PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bodden says he wants market value

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's NO better than Samuel IMO, but Sammy wasn't worth what he was asking either!
Both I consider "good" players, NEITHER worth HUGE coin.

I bet he's gone....who wants to bet?

He definitely is better than Samuel. Just look at all the peripheral numbers. Opponent comp%, opposing QB rating, YAC, avg, TD...

Samuel was thrown at 67 times, he allowed 45 receptions. Bodden was thrown at 90 times, he allowed 45 receptions. Samuel misses more tackles. All the way accross the board except for INT, Samuel doesn't do anything better than Bodden.

I'd say ~7-8M per year would be fair money for Bodden. He will be a starter for us, and let's be honest, he was our best CB this past season. So I don't see where the #2 corner talk comes from. And please don't compare him to Hobbs. Hobbs couldn't hold Bodden's jock. Hobbs is a lot closer to Wilhite than he ever will be to Bodden. And how many of us were ripping Wilhite for his play in 2009?

I agree that Butler WILL be up and coming but he's not very experienced. I'd rather have Bodden at #1 and have Butler take over #2 from Springs by midseason or something like that.

You really won't find a "plug and start" corner in the draft unless you trade up into the top 10 for a Hayden or someone like that. And I think we have bigger needs defensively. All Bodden costs is $$ in an uncapped year. Frontload his contract so his cap hit is reasonable for the remainder and keep the stability in the secondary. It will be well worth it. I'd rather spend #22 on an OLB or an impact HB like Spiller than on a CB.

Last edited:
I'd say ~7-8M per year would be fair money for Bodden. He will be a starter for us, and let's be honest, he was our best CB this past season. So I don't see where the #2 corner talk comes from. And please don't compare him to Hobbs. Hobbs couldn't hold Bodden's jock. Hobbs is a lot closer to Wilhite than he ever will be to Bodden. And how many of us were ripping Wilhite for his play in 2009?

I agree that Butler WILL be up and coming but he's not very experienced. I'd rather have Bodden at #1 and have Butler take over #2 from Springs by midseason or something like that.

You really won't find a "plug and start" corner in the draft unless you trade up into the top 10 for a Hayden or someone like that. And I think we have bigger needs defensively. All Bodden costs is $$ in an uncapped year. Frontload his contract so his cap hit is reasonable for the remainder and keep the stability in the secondary. It will be well worth it. I'd rather spend #22 on an OLB or an impact HB like Spiller than on a CB.

Generally speaking, the LCB is the #1 because QB's are right handed by and large. Just ask Asante, who claimed he couldn't play comfortable on the right side and was beside himself when Hobbs won the job in camp in 2006 before breaking his wrist (because entering his contract season Asante wanted left side money...). Bodden was the starting RCB for this team in every game he played in this season. Our starting #1 or LCB was some combination of Springs/Butler/Wilhite...FWIW.

I think Bodden is a solid starting corner, which is worth more than the $2-3M you pay today for a nickle who can start in a pinch or behind a great front 7 - which is what Bill tended to look for in the past. He went after Townsend, whom Cowher saw as that same player, only Townsend stayed in Pittsburgh for the same $$. What Bill is allotting to the secondary these days will depend on what he intends to allot to the front 7 going forward. We don't know yet what that will be, although this draft and FA period should be somewhat enlightening as to his approach going forward.

That said, Bodden already completed his first big deal. After signing as an UDFA and developing on Cleveland's ST and as a nickle corner, and those are guys I seldom begrudge, he got his 4 year $27M deal that he never lived up to. Much of that in Cleveland was injury related. But RAC let him go in a trade in year 4 of that deal after probably his best season for the Browns. And Detroit didn't hang on to him after one season completed that deal. I'm not breaking the bank for that guy. He's made his generations of security money already. If he wants to play for this team, fine. If not, we go find the next candidate. It's not like he was a difference maker here, either. Three of his 5 picks came courtesy of the Sanchise in full melt down mode.

I call bull**** on that. Hobbs was completely and utterly undervalued by this supporter base. He was a serviceable corner back.

To call him closer to Wilhite than Bodden is outrageous IMO.

Well Bodden wanted market value last year and he found no takers so he signed a 1 year deal here. I don't really recall what other teams he visited last year but I dont think there were a lot of them so I'm not sure there's going to be much interest in him. He put up decent numbers here but I don't think he did anything to command number 1 money from anyone. I actually really like Bodden and was excited about the signing last year and hope that he does come back although I would still like the Pats to draft another corner in the 2nd round this year and get rid of Wheatley if they don't see him as a contributor this year.

I call bull**** on that. Hobbs was completely and utterly undervalued by this supporter base. He was a serviceable corner back.

He was actually the better cover corner. 'Sante was the zone ballhawk. Hobbs got victimized by the early interpretation of the Polian rule. He may not have had the INTS but he stopped some big time receivers while getting abused by the zebras on ticky tack or utter BS PI calls. Then we shifted to more zone coverage which was Asante's forte and was also predicated by our gradually decreasing playmaking capacity up front due to injuries and aging.

Hobbs was also a better football matters player and a sparkplug in the return game. Bill said on more than one occasion in his defense that Ellis Hobbs was good for this team. Then he forgot why. I hope he makes it back from that neck injury he suffered in Philly this season. And I hope Bill remembers what it was about Ellis that a team like this needs. More mentally and physically tough players willing to fight through whatever obstacle is standing between us and winning.

Can't blame him. He played well this year.

I think comparing him to Wilhite is a perfectly good comparison. Bodden could be a number 1 on some teams. Hobbs is no better than a nickel.

Figures. But I was already looking pass him, it'll be Butler and whoever else starting next season.

Hobbs was a very good punt returner. He was an average corner.

Wihite is not a punt returner. He is a below-average corner.

He was actually the better cover corner. 'Sante was the zone ballhawk. Hobbs got victimized by the early interpretation of the Polian rule. He may not have had the INTS but he stopped some big time receivers while getting abused by the zebras on ticky tack or utter BS PI calls. Then we shifted to more zone coverage which was Asante's forte and was also predicated by our gradually decreasing playmaking capacity up front due to injuries and aging.

Hobbs was also a better football matters player and a sparkplug in the return game. Bill said on more than one occasion in his defense that Ellis Hobbs was good for this team. Then he forgot why. I hope he makes it back from that neck injury he suffered in Philly this season. And I hope Bill remembers what it was about Ellis that a team like this needs. More mentally and physically tough players willing to fight through whatever obstacle is standing between us and winning.
Indeed Mo. The idiocy of some people owing to SB42 victimize Hobbs for Burress making that catch and continue to devalue his contribution to the Patriots. He'd be starting opposite Bodden if he were still on the roster.

Last edited:
BB is like the nba equivalent of the MLE.

I like Bodden. He is still young and needs more help in "turning towards the ball when you see the receiver reaching..".

He is not a shutdown corner, but a nice #2 corner.

I'd give him 5mill at 3-4yrs.

He may get more in the free agency, though.

KC will give him 7 million a year the pats wont offer more then 4 million a year

KC is building patriots south. out there with. Romeo Crennel, at DC Charlie Weis at OC i could all so see KC signing wilfork, and maybe even mankins,

I like Bodden. He is still young and needs more help in "turning towards the ball when you see the receiver reaching..".

He is not a shutdown corner, but a nice #2 corner.

I'd give him 5mill at 3-4yrs.

He may get more in the free agency, though.

He definitely will. That's not market value.

Jabari Greer got $6M/year last year, Dominique Foxworth $7M.

I wouldn't even use $5M as a starting offer. I'd start with Greer and go up to Foxworth in terms of the contract value. Otherwise, don't waste the time.

To those that think Bodden owes something to this team, wake up! If anything the Patriots are the ones who owe loyalty to Bodden. If not for him, the secondary would have been a TOTAL disaster this year. Maybe the Pat's should step up and pay the guy market value, because he deserves it. You make him a competative offer and you see what happens. Of course he's not going to stay if another team is willing to give him millions more. Why would he?

Indeed Mo. The idiocy of some people owing to SB42 victimize Hobbs for Burress making that catch and continue to devalue his contribution to the Patriots. He'd be starting opposite Bodden if he were still on the roster.

Who said anything about that play specifically? He is an average CB, worthy of a nickel spot who was thrust into a top 1 or 2 position.

Who said anything about that play specifically? He is an average CB, worthy of a nickel spot who was thrust into a top 1 or 2 position.
He is easily a 2 corner forced to play as a 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back