PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Better Rookie Season - Hightower or Jones?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Better Rookie Season?

• Chandler Jones

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Dont'a Hightower

Votes: 42 72.4%
  • Neither will have significant Rookie seasons.

Votes: 5 8.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNathanDrake

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I'm rooting for Jones, since he was a pre-draft binkie AND we need a pass rusher badly. That DE/OLB job is his to lose. He doesn't have as much competition at the position, whereas Hightower will be fighting with Mayo/Spikes/Ninkovich for snaps.

But Hightower was one of the most NFL-ready players in the entire draft, coming out of the ultra competitive SEC and playing a pro style defense at Alabama. He was the leader of BAMA's defense, called plays, got the D lined up, and has experience in the 3-4 Defense.

Hopefully they both have stellar rookie years and help turn this defense around. But I see Hightower having more of an immediate impact as a rookie.

Last edited:
I agree completely. Jones needs to put on some weight so it'll take time.

At 265lbs, he's already perfect weight for OLB/DE. He might put on 5-10lbs if he's used more as a 43 DE, but he can easily do it.

I dont understand the whole "he needs to put on weight" thing.... Its not like he's Shawn Crable size. Jones is already a big boy.

Last edited:
IMO neither will make a serious impact as a rookie....Bill usually brings them along slowly

I do think Hightower will be a better pro

Last edited:
At 265lbs, he's already perfect weight for OLB/DE. He might put on 5-10lbs if he's used more as a 43 DE, but he can easily do it.

I dont understand the whole "he needs to put on weight" thing.... Its not like he's Shawn Crable size. Jones is already a big boy.

Since he's so tall he looks very skinny. Seems like he would get pushed around.

(ps. I would insert a picture but I'm not sure how to :( )

Donta seems just more NFL ready.

here he is getting pushed around...

jones_chandler_1.jpg

looks like he's anorexic compared to Hightower..

539w.jpg

He is exactly the same height and weight as Wille McGinest when he was here. He doesn't need to put on weight.

I will go with Hightower just because he played in a similar system in college and has a lower learning curve.

actually...he looks like a young NFL draftee...so whatever you need to make up or obsess about to feed your insecurities, have at it...odds are, he's going to put weight and muscle mass on as he gets older...like just about EVERYBODY does...

Don't be surprised if Bequette or even Wilson has a better rookie season than either of those 2

I think both are impact players but in different ways. Hightower has the look of a kid who is ready to step in right away. Jones has the freakish length and size that BB loves in a linebacker. He fits the McGinest prototype. We don't know for sure what we have yet since these guys haven't even stepped into training camp. That's when we get to see what they can do matched up against NFL athletes. Looking forward to it!

As for Bequette and Wilson having bigger impacts... I'm doubtful but I'm always willing to be pleasently surprised. Bequette to me looks suited fo a Mike Wright role and Wilson, I have no idea how he fits in. Let's hope for the best.

Last edited:
Don't be surprised if Bequette or even Wilson has a better rookie season than either of those 2

It does seem that way sometimes, doesn't it? You expect big things out of a first rounder (duh, because they drafted higher), but some later round pick seems to surprise.

As for the question at hand, I think they're somewhat different players. I see Jones as making more impact plays down the road, but might be slow in getting there. Hightower I see as being a steady, versatile pro, and probably will find a way to contribute right away.

So, short answer, Hightower short term, Jones long term (though possibly even getting there by playoff time year one).

IMO neither will make a serious impact as a rookie....Bill usually brings them along slowly

I do think Hightower will be a better pro

Mayo and McCourty started from Day 1.

Spikes, Chung, Cunningham, Meriweather all saw significant playing time as Rookies.

As for Bequette and Wilson having bigger impacts... I'm doubtful but I'm always willing to be pleasently surprised. Bequette to me looks suited fo a Mike Wright role and Wilson, I have no idea how he fits in. Let's hope for the best.

Remind me to never take your posts seriously again.

Bequette is a OLB/DE... Wright was DT.... Theres a massive weight difference between the two, and they are built NOTHING alike at all.

Last edited:
They both really should have good season, because they should have plenty of opportunities to get on the field, especially Jones.

Since he's so tall he looks very skinny. Seems like he would get pushed around.

(ps. I would insert a picture but I'm not sure how to :( )

To put a picture on,go to the source and click on the pic then click command a and then command x (copy and paste) and then go to post and click command v....then put img on both halves of the link and there you go

From what I've seen, heard, read, etc.....

Hightower will probably be starting from week one. Jones will probably be in a platoon situation, with a much smaller percentage of snaps. As a result, I expect Hightower to have the better rookie season, and I look at him as a likely DROY candidate.

Hightower will be ready to start from Day 1 and has a plethora of experience in an almost identical system. I'll go with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes