PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BOB 'Completely Reworking' Pats Offense

The changes I’m expecting to see
1. More RPOs
2. More play action
3. Better use of hot routes when opposing defenses blitz
4. More tempo
5. More cohesive line play
I didn’t get why the Pats haven’t used RPOs since Jones got here. The teams in the NFL are using them a lot these days and Jones was arguably one of the most efficient QBs in college football when running the RPO in 2020, but even McDaniels never ran them. Jones was a great RPO QB in college.

I read that 19% of Jones’ pass attempts at Bama were RPOs. And he was awesome when he did.

Here is a video of how Sarkisian used the RPO with Mac.

I didn’t get why the Pats haven’t used RPOs since Jones got here. The teams in the NFL are using them a lot these days and Jones was arguably one of the most efficient QBs in college football when running the RPO in 2020, but even McDaniels never ran them. Jones was a great RPO QB in college.

I read that 19% of Jones’ pass attempts at Bama were RPOs. And he was awesome when he did.

Here is a video of how Sarkisian used the RPO with Mac.

"In college, a forward pass beyond the line of scrimmage is illegal if any offensive linemen are more than 3 yards down the field. In the NFL, it’s a flag if a lineman is more than 1 yard downfield. That rule difference alone has a considerable impact, as college defensive coaches often point out."

I don’t want to win in spite of Mac I want a QB who is the reason we can win.
To build around his strengths and avoid his limits and weaknesses.
The trajectory we should be on is what the jags are on.. COACHING made a world of difference with them from Oscar urban Meyer..

"In college, a forward pass beyond the line of scrimmage is illegal if any offensive linemen are more than 3 yards down the field. In the NFL, it’s a flag if a lineman is more than 1 yard downfield. That rule difference alone has a considerable impact, as college defensive coaches often point out."

That affects downhill running, not passing.

Yes, they use the RPO differently in the NFL. There are less downfield passing. They don’t do downhill running as much in the NFL. And the NFL doesn’t use the QB as a runner as much. Two of those differences do not affect Jones as a QB.

I agree! Mac was running the Brady patriots offense under Josh his rookie season.. so basically as we know that offense really didn't have many RPOs. However I just know that BOB will have plenty of them for Mac to run this season.. I'm expecting a multiple, more modern version this season.

good-satisfied.gif
200.gif

Father and son?

That affects downhill running, not passing.

Seriously? The college rule is that linemen can get 3 yards downfield on pass plays. Which makes it easier to disguise passes as runs. Anything that affects passing affects running and anything that affects running affects passing. That's why it's called Run-Pass-Option.

(OK. I'm done.)

Source: Breer: Bill O'Brien is 'completely reworking' the Patriots offense

"I think it's going to be a hybrid of a lot of different things," Breer said. "I think it's going to have some stuff that they did at Alabama that Mac is going to be comfortable with, because Mac was at Alabama. ... (O'Brien) coached Deshaun Watson in Houston, he coached Bryce Young the last couple years at Alabama, so he's got a lot of different ideas.
"I think he's got really great perspective because he does have the bones of the Patriots offense, but he's gonna be able to do some things that I think are on the cutting edge of where the sport is going."
That should be music to the ears of Patriots fans who watched the offense stagnate under Patricia and Jones in 2022. But this also means that Jones will have to learn a new playbook for the third time in three seasons, which is a lot of change for a young QB.
The final product of O'Brien's offense should look a lot better, but how quickly Jones and his teammates pick it up will be a very interesting storyline this summer.

My first thoughts: how are the trolls here going to spin this into being a bad thing? The obvious one is they're making it too complicated, it's gonna fail. Who knows, in a few months maybe they'll be calling for the return of MP and his simple offense. We've seen it all here, right?
reverand-brown-i-know-theres-a-god.gif

Seriously? The college rule is that linemen can get 3 yards downfield on pass plays. Which makes it easier to disguise passes as runs. Anything that affects passing affects running and anything that affects running affects passing. That's why it's called Run-Pass-Option.

(OK. I'm done.)

Sorry. I screwed up. I should have said downfield passing. And that is why in the NFL they don’t use the RPO as much as college for vertical passing.

Either way, it doesn’t mean the Pats cannot use it a decent amount of time and Jones to be very successful. Both the Eagles and Chiefs used the RPO a lot last year. And Miami was really successful with it last year with Tua.

Sorry. I screwed up. I should have said downfield passing. And that is why in the NFL they don’t use the RPO as much as college for vertical passing.

Either way, it doesn’t mean the Pats cannot use it a decent amount of time and Jones to be very successful. Both the Eagles and Chiefs used the RPO a lot last year. And Miami was really successful with it last year with Tua.
One thing we can certainly agree on was that last year was an embarrassment.

Until the end of the season they hardly even used play-action. They were having terrible trouble just getting lined up and the ball snapped on time without giving the QB the discretion to alter plays after the snap. If the line is properly coached and prepared this coming year, then all kinds of deception becomes possible.

Let’s not forget he had full control in Houston for many years and had mediocre offenses. After he was fired, Watson had his best season as a pro.

Yet, when he returns to NE, he’s got all these tricks up his sleeve?

Curb Your Enthusiasm Ok GIF

Being a head coach vs an offensive coordinator are two different things.

Unless you think Weis and Crennel were bad at their jobs when they were here as coordinators?

There should be some sort of prize for the first person who calls for Matty P to come back and run the offense.

it will probably happen on the first incomplete pass in the gameday thread

Let’s not forget he had full control in Houston for many years and had mediocre offenses. After he was fired, Watson had his best season as a pro.

Curb Your Enthusiasm Ok GIF
One could easily say after they traded Hopkins, Watson had his best offensive season as a pro. Must also help to be playing hero ball all the time playing behind. I mean he was still 4-8 as a starter after BOB left, which I wouldn't consider his best season.

Don’t overthink this, the bones of the offense are the Earnhardt-Perkins system. It’s where Obie came from in NE and it’s the same system Saban ran at Alabama.

Many years?

His GM screwed him and Deshaun Watson by ignoring the offensive line for 5 years before he took over control of personnel. A year later he was gone.

He was also young in coaching years, undoubtedly he also learned from his Penn State and Alabama experiences and grew.

One thing that can’t be denied about Obie winning his division 4 times in Houston. his teams were annually one of the least penalized teams in the league.

People aren’t overestimating how good Obie is, you’re underestimating how bad things were under Patricia. You’re the same whiner you were on boston.com a decade ago… maybe worse.

I prefer the NFL version of that rule.

He’s overrated by most on the board.

Coming from you that means less than nothing.

Right, like the majority of the board last year was defending a DC becoming an OC overnight and Judge on offense.

No. Most people here were skeptical, a few downright condemned it from the start and others suggested a wait-and-see approach.

Your negative takes on everything are becoming a royal pain in the ass. Are you and Triumph related?

The offense will obviously be better than last year

The question is about the ceiling

And as others have said, a lot of that depends on the players... coaching can only do much of the players aren't up to snuff.

But it's safe to say the offense will be solid

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back