PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bodden says he wants market value

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waiting on Shawn Springs to demand more $$$$ next week :eek:

Last edited:
I don't think he's that good. Wilhite just needs to be coached up a bit...teach him to look for the ball. Butler has the makings of a star.

Bodden is a very good #2 DB. You can win a Sb with him.

I'd rather they dump him and use the money elsewhere.

Like where? If you say anything anything other than a pass rush you are off base.

I have a feeling that Kraft wants to make a little more money on the pats, so he may not spend up to the cap.

Thats a ridiculous statement. The guy has spent to the 9s every year and the clubs financials are excellent.

Bodden should show loyalty to the team. If he won't, cya later.

Yea and if some other company offered you a promotion, better hours and a 50k raise you'd tell them to go pound sand. Spare me the loyalty crap.

Does fair market value mean the same amount a year if he were franchised, It is the average of the top 5 salaries of the position isnt it? If so what is the franchise number for corners?

The question is, what is "fair". The 4 years at $24M that Jabari Greer got? I say make it happen. The 4 years at $28M that Dominique Foxworth got? That's probably my upper limit. It all depends on how far apart the FO's version of "fair" and Bodden's version turn out to be.

They had chances to sign Assante for this type of money before the 06 season and didn't do it so I don't see them going that high for Bodden. I don't think they value the position high enough to do so. Only way it happens is a one year deal not a 4 year deal. I think a lot of the owners will tighten the belts so there could be some very good one year deals the Pats could nab in the upcappped year.

He is the top UFA corner out there. there will be teams that will reach for him, and that will be his interpretation of "market value". Too bad, he had a good year. We should never have let Asante go.

Last edited:
As many before him, Bodden does not interested in a "fair offer" giving a discount from market value for the priviledge of playing for the pattriots.

I have no clue why he should give preference to the patriots, unless PERHAPS if the offers are almost equal. Even then, he may find other teams more interesting than the patriots.

Market value has no relationship to fair.
The guy wants what he thinks he's worth and in sport thats fair enough, doesn't mean to say he's now Asante Samuel and wants the earth. He's a solid player and easily a very good #2 corner. I can see the Pats offering a fair contract.
As much as I like Bodden and and well as he played last season, he isnt elite and I would not pay him over 7 million a year. 6-7 million a year sounds reasonable. The Pats could be in deep trouble if they lose him, I like Butler but after him there are a lot of questions.

Market value has everything to do with what's "fair".

The going market value for a solid starting CB last year was in the $6-7 million range. Bodden certainly meets the definition of a solid starting CB. You can't argue that an offer averaging $4M/year, for example, could be considered "fair". And if Bodden wants to hold out for franchise CB money in the $8-10M/year range I don't think anyone would consider that "fair", even though someone may be dumb enough to overspend.

Just because Bodden wants to be paid isn't enough. Does he want to be paid as a solid starting CB, or is he under the delusion that he's earned "elite CB" status? If the latter, good luck to him, as he won't (and shouldn't) get that kind of money from the Pats. I agree with Slash83, $7M/year is as high as I would go.

OTOH, if the Pats try to lowball Bodden and then cry because he goes somewhere else for $6-7M/year, they have no one to blame but themselves. They won't get a comparable caliber veeran CB for cheaper on a long term deal, and there's a price to pay for stability in the secondary. I would hope that 2008 has taught the Pats the value of that kind of stability.

I feel dirty that someone like Bodden can demand fair, which could be anywhere between 4-8 million per season and Wes Welker, easily our best performed Patriot of the past 3 seasons will be making a base salary of $1.9 million next season (if reported correctly).

Wes Welker

Fair in my mind is 5 million with performance escalators.

What are people basing the analysis on when they say Bodden is a "good" #2 CB?

I haven't seen any breakdowns or numbers but from watching the season I got the feeling that Bodden played very well. #1 CB for sure, there aren't 31 CBs that outplayed him. Top 10, maybe not, but top 15 surely. I wonder if football outsiders or somewhere will be breaking down the DB numbers anytime soon, I'd love to know the real story.

I personally rather Bodden over Samuel, but if by "market" value he means the highest bidder then it certainly will not be the Patriots.

ouch this does not sound good

he was our only consistent starter

I haven't seen any breakdowns or numbers but from watching the season I got the feeling that Bodden played very well. #1 CB for sure, there aren't 31 CBs that outplayed him. Top 10, maybe not, but top 15 surely. I wonder if football outsiders or somewhere will be breaking down the DB numbers anytime soon, I'd love to know the real story.

I personally rather Bodden over Samuel, but if by "market" value he means the highest bidder then it certainly will not be the Patriots.

really you would pick bodden over asante samuel? that seems a little far fetched IMO

Fair in my mind is 5 million with performance escalators.

That's my point. "Fair" has everything to do with market value of a starting CB, and nothing to do with what's in your mind. Bodden won't stay for $5M, other teams will offer "fair market value" in the $6-7 range, and we'll be stuck looking for a CB and rebuilding our secondary on the fly. That sucks a lot more than paying the $6-7M does.

Heck, as far as I'm concerned all these salaries are obscene. That doesn't matter. Welker signed his deal, and he'll get almost $2M (plus another $2M if you amortize his signing bonus, so it's not so pitiful) to recuperate from his injury next season. I also suspect that if he appears to be on the road to a full recovery the Pats will extend his contract within a year, as his current deal expires after the 2011 season and we won't want him to sniff FA. He'll end up making plenty of money.

If Bodden leaves because he's a mercenary and some team throws ridiculous money at him, or because he thinks he's an elite CB and deserves more than $6-7M/year, then good riddance and we move on as best we can. But if he ends up leaving because we're cheap and low-ball him and won't pay what the market value is, then shame on us and we will only have ourselves to blame next year when our secondary is a shambles the way it was in 2008.

Bodden had a fine year and performed very well, especially considered the pass rush we had. If he wants a $6M - $7M a year deal, he's easily worth it.

Sign him up Bill.

According to profootballfocus.com Bodden was the 14th ranked corner in the league this year. I haven't taken the time to read how the site calculates their ratings.

ProFootballFocus.com - Cumulative Cornerback Summary

We haven't won a Super Bowl since 2004 ... I think the players want to play for us is now over rated. I think we can still snag a veteran who thinks belichick could define a role for them ... and they can perhaps get a ring or an extra year of playing. But we're not getting anyone to come here for a steep or even a moderate discount.

really you would pick bodden over asante samuel? that seems a little far fetched IMO

That's not far fetched at all when you really look at things. Bodden is a better CB than Samuel overall. Samuel takes a lot of risks, which gets him the $$ numbers, but also allows a lot of big plays. Bodden is also much better in man coverage.

According to profootballfocus.com Bodden was the 14th ranked corner in the league this year. I haven't taken the time to read how the site calculates their ratings.

Interesting, thank you for the link. I haven't looked over it in depth yet but a quick look over at NFL QB Rating on passes his way is a very good 59.3. On the surface this seems to support my notion that he was a top 15 CB this season.

Leigh Bodden Could Choose Big Contract Over Playoff Wins.

Playoff wins? Seems like that improves our chances.

Playoff wins? [/Mora]

Last edited:
Why "should he show loyalty to the team" after it was the team which offered him a 1 year deal? Are we Spartans now?

The article said the Patriots offered him a multiple year deal.

That's my point. "Fair" has everything to do with market value of a starting CB, and nothing to do with what's in your mind. Bodden won't stay for $5M, other teams will offer "fair market value" in the $6-7 range, and we'll be stuck looking for a CB and rebuilding our secondary on the fly. That sucks a lot more than paying the $6-7M does.

Heck, as far as I'm concerned all these salaries are obscene. That doesn't matter. Welker signed his deal, and he'll get almost $2M (plus another $2M if you amortize his signing bonus, so it's not so pitiful) to recuperate from his injury next season. I also suspect that if he appears to be on the road to a full recovery the Pats will extend his contract within a year, as his current deal expires after the 2011 season and we won't want him to sniff FA. He'll end up making plenty of money.

If Bodden leaves because he's a mercenary and some team throws ridiculous money at him, or because he thinks he's an elite CB and deserves more than $6-7M/year, then good riddance and we move on as best we can. But if he ends up leaving because we're cheap and low-ball him and won't pay what the market value is, then shame on us and we will only have ourselves to blame next year when our secondary is a shambles the way it was in 2008.
Oh believe me mayoclinic, I have a fundamental understanding of business workings and what's perceived as fair and what's market value. I don't believe Bodden is in the same class as elite corners in the game, but he's a very good corner who played to a high level last season. He's more that Greer-Foxworth level as you rightfully pointed out.

My Welker point is more about the highway robbery deal the Patriots have for his sort of production. The guy performs every single week. You really can't buy that sort of consistency for the level of performance Welker provides.

As for player salaries, well the money is where the corporate dollar is and football sure has a slice of that pie.

This might have to end up spawning off into its own thread. :p

For the Patriots DBs they have opposing QB Rating on passes their way as the following:

Bodden: 59.3
Butler: 67.6
Springs: 94.1
Wilhite: 115.3

Bodden may not be as coveted as either Dunta Robinson or Carlos Rogers. I'd say he's the #3 on the market even though it's pretty close when you realize that all 3 guys are "show me the money" types who have had spotty inconsistent seasons mixed in with good seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back