By Globe Staff | May 18, 2007

Ron Borges, an award-winning journalist with the Boston Globe for 24 years, is leaving the paper to pursue new projects in sports journalism, he announced today.

" but I am excited to step back from the demands of daily sportswriting to try my hand at longer-range projects and other forums,'' said Borges[/B];) [/SIZE]

Copy that. Rumor has Ron joining Milli as a replacement for the deceased Vanilli.

I'd love to sing the ding dong song, but I guess I'm missing how exactly he's going to disappear--couldn't he remain just as much as an annoyance?

If nothing else though, he loses the HOF vote, that is good karma.

Churchbells ring throughout New England!

The Borges era is OVER!
OVER
OVER
OVER
OVER
OVER
OVER
OVER
OVER
OVER

Amen. The mass is over. Let us go in peace.

Ding..Dong...the witch is dead.....the wicked witch

is dead!

I disagreed with 95% of the stuff Borges said but he was a must read in the globe. I have battled it out with him on and off the radio numorus times. What pisses me off is that he let his personal grudges get in the way of his writing. I respected that he was willing to not always tote the Patriots mail.

Are you sure Borges loses his vote. That would be great.

Each NFL city gets one vote from the leading paper that covers the team. Usually the voters have been covering the team for years (like Will McDonough for example). I don't see how Borges can continue to vote for NE if he isn't working for a local paper. I'm afraid they'll give it to Jackie MacMullan due to Reiss's relative inexperience. Although Bob Ryan may be a possibility, even though he's not really a football guy.

If he loses a vote Tippet can kiss his HOF goodbye

Each NFL city gets one vote from the leading paper that covers the team. Usually the voters have been covering the team for years (like Will McDonough for example). I don't see how Borges can continue to vote for NE if he isn't working for a local paper. I'm afraid they'll give it to Jackie MacMullan due to Reiss's relative inexperience. Although Bob Ryan may be a possibility, even though he's not really a football guy.
I thinkl you have to be a football writter in order to get it.

Thinking about the whole series of events, it must have gone down like this:

- Globe suspends Borges
- Borges is SERIOUSLY wounded, outraged, etc.
- Borges decides to quit in a huff. But...
- He realizes that if he quits under those circumstances, it will look like he was fired rather than stalking off. (Everyone would assume it was one of those phony "accepted the resignation of" deals.) So...
- Borges decides to hold his tongue, bide his time and return from suspension to write one long, strong, well-researched article about the Patriots as a kissoff. Then kisses off.

We should have realized he'd never really come back to the Globe. Would you want to return to an employer who (rightly or wrongly) publicly humiliated you?

Buh-bye, Ron.

You forgot researchers everywhere start searching his archives for more examples of plagiarism.

Buddies at Globe let him come back and "retire" rather than go through the Barnicle treatment.

Plagiarists don't do it just once!

We should have realized he'd never really come back to the Globe. Would you want to return to an employer who (rightly or wrongly) publicly humiliated you?

Your talking about a guy who slammed the Seymour pick, then sucked up to him when his contract was up.

A guy who got in a public fight with a senior citizen cripple. Ronnies been humiliating himself for years.

The Globe allowed him a somewhat graceful exit.

I thinkl you have to be a football writter in order to get it.

Well Borges wasn't classified as one until he got the privilege to vote for the HOF. MacMullan and Ryan both occasionally write about football. MacMullan had her exclusive with TJ not too long ago and Bob Ryan in the past few months has written about Darryl Stingley and the Colts-Bears SB. I think either one of them would jump at the chance to get an HOF vote even if it means they are promoted to "football writer."

borges see ya your a ahole nice knowing you!!!!!!!!!!

Borges retires from Globe
By Globe Staff | May 18, 2007

Ron Borges, an award-winning journalist with the Boston Globe for 24 years, is leaving the paper to pursue new projects in sports journalism, he announced today.

Boston.com
Sign up for: Globe Headlines e-mail | Breaking News Alerts ''I've enjoyed using the forum the Globe has provided me over two decades, but I am excited to step back from the demands of daily sportswriting to try my hand at longer-range projects and other forums,'' said Borges, who is writing a book about the NFL and will continue his work as a radio and television commentator.

Said Globe sports editor Joe Sullivan, ''Ron has made a major contribution to the sports pages of the Globe. His independent voice will be missed.''

Borges covered the NFL and boxing most recently for the Globe.

LYIN' ??? Ronnie must have been told he was fired, or he could resign....
;)
he realizes the patriots will dominate the next 2 years and he will look like a idiot, hes not as dumb as we thought

I disagreed with 95% of the stuff Borges said but he was a must read in the globe. I have battled it out with him on and off the radio numorus times. What pisses me off is that he let his personal grudges get in the way of his writing. I respected that he was willing to not always tote the Patriots mail.
get over it

...and the GREATEST off season in Patriots history continues...

This is GREAT NEWS. Can this off-season get any beter?:) :rocker:

get over it

When we were sitting on metal benches week after week watching a 2 - 14 team in 92 he was the only one ripping management for all the crap decisions that were being made. All the other writers were covering the Red Sox.

*wipes tear from eyes*

Oh happy day.. oh happy day..!

This is GREAT NEWS. Can this off-season get any beter?:) :rocker:

Felger to get fired or quit would be better.

Seriously though. I will not miss Borges one bit. I don't like controversial articles like the ones Borges wrote only because of that fact like many mentioned. I felt some of it was fabricated with Ron's personal feelings as the driving force behind them. That's not sports writing, I felt more like I was reading 5th graders hate notes. The kind they would pass back and forth in a classroom.

We have enough controversy with Shaughnessy <{Shirly Temple} writing about the Sox in New England. There just wasn't enough room for so many Pavaratzis waiting for the chain to break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News