PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bodden says he wants market value

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might have to end up spawning off into its own thread. :p

For the Patriots DBs they have opposing QB Rating on passes their way as the following:

Bodden: 59.3
Butler: 67.6
Springs: 94.1
Wilhite: 115.3

I found the site a few months ago and started a thread asking what people thought. One of the responses from a poster was to the effect that it is run by some British folk and questions its accuracy.

IMO it may not be gospel but it does a decent enough job to help wrap some analysis around what are eyes tell us.

Last edited:
heh, can you guess who leads the CBs in missed tackles according to PFF?

Asomugha was only thrown at 28 times all year!!!?

Revis was thrown at 111 times! (And led DBs in catch %, with only 41 receptions allowed). Seems people tested him a lot, and he proved his game all season.

Bodden 5th in the NFL in catch% at 50% (48/97)
Butler 56.3%, Wilhite 65.7%, Springs 66%. (BTW Samuel 67.2%)

Last edited:
Its only fair that he expects a market value. Abuse taken by NFL players is far too much and career ending injury is always in the back of their mind I guess. Let us see how far Bodden and Patriots differ in the assessment.

Last edited:
that's the sad truth

Damn straight it is...wilhiite..pffft, cut your losses...ooooooops hold on "Count the losses Bill- they add up quick when Wilhiite is on the field"

We need to tell this guy to pound sand. He isn't worth it, being just an average CB, and doesn't make many plays, interceptions, etc. Also it causes dissention in the ranks as he is making a lot more than other deserving players.

Pound sand Bodden!

Yes, he should show some loyalty. If not, then sayonara. We don't need greedy bums like him "it's just business". He's already a multi-millionaire.

Put Peppers in the elephant position for 9M. He'd have a field day and have a great chance at a championship. Average CBs would look great with a pass rush.

We need to tell this guy to pound sand. He isn't worth it, being just an average CB, and doesn't make many plays, interceptions, etc. Also it causes dissention in the ranks as he is making a lot more than other deserving players.

Pound sand Bodden!

Yes, he should show some loyalty. If not, then sayonara. We don't need greedy bums like him "it's just business". He's already a multi-millionaire.

Put Peppers in the elephant position for 9M. He'd have a field day and have a great chance at a championship. Average CBs would look great with a pass rush.

Great plan. We can probably get Deltha O'Neal back for cheap, and Peppers should make him look like Darrelle Revis .... NOT.

By all means get a pass rush. It will make our good CBs look great, and it might even make our less than good CBs look good. I don't think Peppers for $9M is the answer (it will take more than $9M and I don't really think Peppers is worth it), but we should definitely get the pass rush. But before you call Bodden a "greedy bum" why don't you see what it takes to keep him. I'd use those words on Peppers more than on Bodden based on past history and spotty performance.

Pound sand Bodden!

9Mill for JP huh............really?
Is that per month?

My personal obs is that players don't have affection for Bill, as his style is somewhat impersonal; emotional coaches like Rex Ryan or Tom Cable may connect better with players; but that is dangerous territory also. The business like approach must work just well in the long haul.

I have no clue why he should give preference to the patriots, unless PERHAPS if the offers are almost equal. Even then, he may find other teams more interesting than the patriots.

Market value has no relationship to fair.

OK, let me be more clear. Market "value" is based on what the market will pay, given what players are available, the need, and what teams are willing to pay. It is not based some kind of arbitration based on performance and values of last year's contracts.

I suspect that they are several teams willing to pay more than the patriots are willing to pay, especially in a no-cap year.

And yes, I believe that almost everyone here will say that Bodden was overpaid once we see his new contract.

Market value has everything to do with what's "fair".

The going market value for a solid starting CB last year was in the $6-7 million range. Bodden certainly meets the definition of a solid starting CB. You can't argue that an offer averaging $4M/year, for example, could be considered "fair". And if Bodden wants to hold out for franchise CB money in the $8-10M/year range I don't think anyone would consider that "fair", even though someone may be dumb enough to overspend.

Just because Bodden wants to be paid isn't enough. Does he want to be paid as a solid starting CB, or is he under the delusion that he's earned "elite CB" status? If the latter, good luck to him, as he won't (and shouldn't) get that kind of money from the Pats. I agree with Slash83, $7M/year is as high as I would go.

OTOH, if the Pats try to lowball Bodden and then cry because he goes somewhere else for $6-7M/year, they have no one to blame but themselves. They won't get a comparable caliber veeran CB for cheaper on a long term deal, and there's a price to pay for stability in the secondary. I would hope that 2008 has taught the Pats the value of that kind of stability.

We always knew that Bodden would want market value. That's why he wasn't willing to take a multi-year contract this offseason. And he's already played for the Lions and the Browns- it's not like he can go to a team that's any worse than what he's already played for.

We always knew that Bodden would want market value. That's why he wasn't willing to take a multi-year contract this offseason. And he's already played for the Lions and the Browns- it's not like he can go to a team that's any worse than what he's already played for.

I wish him well at his next stop.

I hope we resign him, even at 7M per year. If we can somehow get a pass rush through FA and the draft I think he and DB will be very good corners next year.

Bodden is a solid corner. Excellent technique and terrific recovery speed and instincts. We have to sign him, CBs just aren't expendable like RBs and punters are. I expect to see Bodden and Butler next year.

I think Pees' passive defensive philosophy didn't put Bodden in the position to make alot of game changing plays, so this will mean his FA price tag won't be as lucrative as it could have been with a better DC . Hence I think we should thank Pees for possibly not pricing us out of retaining Bodden!

Signing Bodden is no. 2 priority behind Wilfork I think.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes