PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Better Rookie Season - Hightower or Jones?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Better Rookie Season?

• Chandler Jones

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Dont'a Hightower

Votes: 42 72.4%
  • Neither will have significant Rookie seasons.

Votes: 5 8.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be shocked to see either one of them win ROY. For now, though, I'm mostly just wondering what their respective roles will be. They'll both bring a lot of versatility, so it will be intriguing to see how it all shakes out. Until we know a little more, I wouldn't feel comfortable even guessing who will be more productive as a rookie.

Mayo and McCourty started from Day 1.

Spikes, Chung, Cunningham, Meriweather all saw significant playing time as Rookies.

Also Nate Solder. Remember that Solder and McCourty were both widely regarded as projects, and both were effective as starters for virtually their entire rookie seasons.

I wouldn't be shocked to see either one of them win ROY. For now, though, I'm mostly just wondering what their respective roles will be. They'll both bring a lot of versatility, so it will be intriguing to see how it all shakes out. Until we know a little more, I wouldn't feel comfortable even guessing who will be more productive as a rookie.

Shocked?!? I wouldn't bet on either getting it, but I certainly wouldn't be shocked. Mike Mayock who is a very good draft analyst said that Jones was the best defensive player in the draft. If he is right, DROY isn't a stretch. Hightower's versatility and knowledge of the defense gives him a good chance of making an impact right away.

I haven't decided who I think will be DROY. I probably won't pick either Jones or Hightower, but I certainly wouldn't be shocked if either won it. Both have the potential to be better than Mayo and Mayo won the award.

Also Nate Solder. Remember that Solder and McCourty were both widely regarded as projects, and both were effective as starters for virtually their entire rookie seasons.

Yes, Solder was raw and needed to work on his technique. McCourty was supposed to be a special teamer only and grow into a nickelback by a lot of assessments.

Don't forget Eugene Wilson started his second game as a rookie at safety. Ras-I Dowling started at CB in the first game last year.

Shocked?!? I wouldn't bet on either getting it, but I certainly wouldn't be shocked. Mike Mayock who is a very good draft analyst said that Jones was the best defensive player in the draft. If he is right, DROY isn't a stretch. Hightower's versatility and knowledge of the defense gives him a good chance of making an impact right away.

I haven't decided who I think will be DROY. I probably won't pick either Jones or Hightower, but I certainly wouldn't be shocked if either won it. Both have the potential to be better than Mayo and Mayo won the award.

mayock also said robert ayers would be the best defensive player in his draft class lol....didnt even come close mayock

Considering the defense Hightower comes from, we expect him at the very least to be solid. So Jones having the better rookie season means very good things for our defense.

Remind me to never take your posts seriously again.

Bequette is a OLB/DE... Wright was DT.... Theres a massive weight difference between the two, and they are built NOTHING alike at all.

Greetings,
I see Bequette having a 7 or 8 sack season along with 20 tackles, without starting a game. My gut feeling is he will be an excellent situational player this season, and one of the biggest draft surprises for the Patriots in years.

Celticboy04

I'm not fussed who has the better rookie season as long as Jones, Hightower and Bequette kick some serious butt as the season progresses and well into the playoffs.

I'm not fussed who has the better rookie season as long as Jones, Hightower and Bequette kick some serious butt as the season progresses and well into the playoffs.

This! Although I expect Hightower to cause some serious problems for offenses.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I just hope everyone stays healthy and Pats don't get hit with the injury bug this season....

It's tough enough having Mankins starting as a possible PUP candidate. Lets hope Vollmer is healthy also. :rocker:

No Brainer question: Hightower was the leader of the National Champions....

Greetings,
We all (should) want them to play great this year. I think many people put more emphasis on Jones is because Mark Anderson is gone and the Carter situation is uncertain. And the team really needs a Pass Rush and he has less competition. In all honesty, I have never anticipated rookies as nearly as much as this group.

Celticboy04

mayock also said robert ayers would be the best defensive player in his draft class lol....didnt even come close mayock

Every draft analyst makes major whiffs just like virtually every GM does. Mayock is better than most. He did say Mayo was the best defensive player in the 2008 draft and he was pretty much right there. Most draft analysts in reality are probably under .500 batters and that is at best.

I didn't say he was going to be right. I just said he had high praise for Jones. And if he is right, not that he would be right.

Read it again, I said that I wouldn't be shocked; in other words, I'm pretty sure we agree. ;)

I'm going to say Hightower for the simple reason it means I don't have to hear players like Guyton's or Tracy White's name during the defensive snaps anymore. But in all honestly, Jones is probably in a better position due to lack of depth at pass rush.

Last edited:
I'm going to say Hightower for the simple reason it means I don't have to hear players like Guyton's or Tracy White's name during the defensive snaps anymore. But in all honestly, Jones is probably in a better position due to lack of depth at pass rush.

I don't think you'll be hearing Guyton's name anymore ;)

Yeah but how 'bout them JETS?

Read it again, I said that I wouldn't be shocked; in other words, I'm pretty sure we agree. ;)

Sorry, my bad. I wouldn't be shocked if I had egg on my face right now.

I don't think you'll be hearing Guyton's name anymore ;)

Well, you never know. The guy could get cut by the Dolphins and somehow find his way on the Pats' roster again. God forbid.

Dont'a Hightower is much better fit for this defense right now. Jones needs to grew and learn more before he will be the speed rusher people are hoping for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News