PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Borges Claims Branch Again Being Coerced Into $6m Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna put Branch's agent right up there with Tom Condon and the Postons. A total jerkoff.

What the hell is he doing, slamming the Pats in the media? Way to get a deal done, turdbrain!

This whole Gene Upshaw tirade is because of Tom Condon, famous for being dumped by Ben Watson since he wouldn't sign a 6 year deal with the Pats even though Watson was okay with it. Condon, in a huge power play on behalf of greedy agents, had become Upshaw's confidant when negotiating all of these rule changes in the recent union negotiations. All of Upshaw's venom is likely to be coming straight out of Condon's mouth, with all these cute little 'Patriots Clauses' in the new contract, which essentially limit a team's choices in signing their untrained, unproven rookie employees.

Tom Condon makes the Postons look like Cinderella. Upshaw and Chayut are just following the yellow brick road that Condon lay out to deal with the Pats.

Murphys95 said:
Holy Hyperbole Batman! What an overstatement. Randle-El is, at best, a number 3 receiver. The fact that Snyder overpaid for his services doesn't elevate his ability.

Randle-El the "definition" of a number 2?! Ridiculous.

35 receptions and 1 (one!) touchdown in 2005.

It's outrageous contracts like Randle-El's that throw a monkey-wrench in negotiations across the league.
The difference is Randle-El can play QB sometimes.He's a WR/QB IMO.

Last edited:
Deion got a million dollar signing bonus because he was drafted in the second round AND signed a 5 year deal. He also got the same minimum salaries all the other rookies in his draft class agreed to. But to sweeten the deal his agent at the time got him $3M in incentives for his 5th year provided he met certain performance requirements in his first four years, the most basic of which was 900+ yards receiving.

As fate would have it Deion didn't make that yardage until year 4. As a result he ONLY earned a half a million extra in the 5th and final season. I guess the fact that he was injured in 2004 and still couldn't beat double teams by 2005 when his QB led the league in passing yardage playing with a badly wounded running game, just didn't cut it. So instead of making the protective $3.5M he could have earned this year as an elite WR as part of his coerced deal, he is left to choose between playing for a mere million and a shot at FA or a franchise tag (including tag and trade if he squawks for it) or $6M a year for the next 3 or 5 years (with signing bonus relative to length of contract obviously), or he can sit home at $14,000 a day a whine about how he's been coerced and screwed.

Sorry, this isn't coercion. And if he decides to roll the dice and thumb his nose at what the team is reportedly offering he loses all right to cry foul if some disaster befalls him between now and next offseason and he never gets anything close to what he is already being offered. They are clearly offering him top ten money and a million a year more than what Givens just got to be some loser teams #1 WR. The Pats are not responsible for guys like Polian or Snyder overpaying their talent, not that Dieon matches up with Wayne or even El as it is. Wayne out produces him even as a #2 and he was signed to be the replacement #1 for Harrison who is 34. El is a threat in the return game as well as WR, not to mention his stealth value as a passing threat. And his function on this team is more in line with a guy like Ward, although Deion has been considerably less productive and durable than Hines to date, who signed a 4 year $26M deal with $10M in bonus money last summer. Hines held out briefly and then came in voluntarily because the Steelers told him that was the only way they would continue to negotiate with him. He took a little less than he likely would have received as the premier FA WR on the 2006 cap flush market, and it resulted in his winning a ring.

I think the problem with several of our youngsters going forward will be their existing ring collection. And the only answer for that is more agressive turnover. BB seems to be primed for that reality, which is why Jackson was just signed for the 2006-2009 seasons. And that is what is at the crux of the problem - Branch thought he had leverage until Belichick revealed his dance with Mason last season wasn't just injury insurance - it was part of a broader plan not to allow the franchise to be coerced by any perceived unwillingness or inability to replace existing players going forward either via draft or FA. It is part of the long term business plan. By and large BB leaves the final decision to the players based on their performance on the field and also their contract demands off it. If either doesn't mesh with this system, they can and will find someone whose will.

Branch's skill set is a good one for this franchise because we run a read and react offense with a savvy QB. Wouold Deion have become a defacto #1 in another system? I'm not so sure. But if he's convinced he would have been then maybe it's better in the long run to let him go slug it out with the big boys on someone's elses nickle. Comfort level aside, I'm willing to bet that BB can find us another WR who can at least get open and Brady will find him if he does. Won't be as cerebral or pretty, but it works too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would Branch had become a defacto #1 in another system? In my opinion, HELL NO!

He is damn lucky that the Pats were likely the only team willing to draft him on the first day.

Deion was given every incentive and opportunity to meet his piddling incentives. 900 yards? He should have hit that before now as the team's number one for basically four seasons.

If he was anybody's idea of a #1 than he would have been drafted as such.

And the spread offense is no excuse, Brady looks to Branch first on every play involving the WRs.

MoLewisrocks said:
Deion got a million dollar signing bonus because he was drafted in the second round AND signed a 5 year deal. He also got the same minimum salaries all the other rookies in his draft class agreed to. But to sweeten the deal his agent at the time got him $3M in incentives for his 5th year provided he met certain performance requirements in his first four years, the most basic of which was 900+ yards receiving.

As fate would have it Deion didn't make that yardage until year 4. As a result he ONLY earned a half a million extra in the 5th and final season. I guess the fact that he was injured in 2004 and still couldn't beat double teams by 2005 when his QB led the league in passing yardage playing with a badly wounded running game, just didn't cut it. So instead of making the protective $3.5M he could have earned this year as an elite WR as part of his coerced deal, he is left to choose between playing for a mere million and a shot at FA or a franchise tag (including tag and trade if he squawks for it) or $6M a year for the next 3 or 5 years (with signing bonus relative to length of contract obviously), or he can sit home at $14,000 a day a whine about how he's been coerced and screwed.

Sorry, this isn't coercion. And if he decides to roll the dice and thumb his nose at what the team is reportedly offering he loses all right to cry foul if some disaster befalls him between now and next offseason and he never gets anything close to what he is already being offered. They are clearly offering him top ten money and a million a year more than what Givens just got to be some loser teams #1 WR. The Pats are not responsible for guys like Polian or Snyder overpaying their talent, not that Dieon matches up with Wayne or even El as it is. Wayne out produces him even as a #2 and he was signed to be the replacement #1 for Harrison who is 34. El is a threat in the return game as well as WR, not to mention his stealth value as a passing threat. And his function on this team is more in line with a guy like Ward, although Deion has been considerably less productive and durable than Hines to date, who signed a 4 year $26M deal with $10M in bonus money last summer. Hines held out briefly and then came in voluntarily because the Steelers told him that was the only way they would continue to negotiate with him. He took a little less than he likely would have received as the premier FA WR on the 2006 cap flush market, and it resulted in his winning a ring.

I think the problem with several of our youngsters going forward will be their existing ring collection. And the only answer for that is more agressive turnover. BB seems to be primed for that reality, which is why Jackson was just signed for the 2006-2009 seasons. And that is what is at the crux of the problem - Branch thought he had leverage until Belichick revealed his dance with Mason last season wasn't just injury insurance - it was part of a broader plan not to allow the franchise to be coerced by any perceived unwillingness or inability to replace existing players going forward either via draft or FA. It is part of the long term business plan. By and large BB leaves the final decision to the players based on their performance on the field and also their contract demands off it. If either doesn't mesh with this system, they can and will find someone whose will.

Branch's skill set is a good one for this franchise because we run a read and react offense with a savvy QB. Wouold Deion have become a defacto #1 in another system? I'm not so sure. But if he's convinced he would have been then maybe it's better in the long run to let him go slug it out with the big boys on someone's elses nickle. Comfort level aside, I'm willing to bet that BB can find us another WR who can at least get open and Brady will find him if he does. Won't be as cerebral or pretty, but it works too.

Mo you are the man. Excellent post!! :rocker:

MoLewisrocks said:

I do not think Deion is really even considering whether he can or will will succeed elsewhere, he is looking for as much cash as he can grab from any team that chooses, in my opinion, to overpay him. There is nothing wrong with that by the way. There is also nothing wrong with the Patriots trying to gain contracts for as long as possible for a little as possible. If you sign the deal, live up to it. It is always money first and rings second for most atletes. The approach of a Teddy Bruschi is very rare with todays athelete.

This is a huge gamble by Deion Branch - if indeed the Pats offer is top 10 money, then he is crazy not to take it while risking injury this season. In any case, make your decision, shut the "F" up and get your butt into camp.

I have to say that I hope that Chayut gets fired by Branch. That would tell us that what Chayut said was from Chayut and not Branch. If Chayut doesn't get fired, then the Patriots need to call Branch directly and tell him that all deals are off the table and he needs to be in camp because they will be enforcing the fines.

I also hope that team leaders like Brady, Bruschi, Harrison and Vrabel pull Branch aside and tell him what a fool he is or just shun him in general.

All this crap from Branch is almost in direct contrast to the the ESPN the Mag article they did on him either right before or right after the Pats won SB39. And it truly disgusts me because I am pretty sure that Branch said that money doesn't matter to him. Obviously it does.

DaBruinz said:
I have to say that I hope that Chayut gets fired by Branch. That would tell us that what Chayut said was from Chayut and not Branch. If Chayut doesn't get fired, then the Patriots need to call Branch directly and tell him that all deals are off the table and he needs to be in camp because they will be enforcing the fines.

I also hope that team leaders like Brady, Bruschi, Harrison and Vrabel pull Branch aside and tell him what a fool he is or just shun him in general.

All this crap from Branch is almost in direct contrast to the the ESPN the Mag article they did on him either right before or right after the Pats won SB39. And it truly disgusts me because I am pretty sure that Branch said that money doesn't matter to him. Obviously it does.

Yes DB, I agree with your post. I am most disappointed in Deion Branch. Not that he is going for as much cash as he can, because most players do just that. I just did not think he was in it solely for the money. I thought he was motivated more along the lines of a Bruschi, Brady type that is indeed all about team and winning - as long as their salaries are reasonable.

He has certainly portrayed himself that way, up until these negotiations, as that ESPN mag indicates as well as other puff pieces written by him about his babies and his appreciation for all that he has, even though he certainly has earned it.

Deion - you are starting to come across as money grubbing and selfish dude.

IF you have been offered top 10 money, with a year to go on the rookie deal that YOU signed. What is your problem? I think the Patriots have treated you very well if indeed they have extended that kind of offer to you.

Let's keep in mind that Branch's agent is the one saying inappropriate crap about the Pats, not Branch himself.

It is quite likely that Branch didn't have any idea that his agent was going to get personal and confrontational with the Pats simply to get his demands met.

I think that Branch is probably sitting home quietly and hoping that his agent is doing a good job for him. He may not be checking Borges' news column as much as we are.

I think this is a case of a totally immature agent trying to act tough and hide behind his Condon/Upshaw inspired rhetoric.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
Let's keep in mind that Branch's agent is the one saying inappropriate crap about the Pats, not Branch himself.

It is quite likely that Branch didn't have any idea that his agent was going to get personal and confrontational with the Pats simply to get his demands met.

I think that Branch is probably sitting home quietly and hoping that his agent is doing a good job for him. He may not be checking Borges' news column as much as we are.

I think this is a case of a totally immature agent trying to act tough and hide behind his Condon/Upshaw inspired rhetoric.

I was told a while back (friend of a friend very close to Deion) he had intended to report and play at the latest 9/2. Same friend that told me how he and Brady were working outr together quite often the past few months.

I wonder if the increased fines for not reporting have thrown a monkey wrench into that plan?

I do not think he is unaware of what is going on however. As I have said - IF - Deion Branch was offered anywhere near top ten or even fifteen type money - he should sign at once. That is very fair it seems to me.

Branch is obviously going to be aware of the numbers being discussed.

What I mean is that he probably didn't think his agent would rush to the media and bad mouth the Pats organization. That is not likely a tactic that was discussed with Branch, it was what the agent said off the top of his head when he talked to Borges, or whoever.

We can blame Branch if he wants to be 'overpaid' if we want, but it is tough to blame him just because his agent acts like a jerk. Branch probably is not the type of guy who would ever encourage his agent to actively burn bridges with the Pats, which is what will happen if the agent keeps running his mouth in this completely reckless manner.

If it comes to Branch's attention that his agent is alientating himself from the Pats, ONLY THEN can we blame Branch for sticking with the agent too long. I don't believe that it has come to that point quite yet. Branch is not sitting home and reading Borges articles, IMO.

Let's see if Chayut continues this self-defeating behavior by calling out the Pats in the media.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
Branch is obviously going to be aware of the numbers being discussed.

What I mean is that he probably didn't think his agent would rush to the media and bad mouth the Pats organization. That is not likely a tactic that was discussed with Branch, it was what the agent said off the top of his head when he talked to Borges, or whoever.

We can blame Branch if he wants to be 'overpaid' if we want, but it is tough to blame him just because his agent acts like a jerk. Branch probably is not the type of guy who would ever encourage his agent to actively burn bridges with the Pats, which is what will happen if the agent keeps running his mouth in this completely reckless manner.

If it comes to Branch's attention that his agent is alientating himself from the Pats, ONLY THEN can we blame Branch for sticking with the agent too long. I don't believe that it has come to that point quite yet. Branch is not sitting home and reading Borges articles, IMO.

Let's see if Chayut continues this self-defeating behavior by calling out the Pats in the media.

Branch's agent is a representative of Branch. Plain and simple. If he doesn't know what his agent is doing in his name, then Branch has no one to blame but himself should he not get a new contract or one to his liking.

Branch may not be reading Borges articles, but I can guarantee you that some of the team captains will have seen that article and will drop a dime to Branch to see if Branchs knows what is going on. It is in Branch's best interest to get on the phone and set his agent straight. And, if his agent doesn't change his attitude, then Branch should fire him post haste and get an agent that is willing to represent Branch the way he wants to be represented.

Pats726 said:
I agree..the humanity of it all!!!!! Really..please!!! Just get back to reality here..he was a stretch as a 2nd rounder..
That's something we all forget. I recall when he was drafted being totally surprised as Branch was a consensus fifth rounder. Yeah, he is better than that, but it was the Pats who believed in him enough to draft him in the second round .

But it doesn't matter what the agent says or if he yaps to the press, even to wRONg. It won't change how the Pats deal.

I also find it humorous the agent warning that players are unhappy and they are leaving. Every year players leave all teams and go to other teams. Many players are happy to come to the Pats and stay with the pats.

Some aren't, Branch apparently one of them. Fine be unhappy. Say how unhappy you are. But have the cajones to say it is you who are unhappy, not that everyone is unhappy and wanting to leave.

Brady-To-Branch said:
PFT's repsonse is classic. :D

To the estimable Mr. Upshaw I direct 2 words:

Guss Scott.

MoLewisrocks said:

I think your comments are worth one more repeat.

Maybe the Branch situation isn't that controversial and we don't have to line up on one side or the other or get so emotional about who's more 'right'.

It's simple. It's a negotiation that is conducted under a collective bargaining agreement (CBA). In any negotiation, each party is trying to 'negotiate' the best deal he can for his side - no big issue.

It does us little good to try to label one side or the other as having the 'higher ground' or more 'right' on their side. There are no such things in a negotation - these are meaningless concepts. What is important to never lose sight of is that the negotiation IS done under the CBA. Whether a player or agent or team likes it is immaterial - it was what both sides AGREED to. It is what it is. It is really almost disgusting to see either party complain about how the agreement is structured. That is not their right or privilege. If you want to pick a side with the 'lower moral ground' it would, in my humble opinion, be the players and their agents. They seem to always want more than the agreement provides and get upset when the owners don't give in. I don't seem to remember any such complaints on the part of any of the teams. They just go about business in the way they are constrained by the agreement. I get very upset and even angry when players or agents complain about how the team should not have taken 'advantage' of or 'coerced' the player. The teams CAN'T take advantage or coerce in excess of the CBA - period. To put it a different way, there is NO SUCH THING AS FAIR - it's a non-concept.

What IS are the positions of the two parties.

The player has a value represented by the services he can perform for the team. His only leverage is: 1) to contribute more so that the team will pay more rather than lose him; 2) to refuse a new contract if he feels that it is in his best interest; and, 3) to withhold services if he would rather not play than play for his contract amount.

The team HAS to hire players to field a product. And, interestingly enough, the NFL CBA actually requires them to spend at least a certain total amount of money. The team's leverage is whether they will offer a contract at all and, if they do, how much they think the player is worth to them. Upon unrestricted free agency, they can't force a player to accept a particular amount. And they can't force a player to play if he doesn't want to, even if he is under contract.

So the results are simple. The player either gets what he wants from a team or goes elsewhere. The team gets to sign players for the amount they feel is good value for the player or they sign a different player. No big deal.

Many ex Patriot players were able to get more money and went to another team. Okay. The Patriots have not paid more than what they thought a player was worth but have alway been able to fill a 53 man roster and win 3 superbowls. Okay. Sounds pretty good for both sides to me. What's the problem ?

I have no sympathy - only disgust - for players who complain about the Patriots not 'respecting' them or 'being loyal' to them. Most could have resigned with the Patriots but chose more money. Okay - good for you - so take your money and shut up. Accept your choice and grow up - it's emotionally infantile to be 'hurt' because the Patriots didn't match the ridiculous offer from another team.

Fans are another matter. I have no problem with folks really liking a player and bemoaning the situation when he isn't resigned. There are players I really like also. But I have a very hard time when folks think that there isn't a tradeoff somewhere if the team gives 'their' favorite player enough money to make him happy. If you pay one player more, you have to pay another player less. And I have never been able to get any fan to tell me who they would cut or give less money to iin order to give their player bigger bucks. It is understandable to be unrealistic - but it is doesn't make it any less unrealistic. Some folks seem to want to pay each and every player that comes up more money. I know that doesn't work - the Pats cap would have to go up big time (but it's FIXED folks). In other terminology, it's a 'fixed sum game'.

You want to know something ridiculous ? With all of the agents moaning about being able to renegotiate contracts early or getting players to free agency earlier, the agents wouldn't make ONE EXTRA DIME !! With the fixed cap, if they got some players bigger money sooner, other players would have to get less and the agents' overall total commission would be EXACTLY THE SAME. It's so brainless it makes you want to cry.

You know the other thing that is ridiculous ? The players, agents, the media, and many fans always seem to want to call the teams the 'bad guys'. The bad guy was the players' association who agreed to the collective bargaining agreement in the first place !! They negotiated the agreement to the ground rules !! Geesh. But nobody ever claimed that humans are rational.

Branch ? Relax. He plays this year folks. He doesn't give up a million bucks. And he's not going to give up many days of fines either. If he's smart, he'll just show up if he doesn't like the Pat's offer. They aren't going to change their offer just because he stays out of camp, so he might as well not lose the money. Agents have a way of making players 'stupid' tho. We'll just have to stay tuned to see if he will sign an extension some time. Seems like his smart approach would be to sign an extension and take his bonus because of his tendency to get hurt. But if he doesn't sign the extension, he'll be gone next year - might as well get used to it. Not much point in being agitated about it now.

flutie2phelan said:
Branch is good. I like him.
Givens is good. I like him too.

Doesn't mean we should have matched Tennessee's overpricing of David.
Doesn't mean the Patriots should pay Deion more than 6 million.

I've actually thought that his proper value was closer to 5.5.
So if he can get 6 ... he oughta grab it.

But i'd like to learn why Piolichick let Tim Dwight ... and his nominal pricetag ... slip away.

This post is entirely spot-on. Dwight's catch vs. the doofins was the best made last seson. Also, I never worried about fumbles or negative yards with TD returning kicks. In fact, he should have returned more KOs.

Not to belabor the good points made previously, but the franchise tag is there for a reason. It can and should be used - either as leverage, or for real.

The fact that Borges views the argument "just because its there you don't have to use it" as "powerful" just illustrates his bias once again.

So if they tag him, he'll make $4M per season, but the team is offering him $6M per season, and the team is not being fair? Great advice from your agent Branch!!!! NOT!!!!!

arrellbee said:
Maybe the Branch situation isn't that controversial and we don't have to line up on one side or the other or get so emotional about who's more 'right'.
you know you said it all...SO TRUE!! NOT just in this quote but in ALL of it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back