PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bodden says he wants market value

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure about the "patriots have decided not to make any move now" part. They can't make Bodden any formal offer until February.

because after the long season the coaches take a month or 2 off. But in our case that means the GM is also off so the news is there will be no change till our GM returns from his coaches vacation.

I Think that we need to do a better job of defining what kind of corner NE needs. Just because a guy is a corner, it doesn't lump them in with everyone else in a linear test. The Pats showed a serious shift towards both press personnel and more blitzing in respect to scheme. The two work together. You can't have off corners who jump routes like Samuel and send people.

I think that given the current state of passing rules, press corners in conjuction with blitzing is the way to negate most offenses. Assuming this is the strategy, Bodden's value appreciates exponentially. In terms of a physical, good tackling corner he is right there with Winfield. Most posters here have Bodden tremendously undervalued considering scheme. The emphasis this season must be on retaining existing tallent while adding key pieces. They simply can't let their best man corner since Law walk.

After Dunta Robinson, he is the second best corner on the market and would be the #1 corner for a third of the team in the NFL. Considering the Pats' options, he deserves the low end of #1 money. I don't see any alternatives in the secondary without him.

because after the long season the coaches take a month or 2 off. But in our case that means the GM is also off so the news is there will be no change till our GM returns from his coaches vacation.

Again, we couldn't do anything officially about Bodden's contract until February. That's why our choaches take the time off now.

I Think that we need to do a better job of defining what kind of corner NE needs. Just because a guy is a corner, it doesn't lump them in with everyone else in a linear test. The Pats showed a serious shift towards both press personnel and more blitzing in respect to scheme. The two work together. You can't have off corners who jump routes like Samuel and send people.

I think that given the current state of passing rules, press corners in conjuction with blitzing is the way to negate most offenses. Assuming this is the strategy, Bodden's value appreciates exponentially. In terms of a physical, good tackling corner he is right there with Winfield. Most posters here have Bodden tremendously undervalued considering scheme. The emphasis this season must be on retaining existing tallent while adding key pieces. They simply can't let their best man corner since Law walk.

Good post. I agree. I also think that Bodden and Butler's skills complement each other nicely. Bodden is a better press corner and a better tackler. Butler has better athletic skills and ball hawking capability.

By who? Jonathan Wilhite? Terrance Wheatley? Maybe by a free agent who is better than him and won't be asking for a lot of money? Not sure if you're trolling, but what a ridiculous statement. Boy, if this season taught us anything, it's players are pretty much interchangeable. :rolleyes:

Those TWO BUMS you mentioned couldn't hold Boddens jock, as they are both nickle backs AT BEST!!

I hope Bill cuts them lose and we never see them again unless it's lined up against the Pats WRS, then I retract and say WOW don't they look good out there!! :singing:

They both were a WASTE of a good draft pick, and that's getting too common it seems.....hopefully they'll be joining loserboys Chadsta and Bethel on the unemployment line..........
Man I hate wasting draft picks.

I don't think he's that good. Wilhite just needs to be coached up a bit...teach him to look for the ball. Butler has the makings of a star.

I'd rather they dump him and use the money elsewhere.

I have a feeling that Kraft wants to make a little more money on the pats, so he may not spend up to the cap.

Bodden should show loyalty to the team. If he won't, cya later.

Can u raise the dead because even so lombardi himself couldn't coach up wilhite i cringed every time the ball went his way the entire 2009 season he was by far our worst corner this year.

technically you're right

However if we win a playoff game next season it will be almost 3 years exactly from our last win

Technically is all that matters with what I quoted. You can't win your first playoff game without going a year without winning one, so who cares.

Technically is all that matters with what I quoted. You can't win your first playoff game without going a year without winning one, so who cares.

I'm just sayin

this team hasn't exactly been flying high lately

I'm just sayin

this team hasn't exactly been flying high lately

Well it hasn't been flying really low either.

2007 - greatest season ever
2008 - Brady injury, first year starting QB, 11-5, tie-breaker keeps us out and 8-8, 9-7 teams in!
2009 - Major transition year losing multiple great veterans, 10-6, won the division

And before you talk about others WANTING to play here, it's no different from any other year. Only the end of the line aged veterans have taken "large" discounts to come here. That was true when we were winning superbowls too, and I never expected it to change.

Of course another thing to consider in this debate, is who would replace Bodden should he sign elsewhere? Keep in mind that Shawn Springs may not return either, and even if he does his role would surely be limited. And it's doubtful a draft pick would start; we seem to pretty much be in agreement that the top picks should address other areas.

Other than Bodden, here in no particular order are the top potential free agent corners:

Richard Marshall, Panthers, age 25 (RFA)
Dunta Robinson, Texans, age 28
Carlos Rogers, Redskins, age 29
Ellis Hobbs, Eagles, age 27
Lito Sheppard, Jets, age 28
Tramon Williams, Packers, age 27 (RFA)
Karl Paymah, Vikings, age 27
Marlin Jackson, Colts, age 27
Ralph Brown, Cardinals, age 31
Tim Jennings, Colts, age 27
Roderick Hood, Browns, age 28
Ken Lucas, Seahawks, age 31
Deshea Townsend, Steelers, age 34
Dre' Bly, 49ers, age 33
Nick Harper, Titans, age 35
Walt Harris, 49ers, age 36
Brent Grimes, Falcons, age 27 (RFA)
Usama Young, Saints, age 25 (RFA)
Alan Ball, Cowboys, age 25 (RFA)
Fabian Washington, Ravens, 27
Stanford Routt, Raiders, age 27
Anthony Henry, Lions, age 33
DeMarcus ***gins, Lions, age 30
William Gay, Steelers, age 25 (RFA)
Chris McAllister, Saints, age 32
Benny Sapp, Vikings, age 29

Apologies in advance if I included somebody that has extended, and for not including Ty Law or Adam Jones.

Of course another thing to consider in this debate, is who would replace Bodden should he sign elsewhere? Keep in mind that Shawn Springs may not return either, and even if he does his role would surely be limited. And it's doubtful a draft pick would start; we seem to pretty much be in agreement that the top picks should address other areas.

Other than Bodden, here in no particular order are the top potential free agent corners:

Richard Marshall, Panthers, age 25 (RFA)
Dunta Robinson, Texans, age 28
Carlos Rogers, Redskins, age 29
Ellis Hobbs, Eagles, age 27
Lito Sheppard, Jets, age 28
Tramon Williams, Packers, age 27 (RFA)
Karl Paymah, Vikings, age 27
Marlin Jackson, Colts, age 27
Ralph Brown, Cardinals, age 31
Tim Jennings, Colts, age 27
Roderick Hood, Browns, age 28
Ken Lucas, Seahawks, age 31
Deshea Townsend, Steelers, age 34
Dre' Bly, 49ers, age 33
Nick Harper, Titans, age 35
Walt Harris, 49ers, age 36
Brent Grimes, Falcons, age 27 (RFA)
Usama Young, Saints, age 25 (RFA)
Alan Ball, Cowboys, age 25 (RFA)
Fabian Washington, Ravens, 27
Stanford Routt, Raiders, age 27
Anthony Henry, Lions, age 33
DeMarcus ***gins, Lions, age 30
William Gay, Steelers, age 25 (RFA)
Chris McAllister, Saints, age 32
Benny Sapp, Vikings, age 29

Apologies in advance if I included somebody that has extended, and for not including Ty Law or Adam Jones.

I'm pretty sure Carlos Rodgers and Marlin Jackson (and Ellis Hobbs) would be RFAs in an uncapped year, as both were drafted in 2005 and have less than 6 years experience.

I'm pretty sure Carlos Rodgers and Marlin Jackson (and Ellis Hobbs) would be RFAs in an uncapped year, as both were drafted in 2005 and have less than 6 years experience.
Yep, without looking it up for each player I'm fairly sure you are correct; I neglected to take that into consideration. Unfortunately most of the sites I have found are still compiling free agent lists by the old rules.

Bottom line is that if Bodden signs elsewhere, then the uncapped year rule regarding free agency will result in not a whole lot of choices in terms of replacing him. And that could also result in him getting a very big offer from another team, if there are not a whole lot of desireable choices available at cornerback.

haha...Earthwind Mooreland will replace Bodden !!! :rolleyes:
Next this clown will say who cares about Pats QB, he's replaceable too.

Clown? Yeah, Bodden good but anyone who thinks the Patriots are going to give him a decent deal is out of their mind. This is the same team that let Asante walk and may let Wilfork walk.

Think before you post something stupid after all this is a message board where everyone has an opinion you fringing idiot.

Clown? Yeah, Bodden good but anyone who thinks the Patriots are going to give him a decent deal is out of their mind. This is the same team that let Asante walk and may let Wilfork walk.

Think before you post something stupid after all this is a message board where everyone has an opinion you fringing idiot.

You are forgetting that Asante is way overpaid and Bodden is better than him. So letting Samuel walk does nothing to prove your case. Wilfork will be taken a lot more seriously than Samuel, but like everyone else the Patriots simply won't overpay for top of the roster because that means they won't be able to pay for the middle and end of their roster. I'm sure that Wilfork will be re-signed and will not be surprised to see Bodden sign a decent contract to stay here. (Not Samuel money even though he's better, but they will offer him a -fair- deal)

You are forgetting that Asante is way overpaid and Bodden is better than him. So letting Samuel walk does nothing to prove your case. Wilfork will be taken a lot more seriously than Samuel, but like everyone else the Patriots simply won't overpay for top of the roster because that means they won't be able to pay for the middle and end of their roster. I'm sure that Wilfork will be re-signed and will not be surprised to see Bodden sign a decent contract to stay here. (Not Samuel money even though he's better, but they will offer him a -fair- deal)

He's NO better than Samuel IMO, but Sammy wasn't worth what he was asking either!
Both I consider "good" players, NEITHER worth HUGE coin.

I bet he's gone....who wants to bet?

He's NO better than Samuel IMO, but Sammy wasn't worth what he was asking either!
Both I consider "good" players, NEITHER worth HUGE coin.

I bet he's gone....who wants to bet?
Tough to say. There's a whole new set of rules this year. On one hand the uncapped year means there are less unrestricted free agents. Basic economics says lower supply equals higher demand, and any and all teams (including the Pats) will have to pay more for those players.

On the other hand there's the question of how other owners will react to the uncapped year. How many will stop spending in preparation for a lockout - and will that drive the price of free agents down due to lower demand? Will owners spend less as a way of proving a point that the salary cap needs to go down, or at least be stabilized - which would also lower demand and lower free agent prices? Or will some owners try to buy a championship, driving up the price of players like Bodden? And how will teams react to staying within their own budget, without the restraint of a salary cap to hold them back?

It will be interesting to see how much the Pats offer Bodden and how much other teams offer him. One of the biggest off-season questions for the Pats will be who they will play at corner if they don't re-sign Bodden. What NFL teams will and will not be players in free agency is really a big unknown right now, with the exception of a few obvious teams like the Bills.

I think they are both talented CB's. Bodden more well rounded while Asante is a straight up game changer the way he is able to jump routes.

There are lots of variables. For me, the most important is that the patriots rarely, if ever, outbid other teams for their own players, once they become UFA's.

Tough to say. There's a whole new set of rules this year. On one hand the uncapped year means there are less unrestricted free agents. Basic economics says lower supply equals higher demand, and any and all teams (including the Pats) will have to pay more for those players.

On the other hand there's the question of how other owners will react to the uncapped year. How many will stop spending in preparation for a lockout - and will that drive the price of free agents down due to lower demand? Will owners spend less as a way of proving a point that the salary cap needs to go down, or at least be stabilized - which would also lower demand and lower free agent prices? Or will some owners try to buy a championship, driving up the price of players like Bodden? And how will teams react to staying within their own budget, without the restraint of a salary cap to hold them back?

It will be interesting to see how much the Pats offer Bodden and how much other teams offer him. One of the biggest off-season questions for the Pats will be who they will play at corner if they don't re-sign Bodden. What NFL teams will and will not be players in free agency is really a big unknown right now, with the exception of a few obvious teams like the Bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes