PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bodden says he wants market value

Status
Not open for further replies.
you could have titled this thread "here we go again"

Informative article. I can't say I blame his "show me the money" attitude, but to go to a loser?

Leigh Bodden Could Choose Big Contract Over Playoff Wins - New England Patriots - NESN.com

:(:confused:

I dont know what percentage of NFL players actually care that much if they win or lose.. they want to get paid. Of course they want to win but even at the cost of 20% most would choose to go 0-16 rather than 16-0... unless your a superstar who never won and has made a boatload of money like a Randy Moss. Or someeone who wants to revitalize there career.. I dont blame players feeling that way I agree with them.. they only have a couple years to make the green.

there is no reason for him to take less money

when a team like denver or the ravens or KC will pay him a lot more then the pats will

no one knows how good the pats will be next year. brady, and BB are not going to win any games alone. if the pats make the right moves they will be a playoff team again and maybe make a run at a ring. but if they make the worng moves like they did this year they will be a 500. team so why sould any one take less money to play for them

Exactly.

What really surprised me is that he thought he needed to bring it up in the first place.

Many folks seem to think that all our free agents (and most anyone else) would rather play for the patriots, even for somewhat less money. We (and the media) needed a reminder.

By the way, he said nothing like the headline of the article, but that's modern journalism - crap.
"For me, the taste of playoffs and winning, that's something that will be a priority [in any decision],” Bodden told ESPN.com. “But if presented something financially that you can't pass up, that is also a consideration. We aren't going to play this game forever, and you have to look out for your best interests on the financial side."

Wow, what a threat. He's actually going to try to look out for his interests, after he played with a short term contract and proved his worth.

What a jerk.

It there is one word I can't stand it is fair, give me a break. Football is a business, this is Bodden's last big contract. I hope he banks, it is not like the Patriots are on the verge of 5 straight Superbowls.

For all the hate Samuel get, lets recap his last two years. Gets a ton of coin, makes the playoffs both years and is voted to two Probowls. Sounds like a rough period for our boy Asante.

Bodden is a pretty good corner, I hope the Patriots sign him or someone of his caliber or the CB unit is going to be another liability.

Who cares, he's replaceable.

I don't know about that. Do we really want to create another hole to fill? There are enough things to focus on within this defense, we don't need a gap at corner to. Make the man a reasonable offer, say 6-7 mil a year and hope for the best. If thats not enough let him walk and start praying for some serious de/olb help to cover up the secondary.

Who cares, he's replaceable.

By who? Jonathan Wilhite? Terrance Wheatley? Maybe by a free agent who is better than him and won't be asking for a lot of money? Not sure if you're trolling, but what a ridiculous statement. Boy, if this season taught us anything, it's players are pretty much interchangeable. :rolleyes:

I don't know why this is any surprise. Most NFL players have a very short window of time to earn their money. In addition, many do not have a whole lot of skill sets to earn much income after their playing days are over. And in Bodden's case, he signed a one-year deal that included a clause that he could not be franchised. If there's any surprise to me, it's the number of Pats fans that have seemed to assume not only that he would be back next year, but that he would be back at the same price.

It's not rocket science. If all things are close to equal (i.e., length and amount of contract), then most players will opt for a team with championship potential over one coming off a losing season, or the chance to play in their hometown over being far away from home. But a fair amount of certain fan bases (e.g., Pats, Steelers) seem to have this idea that every player should take a discount to play for those teams. That's just not very realistic.

This guy played last year for 2 million so he can get a Market value contract this year. I am confused why now he is a bad guy because of it .He might take a million or so less but from another thread the patriots have decided to not make any move now.

Only 8% of players last in nfl for 10 years and this might be his only contract in his life. I am suprised why every one wants him to play for 2 million a year ?.

We have not worn a Playoff game in close to 3 yrs now ...and a SB in 6 years so hold the koolaid when saying that he is chosing money over playoff / SBs

Last edited:
This guy played last year for 2 million so he can get a Market value contract this year. I am confused why now he is a bad guy because of it .He might take a million or so less but from another thread the patriots have decided to not make any move now.

Only 8% of players last in nfl for 10 years and this might be his only contract in his life. I am suprised why every one wants him to play for 2 million a year ?.

We have not worn a Playoff game in close to 3 yrs now ...and a SB in 6 years so hold the koolaid when saying that he is chosing money over playoff / SBs

If by 3 years you mean almost exactly 2 years...

You basically said that 3 days is close to 1 year

I've seen this attitude somewhere before. I just know I have...

haha...Earthwind Mooreland will replace Bodden !!! :rolleyes:
Next this clown will say who cares about Pats QB, he's replaceable too.

Exactly. He took a discount to prove his worth, he's proved his worth ... so we should expect him to take another discount? It makes no sense. He's indicated before that he will take into consideration (1) wanting continuity and not moving for team to team, having had 3 teams already in the past 3 years, and (2) wanting to play for a playoff team. Those 2 things should give us the inside track, as long as our offer isn't ridiculously low or other teams don't make ridicuously high offers ... oops, we're screwed.

I'm not sure about the "patriots have decided not to make any move now" part. They can't make Bodden any formal offer until February.

If by 3 years you mean almost exactly 2 years...

You basically said that 3 days is close to 1 year

technically you're right

However if we win a playoff game next season it will be almost 3 years exactly from our last win

What's that? Ah -- Playoffs? Don't talk about -- playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs?

Pats aren't even the best team in the division, could hardly expect Bodden to give a discount because of playoff potential.

Bodden is definitely worth keeping, but he's not an elite "shutdown corner" type... if he asks for too much, let him walk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back