PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Blount Signs with Pats (2yr deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet Blount will go ham on the Steelers if we get to play them in the playoffs.

I like it. I think he's a bit overrated here. But he's still a good RB and I don't want to be in a situation where Gray is our only between the tackles runner.

2 yrs at veteran minium and contract language *that I am sure* represents the shortest leash ever manufactured.

Not overrated. They have nothing to lose on this.

And they kept him away from Denver!

I'd say that Dobson takes a seat somewhere

As for Siliga, the pats are carrying 12 DB's.........one of them......the fat guys have all shown value

Because he's Shane Vereen's backup. (Which also explains why he's been inactive -- Vereen's had his healthiest season so far, knock on wood.)

Last year with only one RB with good receiving/pass protection skills on the roster, the Patriots lost a whole chunk of their playbook after his injury. Brandon Bolden is NOT the answer in the passing game.

When Vereen was out, they still scored points. When Gronk goes out..then the offense hurts big time.

I think BB and the coaching staff likes White. Assuming he can step in and run the same plays with the effectiveness of Vereen is an unknown to me.

We do know that if Gray goes down, this team now needs to rely on Vereen as their "physical" RB- which he is not.

As a front-line player, Bolden is not ideal but he can run, catch, block, backups both all 3 RB positions and plays ST- which makes his roster spot more valuable to the team than White.

To me, it seems pretty straightforward with what they will do.

I'm guessing the two year deal will be for less money than his Pittsburgh contract, which is why they waited. It's an interesting move, bringing in a guy who was waived for disliking a reduced role... to play him in a running back by committee system. We'll see how it works out, but it is nice to have depth behind Gray now. I wouldn't have trusted any other back to be a horse down the stretch.
Vet minimum with a known element at coaching and I'm sure BB was upfront about his role. Plus, he might really understand that the grass is greener here.

Plus, he's heading to a team that has a legitimate shot at a deep post season run. Probably appears as a win to him and a win for us. (solid runner, good effort kid, easy contract to unload if issues crop up).

When Vereen was out, they still scored points. When Gronk goes out..then the offense hurts big time.

I think BB and the coaching staff likes White. Assuming he can step in and run the same plays with the effectiveness of Vereen is an unknown to me.

We do know that if Gray goes down, this team now needs to rely on Vereen as their "physical" RB- which he is not.

As a front-line player, Bolden is not ideal but he can run, catch, block, backups both all 3 RB positions and plays ST- which makes his roster spot more valuable to the team than White.

To me, it seems pretty straightforward with what they will do.

So, you think that for the first time ever, Belichick will cut a 3rd rounder in his rookie season?

Why are people mentioning Bolden? He's not going anywhere - - very good STer and can fill in ok at RB (and as a pass catcher out of the backfield is our 2nd best at that to vereen, so he is also Vereen insurance).

Possible cuts (because they will need 2 when Siliga gets in):

Chris White
Casey Walker
James White (IR)
Devey (maybe to PS)

I like the move and was hoping for it. That being said, given everything that has happened on this board in the last two days, I got a hearty laugh out of this. :D

We needed a 2nd power running back. Whether he gets significant reps is an open issue.

We have 12 defensive backs and lots of special teamers. It seems that at least one of the two cuts should come from these units.

Jones, Ebner (perhaps to IR), Wilson, Harmon, White, and Bolden all come to mind as potential cuts.

Hilarious!
Loved the brickbats received in the other thread when I advocated this signing as improving the team, albeit with the caveat that BB felt Blount's assholeness would not be a detriment to the team.

It's really simple folks. If you pay any attention to BB's comments he always says with player moves that his job is to make moves to improve the team. Were Gray to go down, we could be toast post season. This way we have depth AND someone to share the grinding, arduous task of pounding into the line. BB has always preferred to share the carries.

The question is still open as to who goes. Shmessy & mg are probably correct as to who goes but I still think Bolden is a possibility despite his ST contributions as we seem to have depth there. Bolden is unlikely to be signed by anyone so God forbid were we to lose a RB Bolden could be activated off the shadow roster.

White was a 4th rounder and no- they will IR him.
When was the last time the patriots IRed a player without an injury? The team used to do that and was called on it (Kingsbury?). Belichick has been more "honest" with his IR lists in recent times.

You know, all along I have been complaining that BB's biggest gaffe this offseason was letting Blount walk to Pittsburgh over a few hundred thousand.

Sometimes a team can slip on a banana peel and land in a bed of roses.

If they HAD signed Blount in the offseason (for more money and far less behavior clauses that I'm sure they have on him now) they never would have brought in Jonas Gray and seen what they have in him.

Now they have both at minimum salaries for 2 years and a VERY short contract leash on Mr. Blount.

My complaint about the original strategy stands, but I'm just shaking my head and laughing at how perfect this all turned out for the Pats.

I love it. Wanted him back here in the offseason. The team now has two big, bruising backs (one of which is a former 1,000 yard runner) and a scat back/3rd down type in Vereen. We're in decent shape in the offensive backfield, assuming no injuries. Very big fan of this move.

Last edited:
I remember how useless he was at the beginning of last season and how great he was by the end. Buffalo must have been shocked -- they saw two completely different players. Very happy with this move.

Yes, Belichick went into the season with weak depth at several positions.

Yes, now we have Gray, Ayers, Cassilas and Branch.

Sometimes a team can slip on a banana peel and land in a bed of roses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe