PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bodden says he wants market value

Status
Not open for further replies.
that statistic alone is meaningless

Who was he defending while those throws were being made?

If it was a Randy Moss then hot damn!

If it was a Sam Aiken then then I personally could probably put up those numbers

It's not "meaningless" by itself, although yes I agree it's not completely conclusive. Although it's blatantly obvious that Bodden is a far better cover corner than Samuel. Samuel is a zone hawk, that makes his living off the big INT numbers. And let's be honest here, he tends to pick on the lower-tier QBs. 5 of his 9 INTs came on Josh Johnson, Jason Campbell and Jemarcus Russell. I will be honest with Bodden too, he got 3 of his 5 INT against Sanchez.

With Bodden though you can do more, and he's much less of a liability. Big plays hurt a defense almost as much as an Interception helps them. Quick TDs hurt them MORE than a turnover helps them (except for the pick-6 of course is equal). Bodden plays cornerback, Samuel plays zone-hawk-back. Given the choice, I pick Bodden easily. Although I wouldn't pay either one as much as Samuel is making, there are very few CBs I think that are worth the high-end DB money.

And let's be honest here, Sam Aiken would look like Randy moss against you, so let's not go overboard in stating his terribleness as a WR in the National Football League.

Last edited:
The 4 additonal picks are not game or season changers. No way do the INTs offset Samuel's bad completion rate and big play tendencies as compared to Bodden.

will to be far to samuel he is not in the AFC east any more with average WR's and bad QB's and he plays a lot more man covrage with the eagels. and brown may even be a better corner on the other side of him so teams have to throw he's way some times

you could even look at Bodden's stats out side of the AFC east when faceing some of the better WR's he got beat.

i would love to have samuel, on this team and Bodden, but if the pats stay true to what they do Bodden, should be gone.

Last edited:
And let's be honest here, Sam Aiken would look like Randy moss against you, so let's not go overboard in stating his terribleness as a WR in the National Football League.

Doubtful

I would be surprised to see Aiken catch a ball in practice while nobody was guarding him

There's not a lot of use in arguing with e-money. He thinks he knows everything, uses stats to back up almost every argument, and is a Pats homer.

I don't know how people can say Bodden is a better corner than Samuel. Samuel excelled in zone but he was also great at staying with his guy. He had great fluid hips but he liked to jump routes and gamble. People also act like Bodden is a much more physical corner but I don't see it that way. He's a little more of a sound tackler but Asante wasn't afraid of laying some wood. I remember against the Colts he laid out a WR as soon as he caught the ball and against the Jaguars with the Eagles I think he knocked a guy out.

Seeing them both play in NE, only a person with home-town bias could think that Bodden is a better CB than Samuel. I don't care what those stats say, they aren't accurate enough. They have Bodden as a better CB than Nnamdi, which is absurd.

Bodden was good for us this year, but I can't see anyone that is objective saying that he is better than Asante.

There's not a lot of use in arguing with e-money. He thinks he knows everything, uses stats to back up almost every argument, and is a Pats homer.

lol. Nice argument you got going against me ;) Oh noes, he uses facts! RuN

I wasn't singing Samuel's praises at any point in time that he was here, but I guess apparently I wasn't a "homer" back then. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
lol. Nice argument you got going against me ;) Oh noes, he uses facts! RuN

I wasn't singing Samuel's praises at any point in time that he was here, but I guess apparently I wasn't a "homer" back then. :rolleyes:

I'm not trying to stir anything up, I'm just saying sometimes stats are misleading, especially in football. You really need to use the eye test a lot more in football than any other sport. I wouldn't rate CB's based on those stats just like I wouldn't rate OL guys based on pancake blocks. It goes back to the Moss discussion where you use a lot of stats to form your argument. Stats are nice but they don't tell the whole story.

The reason I used "homer" is because in every thread you post in it appears you vehemently defend the Pats/their players/their coaches/etc. It's not like I'm saying it's a bad thing to be such an optimistic fan, but it wouldn't hurt to a bit more objective. No one is perfect, even the Pats :(

I'm not trying to stir anything up, I'm just saying sometimes stats are misleading, especially in football. You really need to use the eye test a lot more in football than any other sport.

The eye test is far more of a failure than statistics that I've used. The eye test REQUIRES coaches tapes, knowledge of the play called and responsibilities and a deep knowledge of the game in general. The fact that casual fans think they can judge NFL players based on memory of TV feed and throw out all statistics baffles me.

I wouldn't rate CB's based on those stats just like I wouldn't rate OL guys based on pancake blocks. It goes back to the Moss discussion where you use a lot of stats to form your argument. Stats are nice but they don't tell the whole story.

They are far better in rating a CB than a fan's subjective view based on the far more limited information of a tv feed. catch %, YAC, INT, PD, Stops, etc... tell a whole lot more of the story than your eyes watching a TV feed and that's assuming you even watch every game of every team with your eyes intently on the players' in question.

As for Moss, once again the eye test is an utter failure. Hell the DBs can't even tell how hard he's trying or how fast he's running but yet the fans around here can determine for a fact when he's "quitting". The fact that some of you still can't understand that the bias against Moss has always been wrong (at least for his time as a Patriot) just shows that many of you simply ignore facts and come to conclusions based solely on emotions.

The stats I've used to backup my assertions are not cherry picked, they aren't terribly flawed, I don't hide certain stats and promote others, and I sure as hell don't try to bend the facts to what I want them to say.

The reason I used "homer" is because in every thread you post in it appears you vehemently defend the Pats/their players/their coaches/etc. It's not like I'm saying it's a bad thing to be such an optimistic fan, but it wouldn't hurt to a bit more objective. No one is perfect, even the Pats :(

Well you don't see me jump into conversations that are dissing my favorite team, even when there is truth to it. I will however defend against players/coaches when the facts so obviously point the other way. There have been players that I did not defend, I just don't jump in on the ugly train because it's not fun as a fan to pile on a player that isn't getting the job done.

I didn't defend Chad Jackson for example and I'm not defending Wilhite's play this season. It's not worth my time to pile on guys that I WANT to do well, and if that makes me a homer then so be it.

I let my eyes give me an idea of what I see but I'm not afraid to admit my eyes were wrong when I go to the facts/data.

Last edited:
Luckily, we're getting rid of this guy, so it's a moot point.

Hopefully we get Robinson from Texans as a FA this year. Dunta...BB liked him coming out. He will cost money but maybe not more than Bodden, who I thought was mediocre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News