PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Biggest Draft Busts

Two candidates who had a good claim to be on the list: David Terrell and Johnathan Sullivan.

And a pet peeve.

Why do they label guys whose career never got going because of injuries "busts"? By the time a professional footballer is through college his body has taken more punishment than most people will do in their entire lifetime. All of these players are one popped vertebra or bad bone break away from the end of their careers -- and they know it. Would you label Robert Edwards a bust? Would he have been a bust if his injury had come before his Pro Bowl season, not after it?

Were are Hart Lee Dykes, Chris Singleton, Eugene Chung and Chris Canty.

It was the last 20 years.

Besides, those guys have to wait in line for the Patriots award.

I give it to the year they drafted Dennis Byrd then called him to find out he was getting his knee operated on at that moment.

They almost drafted a player who was dead that year also.

Two candidates who had a good claim to be on the list: David Terrell and Johnathan Sullivan.

And a pet peeve.

Why do they label guys whose career never got going because of injuries "busts"? By the time a professional footballer is through college his body has taken more punishment than most people will do in their entire lifetime. All of these players are one popped vertebra or bad bone break away from the end of their careers -- and they know it. Would you label Robert Edwards a bust? Would he have been a bust if his injury had come before his Pro Bowl season, not after it?

I totally agree. However, teams should be aware about serious injuries before drafting.

And there is no excuse for almost drafting someone who's been dead awhile, (see above). That's just a lack of due diligence.:bricks:

I totally agree. However, teams should be aware about serious injuries before drafting.

The problem is: so many players have injuries that are potentially very serious. What is remarkable is how well many of them recover, given modern surgery and rehabilitation techniques -- but not all do, and some relatively minor injuries turn out to be recurrent. Teams know that they are getting players who have been injured in the past: it's just incredibly hard to predict how that will affect their future.

And there is no excuse for almost drafting someone who's been dead awhile, (see above). That's just a lack of due diligence.:bricks:

I suppose that they save on the work-out bonus ... :)

I agree. Too early to call him a bust. Would NOT have taken him so high. The other thing is, in hind sight, how many teams with a top ten pick in ANY draft year like to go back and pick a different guy that went AFTER their own pick? Sure, there are PLENTY of successes in those top 10, but probably just as many busts.

Back to Eli, he's not even in the same category as guys like Leaf, Marinovich, Smith, Klingler, and others. He MAY end up to be a Tim Couch, but Couch took 4 years to sniff the PO's, Eli has been the last 2 years of his short 3 year career.

I'd have to agree that bust is too strong. He's not very good, but he's not as inept as the others you mentioned. Regarding the cost to the franchise, he's definitely a disappointment.

But there is still time for Eli to come completely undone. He may still prove to be a Leaf/Klingler/Couch bust.

Does David Carr make the list?

I'd have to agree that bust is too strong. He's not very good, but he's not as inept as the others you mentioned. Regarding the cost to the franchise, he's definitely a disappointment.

But there is still time for Eli to come completely undone. He may still prove to be a Leaf/Klingler/Couch bust.

Does David Carr make the list?
Cost wise, yeah, Giants screwed up. He is on the edge, can go either way. Plax made some great plays for him, but he also has cost the team Big Time. I don't think he'll sink to Leaf level. Right now, he's a step above Tim Couch.

As far as Carr goes, I still think he has a shot, I like him and think a change of venue could be good for him. The TEXANS for cripes sakes!

I think he'll get a shot in Carolina, Jake the Snake is turning out to be a fake (ha ha). He's gotten WAY too many "passes" on his poor performances. They will be chanting Carr's name by mid season.

Leaf is unquestionably #1. But as Dabruinz pointed out, its what was given up to get a guy that makes a bust big.

And on that note, I gotta say my runner up at #2 has to go to Ricky Rastamon Williams. Heres a guy with so much talent, but without desire and a total peabrain. And that is sad.

For what Dimwit Ditka gave up for Ricky??? He's gotta be #2. Im still shocked that NO has recovered from that whole debacle. And in fairly short order.

rickywilliams.jpg
Is that visine in your water bottle Ricky??

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back