PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Blog: Pats sig Eric Warfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
YES! AHAH no need for a CB in Draft i hope.

Summary of Scouts, Inc's report:

69 grade (high end of adequate starter category)

"Multiple DUI arrests...suspension under NFL substance abuse policy...good athlete with cover skills..."willing" in run support"...can gamble too much...can struggle mentally...not a very good jammer at the line...someone [Pats] will take a chance..."

Last edited:
We (including myself) give the scout.com (patriotsinsider) crap but they had this one and said yesterday they believed it was still a done deal with just a few details to work out so credit to them on this one.

Real solid signing here.

Hey, at least hes a veteran. 3 DUIs..if he gets 1 here id say hes gone unless hes contributing very solidly..hm..competetion at #2? Nickel?

He is a solid pickup. Although I still would like to see a DB drafted, I feel pretty comfortable with our CB corps. Samuel, Gay, Hobbs, Scott, and Warfield are a solid group. I think we should still try to grab someone maybe who has the versatility to play either S or CB.

Good signing. Warfield will at least push Hobbs to solidify his starting role opposite of Asante. Warfield, a Cornhusker, has spent his entire nine NFL years in Kansas City, so it will be interesting to see how he copes with the change in lifestyle.

tatepatsfan said:
He is a solid pickup. Although I still would like to see a DB drafted, I feel pretty comfortable with our CB corps. Samuel, Gay, Hobbs, Scott, and Warfield are a solid group. I think we should still try to grab someone maybe who has the versatility to play either S or CB.

Tom Casseli (sp?) from PFW mentioned that Warfield can play S, apparently he used to cover the Chiefs.

Isaac said:
Tom Casseli (sp?) from PFW mentioned that Warfield can play S, apparently he used to cover the Chiefs.
That was mentioned and they said he could play both positions...I heard someone else say that as well..Felger?? A good signing!! But they will draft a CB later Day two...

if we do take a CB..like late first day..i would like Danieal Manning..small school....big player. Hes got speed and is a ball hawk.

I like this move...gotta be better than Starks for a fraction of the cost.

A little info from his website:

http://www.edub44.com/

Pro Career:

Supremely talented cornerback enters his sixth season with the Chiefs in 2003 and his third season as a full-time starter ... After opening four games in his initial three NFL campaigns, enters this year owning a streak of 32 straight starts ... Opened every game at left corner in 2002 after starting at the right CB post in 2001 ... Has shown flashes of brilliance throughout his career, but has registered consistent numbers each of the past two seasons ... Collected four INTs apiece each of the past two years ... Registered a career-high 77 tackles in 2001 and followed that up with 72 stops a year ago when he led the squad with a career-best 15 passes defensed ... Possesses the physical tools and the technique to compete on a consistent basis with the NFL’s top wide receivers ... Owns excellent recovery speed and a remarkable vertical leap, giving him the ability to bat down balls and come up with big plays in key situations ... Is also capable of pulling off the big play, registering his first pro score for a 51-yard TD vs. Oakland (9/9/01) and making a huge fourth-quarter INT in a 17-16 win vs. Buffalo (11/17/02) ... Owns eight INTs over the past two campaigns, which ties S Greg Wesley for the best mark on the team over that span, while his 26 passes defensed over that span are second to no other Chiefs defender ... Has made tremendous strides since joining the club as a seventh-round draft choice in ’98 ... After appearing in just two games on defense and playing primarily on special teams as a rookie in ’98, burst upon the scene as the Chiefs nickel corner in all 16 games in ’99 and started one contest at left corner ... Appeared in 13 contests with three starts in 2000, but was hampered by a back injury for a good portion of the season before staking his claim to a full-time starting role in 2001 ... Owns 73 games of regular season NFL experience with 36 starts ... Has tallied 11 INTs for 91 yards with a 51-yard TD, in addition to 195 tackles (156 solo), 39 passes defensed, two forced fumbles, a fumble recovery and a QB pressure ... Has been a key special teams performer, owning 31 tackles, a forced fumble and a 20-yard blocked FG return on special teams in the pros after producing three blocked kicks during his collegiate career ... Made the jump to cornerback after playing safety at the University of Nebraska ... Joined the Chiefs as the club’s first of two selections in the seventh round (216th overall) of the ’98 NFL Draft.

Personal bio:

First player from the state of Arkansas to earn a football scholarship for the Cornhuskers since those records began being kept in ’71 ... Prepped at Arkansas High School in Texarkana, Arkansas, the same city where his mother currently runs a foster home ... Hosts an annual football camp in his hometown along with fellow Texarkana native, WR Rod Smith (Denver) ... Works closely with the Love Fund for Children. Invites foster children to Arrowhead each month for a pizza party, locker room tour and a chance to meet Coach Vermeil ... Also took a group of children to dinner and the opening night of “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets†in 2002 ... Attends the annual “Jolly Jingle Jams Kids Party†at the Sunflower House, a child abuse prevention center ... Full name: Eric Andrew Warfield ... Single ... Resides in Leawood, Kansas.

Had a game with 12 solo tackles last year, from the CB position.... now that's a Belichick corner.

Here's hoping for the best as we welcome the redoubtable Mr. Warfield!

PFnV

Should be interesting at CB in camp.

Hobbs. Warfield. Gay. Samuel. Scott.

Can you name one of those who will be a starter for sure . . . or one who won't be a starter for sure ?

PatsFanInVa said:
Had a game with 12 solo tackles last year, from the CB position.... now that's a Belichick corner.

Here's hoping for the best as we welcome the redoubtable Mr. Warfield!

PFnV

A corner having 12 solo tackles isn't necessarily a good thing. Particularly if they were on pass completions to his side of the field.

Do you happen to know which game it was? I'd like to just take a look at the play-by-play to see if they were on completion or not.

BelichickFan said:
Should be interesting at CB in camp.

Hobbs. Warfield. Gay. Samuel. Scott.

Can you name one of those who will be a starter for sure . . . or one who won't be a starter for sure ?

Sure. Samuel will be a starter and Scott will be a backup. It's a tossup between the other three.

well he had 9 tackles against us

I like the signing and I can also see the Pats picking up a linebacker before the draft.

According to the stats I see, he had :

11 solos vs. Oakland on 11/6
9 solos vs. Houston on 11/20
9 solos vs. NE on 11/27

They were his > 6 tackle games.

Seymour93 said:
Sure. Samuel will be a starter and Scott will be a backup. It's a tossup between the other three.
Now, now.

Samuel is probably a better slot CB than starter. I guarantee that you can't guarantee he starts.

My prediction?

Samuel: #1

Scott #2

Warfield #3

Hobbs #4

Gay #5

Poteat #6

We have fabulous depth in the secondary this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call