Borges Claims Branch Again Being Coerced Into $6m Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoLewisrocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, the inhumanity...

"Jason Chayut , who represents Branch... has been trying to negotiate an extension for Branch that reflects he has outplayed the value of his rookie contract. Branch is the team's No. 1 receiver yet will earn only $1.045 million this year. And he will make that much only because he hit an escalator clause based on yardage that added $500,000 to his base salary.

This offseason Antwaan Randle El, who is the definition of a No. 2 receiver, signed a $31 million deal with Washington that included an $11.5 million signing bonus. David Givens, who was New England's No. 2 receiver behind Branch for four seasons, signed a five-year, $24 million deal with the Titans that included an $8 million bonus. Branch will earn barely 20 percent of what Givens will receive.

What New England has offered Branch, according to a source within the organization, was either a five- or three-year deal that averages just over $6 million. Chayut says the average was more like $5.6 million a year. For perspective, a wide receiver hit with the franchise tag this season would receive $6.172 million, the average of the top five salaries at the position. That number will increase next year, probably to around $7 million, thus putting Branch below the game's elite receivers if he accepted New England's offer."

Gee, how unfair for a guy who has yet to crack 1000 yards...

"The team argues that if Branch does nothing and is franchised next year, as he likely would be, he'd average around $4 million for two seasons instead of the $6 million under their proposal.

But Chayut counters with a powerful argument: ``Just because the rules say you can exploit somebody doesn't mean you have to do it."

Excuse me Jason....Just do it BB. Sounds like a great deal for the team. And if it really insults him, tag and trade him to Washington so he can get Snyder to overpay him too.

"Chayut argues Branch was coerced into signing the five-year deal when he was drafted in 2002 after they had reached ``an agreement in principle" with the Patriots' chief negotiator, Jack Mula, on a four-year contract. The sides had not yet finalized the amount of his signing bonus but they were ``pretty close," according to Chayut, when Mula called with what he termed ``bad news."

Branch had agreed to work out with the team before the signing. According to Chayut, ``[Mula said] Deion had looked so good they wanted a five-year deal. The four-year deal was off the table. It was five years, take it or leave it.

`` What leverage did Deion have? Was a second-round draft choice of the Super Bowl champions going to hold out? He had no choice but to sign."

Oh boy, and look how that screwed him. He's only one of two players with 2 rings from his draft class, not to mention a Superbowl MVP on his resume courtesy of playing with Brady. What's the going rate for a WR with Deions stats and durablilty issues minus those rings, Jason...

"According to Chayut, he asked the team to guarantee it would not franchise Branch next year in exchange for an on-time arrival at camp and participation in all offseason activities. The team refused."

Bravo, Bill. It stops here.

``We can debate his value to the team," Chayut said. ``What can't be debated is how he was exploited. They've gotten away with lowballing players for a long time and it's starting to bite them in the [rear]. [Richard] Seymour held out. Others are leaving. Deion is not happy. That's why the league and the union changed the rules. To protect young players like Deion. He won't be exploited again."

Branch is trying to decide what his next move will be. He had, according to several teammates, decided he would follow Seymour's example and hold out, but that was when the cost was one-third of what it now will be. If he were to hold out for even 10 days he would surrender more than 10 percent of his salary. If it were to last throughout training camp, he would have lost $630,000, more than 60 percent of his present deal. Now that's coercion."

Thank's Richard, that was some great leadership you exercised last summer. Now a 5'9" WR who can't beat double teams or crack a thousand yards thinks a $6M per contract offer vs. a $14,000 dollar a day holdout fine equals being coerced.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/07/23/receiver_is_getting_jammed/

Last edited:
MoLewisrocks said:
Oh, the inhumanity...

"Jason Chayut , who represents Branch... has been trying to negotiate an extension for Branch that reflects he has outplayed the value of his rookie contract. Branch is the team's No. 1 receiver yet will earn only $1.045 million this year. And he will make that much only because he hit an escalator clause based on yardage that added $500,000 to his base salary.

This offseason Antwaan Randle El, who is the definition of a No. 2 receiver, signed a $31 million deal with Washington that included an $11.5 million signing bonus. David Givens, who was New England's No. 2 receiver behind Branch for four seasons, signed a five-year, $24 million deal with the Titans that included an $8 million bonus. Branch will earn barely 20 percent of what Givens will receive.

What New England has offered Branch, according to a source within the organization, was either a five- or three-year deal that averages just over $6 million. Chayut says the average was more like $5.6 million a year. For perspective, a wide receiver hit with the franchise tag this season would receive $6.172 million, the average of the top five salaries at the position. That number will increase next year, probably to around $7 million, thus putting Branch below the game's elite receivers if he accepted New England's offer."

Gee, how unfair for a guy who has yet to crack 1000 yards...

"The team argues that if Branch does nothing and is franchised next year, as he likely would be, he'd average around $4 million for two seasons instead of the $6 million under their proposal.

But Chayut counters with a powerful argument: ``Just because the rules say you can exploit somebody doesn't mean you have to do it."

Excuse me Jason....Just do it BB. Sounds like a great deal for the team. And if it really insults him, tag and trade him to Washington so he can get Snyder to overpay him too.

"Chayut argues Branch was coerced into signing the five-year deal when he was drafted in 2002 after they had reached ``an agreement in principle" with the Patriots' chief negotiator, Jack Mula, on a four-year contract. The sides had not yet finalized the amount of his signing bonus but they were ``pretty close," according to Chayut, when Mula called with what he termed ``bad news."

Branch had agreed to work out with the team before the signing. According to Chayut, ``[Mula said] Deion had looked so good they wanted a five-year deal. The four-year deal was off the table. It was five years, take it or leave it.

`` What leverage did Deion have? Was a second-round draft choice of the Super Bowl champions going to hold out? He had no choice but to sign."

Oh boy, and look how that screwed him. He's only one of two players with 2 rings from his draft class, not to mention a Superbowl MVP on his resume courtesy of playing with Brady. What's the going rate for a WR with Deions stats and durablilty issues minus those rings, Jason...

"According to Chayut, he asked the team to guarantee it would not franchise Branch next year in exchange for an on-time arrival at camp and participation in all offseason activities. The team refused."

Bravo, Bill. It stops here.

``We can debate his value to the team," Chayut said. ``What can't be debated is how he was exploited. They've gotten away with lowballing players for a long time and it's starting to bite them in the [rear]. [Richard] Seymour held out. Others are leaving. Deion is not happy. That's why the league and the union changed the rules. To protect young players like Deion. He won't be exploited again."

Branch is trying to decide what his next move will be. He had, according to several teammates, decided he would follow Seymour's example and hold out, but that was when the cost was one-third of what it now will be. If he were to hold out for even 10 days he would surrender more than 10 percent of his salary. If it were to last throughout training camp, he would have lost $630,000, more than 60 percent of his present deal. Now that's coercion."

Thank's Richard, that was some great leadership you exercised last summer. Now a 5'9" WR who can't beat double teams or crack a thousand yards thinks a $6M per contract offer vs. a $14,000 dollar a day holdout fine equals being coerced.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/07/23/receiver_is_getting_jammed/

Mo I don't blame Richard for this as much as I blame the agent. The agent claims that the Pats coerced Branch into signing a 5 year deal after they agreed on a 4 year deal. Bull****! They didn't have to sign that deal. Branch could have held out and went back into the draft. I didn't hear a single complaint all these years until now. :rolleyes:
And this agent continues to hurt his client by trying to whine and negotiate in the media. The last agent to do that was the Postons. How did that work out for them? He is going to get the silent treatment now, IMO. The Patriots don't negotiate contracts in the media.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree..the humanity of it all!!!!! Really..please!!! Just get back to reality here..he was a stretch as a 2nd rounder..and has certainly played quite good, BUT...as was pointed out, so so UNFAIR!!! I think many players wish to be treated that unfairly...really!! I stand with the Pats on this one..he's NO Seymour..and that is a bottom line..maybe he is thinking his holdout will help, BUT?? I won't bat an eyelash if he doesn't show.. Want to be overpayed?? Washington..please..or some other loser franchise!! Teh green grass goes sour VERY quickly. I totally agree!!

This stuff drives me nuts. Branch is not among the league's "elite" receivers -- at least, not yet. He's the best we have, but he is no world-beater and does not deserve more than what the Pats are offering. Anything in the neighborhood of $5 million to $6 million a year for this guy is damn generous. If he's smart he'll take the money now and run as fast as he can to the nearest bank, because Chad Jackson is onboard and just might end up stealing some of the Twig's thunder.

Last edited by a moderator:
If his agent thinks somehow fans are going to be sympathetic to Branch, he is mistaken. Mankins and graham got five year deal, why didn't he get Branch a 4 year deal? Now he says they were coerced. For "outplaying" his rookie deal when he becomes a FA he has the right to leave and get the best deal for himself.

BB should threaten to suspend him for the year, this is the only way to stop this
forced reworking of existing contracts.

Branch is good. I like him.
Givens is good. I like him too.

Doesn't mean we should have matched Tennessee's overpricing of David.
Doesn't mean the Patriots should pay Deion more than 6 million.

I've actually thought that his proper value was closer to 5.5.
So if he can get 6 ... he oughta grab it.

But i'd like to learn why Piolichick let Tim Dwight ... and his nominal pricetag ... slip away.

Tunescribe said:
This stuff drives me nuts. Branch is not among the league's "elite" receivers -- at least, not yet. He's the best we have, but he is no world-beater and does not deserve more than what the Pats are offering. Anything in the neighborhood of $5 million to $6 million a year for this guy is damn generous. If he's smart he'll take the money now and run as fast as he can to the nearest bank, because Chad Jackson is onboard and just might end up stealing some of the Twig's thunder.
Absolutely...
he isn't near the top ten..and that is NOT at all looking at him in a different light..he just is NOT elite..not yet!! Seymour, Brady ARE in that elite and that is why there is a difference..This is his new agent..and from what I see with this whining, he's a Poston wannabee...if even that. Whinings like that
in the media do not help him one bit...they just show how poor a position he is in even more so. Borges always with an ax against the Patriots and is a good place to go, but anyone with much football savvy of the cap and of salaries in general can see through all of this. I agree..he should take the money..and I agree it IS very generous. Better do it quick..his value may be diminishing...

flutie2phelan said:
But i'd like to learn why Piolichick let Tim Dwight ... and his nominal pricetag ... slip away.

I agree. Dwight had versatility and helped in the kicking game. I was sorry to see him go.

flutie2phelan said:

Durability, I think. Dwight ended up lost for the season because of a punctured lung . . . twice, I think.

Personally, I'm just hoping that Willie Andrews makes us all forget about Dwightning (and Jeremy Bloom, too). :)

Last edited:
MoLewisrocks said:
This offseason Antwaan Randle El, who is the definition of a No. 2 receiver, signed a $31 million deal with Washington that included an $11.5 million signing bonus.

Holy Hyperbole Batman! What an overstatement. Randle-El is, at best, a number 3 receiver. The fact that Snyder overpaid for his services doesn't elevate his ability.

Randle-El the "definition" of a number 2?! Ridiculous.

35 receptions and 1 (one!) touchdown in 2005.

It's outrageous contracts like Randle-El's that throw a monkey-wrench in negotiations across the league.

Wow, a non-elite wide out not getting paid elite money. How terrible.

I would really like to know what is going through the agenst head at the point. because clearly rational though is not it. The patriots used a wise move by getting draft picks to longer contracts so they could have more time to develop and use them before the left via free agency. The man got more money in the deal because it was longer, stop whining about it now. You will be a free agent next year, if you want the elite money, better start producing at that level.

I hate this constant, Patriots low balling offers. They offer them contracts that measure up to the players value to the team. And they don't play the enron accounting game with lots of phantom dollars in the deal. That is honest offers instead of the BS contracts you see teams like the Skins giving out.

I thought you meant $6M total. 3 or 5 years averaging $6M ? Poor baby. He should just take a 3 year deal along those lines and, like Seymour, be a UFA again while still in his prime. I've always liked Branch but this is why Tedy and Harrison are my favorite Patriots. Tedy really did take less than he could have got and Harrison wanted to hold out but couldn't get himself to do it - of course to be fair to Branch he hasn't missed a day of training camo yet.

Tunescribe said:
I agree. Dwight had versatility and helped in the kicking game. I was sorry to see him go.

I think the $750k signing bonus he got from NY was a bit on the high side.

pats1 said:
I think the $750k signing bonus he got from NY was a bit on the high side.
Wasn't the Dwight deal 4 years??? I think THAT was more the reason why he wasn't signed here...

if Borges says its bad then its good. if he says its good then its bad. Borges is George Costanza.

Pats726 said:
Wasn't the Dwight deal 4 years??? I think THAT was more the reason why he wasn't signed here...

Indeed. 4 years @ 4.2 mil.

PFT's repsonse is classic. :D

POSTED 5:30 a.m. EDT; UPDATED 6:30 a.m. EDT, July 23, 2006
UPSHAW SLAMS PATS

Now that it appears that NFLPA executive director has roughly the same chance as yours truly of being named the next Commissioner of the NFL, he can go back to periodically pissing off one or more of the NFL powers that be.

For starters, Gene is aiming high.

Upshaw tells confirmed Pats hater Ron Borges of the Boston Globe that recent changes to the CBA limiting the length of contracts were the direct result of the behavior of the team owned by increasingly powerful owner Bob Kraft.

"That was New England's doing," Upshaw told Borges. "They were the ones who started forcing these guys to sign long-term deals. Other teams followed and it got ridiculous. These kids had no leverage. They were being forced to give away free agency. A guy like Branch would have been a free agent this year [under the new rules]."

First of all, our recollection is that the Browns and Bears were cramming long-term deals down draft picks' throats at the same time, or possibly before, the Pats started doing it. Though our time line isn't completely clear, the Patriots didn't blaze this trail.

Second, what the hell is wrong with operating within the framework of collectively bargained rules? The real blame here falls to the union for not having the foresight to realize that one or more of the 32 businesses otherwise known as NFL teams might have someone sufficiently smart and/or creative to figure out how to work the system to which the NFLPA agreed.

Third, the players have leverage when it comes to signing their rookie deals. They can withhold their services. Or they can sign a series of one-year tenders until they become eligible for free agency and assume the risk that they'll get hurt or that they won't be any good. Under the current system, the team assumes much of that risk via the signing bonus, which doesn't get refunded if the guys turns out to be busts.

Borges addresses this topic as part of his ongoing quest to get Pats receiver Deion Branch paid. Toward this end, Branch's agent, Jason Chayut, offers up what we believe to be one of the most naive, asinine comments we've ever seen.

"Just because the rules say you can exploit somebody doesn't mean you have to do it," Chayut said.

Hey, Jason -- keep that in mind the next time you have a client who got $5 million guaranteed under his rookie deal and who proceeded to suck shards of glass through a straw. The rules say that he gets to keep the bonus money.

But just because the rules say you can keep money you don't deserve doesn't mean you have to do it.

This is, after all, a business. And the league and the union have created a set of rules within which business will get done. Under those rules, there will be some situations in which the team gets screwed, and there will be some situations in which the player gets screwed.

When it happens, the folks who truly "get it" don't cry about it. They simply continue to go about their business.

I wish someone would coerce me into a 6 million dollar deal.

What was our buddy Wrong Borges saying about Branch when the Pats drafted the relative unknown Branch in the second round back in '02?

Stuff like this is typical of that Chode.

Deion ought to take Jerry Rice's advice and be there for the team. He's only going to hurt himself by sitting out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News