PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Biggest Draft Busts

God, there are so many to pick from.

Mike Mamule, Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Robert Gallery, Akili Smith, Reggie Dupard, Todd Marinovich, Hart Lee Dykes, Chris Canty, Mike Williams (BOTH), Eli Manning, Charles Rogers, David Terrell, Koren Robinson, Courtney Brown, Peter Warrick, Ki-Jana Carter, Andre Wadsworth, Curtis Enis, Heath Shuler, Dan Wilkinson, Antonio Langham, Steve Emtman, Tommy Vardell, Blair Thomas, Brent Fullwood, Mike Junkin.

And my pick for the winner is...... ELI MANNING.. No. SERIOUSLY. With how much the Giants gave up, he's been a TOTAL bust. My #2 pick would be Ryan Leaf.

Mike Mamule, Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Robert Gallery, Akili Smith, Reggie Dupard, Todd Marinovich, Hart Lee Dykes, Chris Canty, Mike Williams (BOTH), Eli Manning, Charles Rogers, David Terrell, Koren Robinson, Courtney Brown, Peter Warrick, Ki-Jana Carter, Andre Wadsworth, Curtis Enis, Heath Shuler, Dan Wilkinson, Antonio Langham, Steve Emtman, Tommy Vardell, Blair Thomas, Brent Fullwood, Mike Junkin.

And my pick for the winner is...... ELI MANNING.. No. SERIOUSLY. With how much the Giants gave up, he's been a TOTAL bust. My #2 pick would be Ryan Leaf.

I agree that Eli has been downright awful. The only reason he hasn't gotten as much criticism as he deserves is because his last name is Manning.

WOW. Just read through their list and I am surprised they didn't list a SINGLE PATRIOT. Nor did they like Mike Mamula...

*pondering* I wonder if Mamula paid them off not to include him......

WOW. Just read through their list and I am surprised they didn't list a SINGLE PATRIOT. Nor did they like Mike Mamula...

*pondering* I wonder if Mamula paid them off not to include him......

I wouldnt call a player who had 28 sacks in 4 years a bust

thats why the welker trade makes sense

So how many Indy players where on that list :cool: :D

Were are Hart Lee Dykes, Chris Singleton, Eugene Chung and Chris Canty.

Ryan Leaf is from Great Falls, a few towns away from where I'm from.

What a shame...

Jeff Ament (Pearl Jam) is from a 2 towns away, so that makes up for much of it though...

and then David Lynch is from the town that I currently live in...

Last edited:
What is this Penn State RB jinx their referring too? It's warning me to take Hunt off of my want list.

What is this Penn State RB jinx their referring too? It's warning me to take Hunt off of my want list.

I think Larry Johnson kind of flies in the face of that "jinx."

Last edited:
LOL, you guys are such blow hards! I was as surprised as anyone that Eli went so high in the first place. But to put him on a list of BUSTS at this point is comical. If you believe what you write, then you are, as they say, just plain dumb.

LOL, you guys are such blow hards! I was as surprised as anyone that Eli went so high in the first place. But to put him on a list of BUSTS at this point is comical. If you believe what you write, then you are, as they say, just plain dumb.

Yes, I believe it and I can guarantee you that I am not dumb. You, on the other hand, well, anyways. Thanks for sharing your DUMB unsupported opinion.

Yes, I believe it and I can guarantee you that I am not dumb. You, on the other hand, well, anyways. Thanks for sharing your DUMB unsupported opinion.
ANY of those QB's on that list ever make the playoffs?? Who on that list is still in the league? How many years did it take for those QB's on the list to actually MAKE the list? He's got 3 years in, and has been to the playoffs twice. WHAT QB's on the BUST list can say that? What QB do you call a BUST after THREE years, and they are STILL A STARTER??? How's that for a supporting opinion, DUM DUM.

Last edited:
How about the entire draft record of Bobby Grier 1997 thru 1999??

who ended up contributing from 3 years worth of picks.

Kevin Faulk and Damian Woody??

Pete Carroll didnt get a lot of help here.

Eli is not a bust. Hell no I wouldn't have picked him in the top 10, but labeling him a bust is harsh. He won't be Peyton, but you can't write him off yet. Eli =/= Joey Harrington.

Of course Ryan Leaf has to be #1. That guy set SD way back. And a turd to boot.

And yeah.. Bobby Grier takes up at least 20 spots on our Draft bust list. What a joke. You look at BB/Pioli then him.. *shudder*

Last edited:
Eli is not a bust. Hell no I wouldn't have picked him in the top 10, but labeling him a bust is harsh. He won't be Peyton, but you can't write him off yet. Eli =/= Joey Harrington.

Of course Ryan Leaf has to be #1. That guy set SD way back. And a turd to boot.

And yeah.. Bobby Grier takes up at least 20 spots on our Draft bust list. What a joke. You look at BB/Pioli then him.. *shudder*
I agree. Too early to call him a bust. Would NOT have taken him so high. The other thing is, in hind sight, how many teams with a top ten pick in ANY draft year like to go back and pick a different guy that went AFTER their own pick? Sure, there are PLENTY of successes in those top 10, but probably just as many busts.

Back to Eli, he's not even in the same category as guys like Leaf, Marinovich, Smith, Klingler, and others. He MAY end up to be a Tim Couch, but Couch took 4 years to sniff the PO's, Eli has been the last 2 years of his short 3 year career.

Blair Thomas, Curtis Enis, Ki-Jana Carter... all were pretty notable busts. LJ fell partly because of it.

Mamula wasn't really a bust. He was like a shooting star... glimpses and then just disappeared and got hurt.

It's probably too early to call him a bust but he is on his way. Career completion percentage of 54.1 and a rating of 73.2 are mediocre numbers. For comparison's sake, at the same point in his career Peyton had a 60.4 completion percentageand a rating of 85.5 But really my point was that I don't understand how he can put up such mediocre numbers and get such little criticism. He is at the point where he should be under serious question. Is he as bad as Leaf or Couch, no, but there is no way you can't say he hasn't been a big dissapointment.

Last edited:
I have a dartboard with Bobby Grier on it, Chris Canty & Tebucky Jones. Show my man O-T-I-S the door to the J-E-T-S. Please. I KNOW I could have done a better job than Grier did.
But in hindsight, if Grier had done a good job, Pete Carroll would still be HC of the PATS, USC wouldn't have won back to back championships & the Pats also wouldn't have a showcase full of Lombardi's.
(I was ready to vote for Wendy Whoppers as the Biggest Bust)

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back